Sonic screwdriver that works on wooden doors

Stuffj

In "Silence in the Library", while trying to open a wooden door, the Doctor tells Donna that the sonic screwdriver won't work because the door is made of wood, a fact later restated in "The Hungry Earth" – when Rory complains about this, the Doctor counters to not "diss the sonic." (compliments of Wikipedia)

Hi, After noticing that The Doctor has trouble using his sonic on wooden doors and the like I decided it would be fun to make a "sub"sonic screwdriver that would help in this regard. I have made two of them so far and am in the process of making three more. I sold the first two on E-bay. This is how I met a member of the PRF who then told me I should check this site out. I have a few ideas of my own but would welcome any comments. I am a new member here so I am not attempting to sell anything however I am trying to see what kind of interest there is for this type of item.

Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that one of these? ;)

11971154711712468971BigRedSmile_A_screwdriver_1.svg.med.png

Interested to see some pics of what you've done!

Last edited:
I am trying to add a couple of pictures but am having trouble figuring out how to do it.

Use imageshack, photobucket or any other hosting service. Copy the direct link, click the add photo icon (yellow with a mountain and sun on it) when you make your post, paste the addess and that's it.

Stuffj, you can either upload image or use the following code to link to external images.

The real question is, why are you trying to run javascript here on the site?

Code:
[img]yourimageurl.jpg[/img]

What popped up?

EDIT: Never mind, I see the pics.

Looks nice - I like how the natural grain of the wood shows through.

Art Andrews asked why I was using Java. and the "popped up" comment was in answer to him. I think I am on track now. thanks

Look nice ,

So if there made from wood they work on wood,
I know its a fictitious item(from a Sci fi show) but have you given any thoughts to the physics to this?

of course. The way it works is that the organic material (wood that is) resonates at a lower "sub" sonic frequency allowing for a more base operation recognizing the primitive material's fundamental make up. The exact technology for this item was found on Bio station Alpha. The coordinates of Bio Station Alpha are 71 49'19.73"N 29 33'06.53"W. Google earth (mars) will take you right there. I am currently working on one that can pop a deadlock seal as well however I wont reveal the make up of this screwdriver just yet.

Now that the physics side is laid out, does anyone have any criticism of the actual screwdriver constructive or otherwise?

Aaron

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to obtain two of Stuffj's Wood Sonics:

woodsonic1.JPG

woodsonic2.JPG

The craftsmanship is exquisite, they are very unique and they are the stars of my sonic screwdirver collection.

The photos all show the sonics 'extended', but they retract as well. This is one of the things I like best about these is that just like the 11th Doctor on the tv show where he just flicks his wrist to get his sonic to extend (unlike the cheap toy knockoff), I can do the same action to get these to extend as well.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back