Question Something's triggering a virus threat

Yup. It took out both my laptops and now I can't access the internet on either one. I'm posting this from my phone. Can anybody help me fix this? Both my computers are pretty worthless right now!

When yours got hit, did it bring up a fake antivirus called 'win7 security' or something like that? That's what happened to me. I followed these instructions from my phone:
Remove Win 7 Antispyware 2012 and Vista Antivirus 2012 name changing rogue (Uninstall Guide)

After you do this, I recommend keeping malwarebytes installed, as everytime I visit the forum (and some other forums), those ads try to infect my computer again. Malwarebytes seems like it is keeping everything at bay.

When yours got hit, did it bring up a fake antivirus called 'win7 security' or something like that? That's what happened to me. I followed these instructions from my phone:
Remove Win 7 Antispyware 2012 and Vista Antivirus 2012 name changing rogue (Uninstall Guide)

After you do this, I recommend keeping malwarebytes installed, as everytime I visit the forum (and some other forums), those ads try to infect my computer again. Malwarebytes seems like it is keeping everything at bay.
Okay, that fix worked! So when is it safe to normally climb back on the RPF?

Oh goody; last night and tonight I'm getting new messages...info bar pops up saying that IE has "modifed the page to prevent cross-scripting". :confused

Only getting it here, and just occasionally. I usually have several tabs open at once, and once I get that message in a tab, it comes up every time I go to another page with that tab. Other tabs are normal :rolleyes

Our home PC just got nailed with this goofy thing while I was surfing the rpf.. Malware bytes and a system restore, here I come.

Gary

Anybody else getting hit with viruses from the ads?

I keep getting Norton messages about viruses from the various ads that pop up from the top of the forum. It will let me know it blocked it and then the ad box at the top of the forum stays blank. My home pc is blocking them, but I got hit at work the other day with a Google hijack and it took me two days to fix it. Can we please ditch them? Thanks,
John

Re: Anybody else getting hit with viruses from the ads?

Jedified there is a two page thread about this very issue.:)

Odd...was this thread combined with the other one?

Last edited:
I'm just going to surf the rpf from my iPad now. This is the second or third time I've had this happen on the rpf since they started with revenue ads. Visiting this site shouldn't have to be a crap shoot.

Can I use my eight week old as an excuse? Just this once? :). Thanks.

Just got another. The ad it blocked was through PixFuture.

We just knocked out a ton of potential places these could be coming from. Please watch and let us know what you see. We have one other area to test if this current round doesn't handle it.

We have now removed pixfuture entirely from the site in addition to the lockdown I mentioned above. Please let us know if you see any additional issues.

I think there's a virus on the forum

I just was here, and my Anti-virus popped up, closed the forum and started running some sort of Vista 2012 scan that I don't recall having. I can't open my security center either.

I had a problem with a simillar virus several weeks back. I used the microsoft antiviral software to correct it. Worked well. Of concern, my Norton did not id or eradicate the virus.

Doc

I got a virus while on the RPF a couple of days ago.
Had my Kaspersky off at the time.
Turned it back on to an infection:
HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic
which I cannot quarantine because it imbedded in the operating system:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys

It happened again today, but I was on our newer computer and the Kaspersky caught it.
I'm not sure where I was when I got the hit,
because I closed the window when it happened.

This trojan opens another window; the other one was a pretend virus protection program.
Sorry if that isn't a helpful description,
my computer powers are rather minimal.

Mike

Re: I think there's a virus on the forum

I had a similar rogue antivirus pop up not too long ago - "Win 7 Antivirus 2012." Wouldn't let me run anything, until I bought their full version of the software. (Or found authorization keys online.) Had a heck of a time getting it removed. Were I to get to meet whoever designed it, I'd congratulate him for doing a a very thorough job.

Then I'd beat him to death with my bare hands.

Since it is a scam, I will eagerly share a few product keys that unlock the program long enough to get a real antivirus/malware program to clean it off:

1147-175591-6550
2233-298080-3424
3425-814615-3990 (The one that worked for my particular version.)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back