Something different from Logan's Run - A Unique 3D printed particle cannon - Rubber Band Shooter

propmaster2000

Sr Member
I am still working on my own 3D printed Logan's Run - Deep Sleep Sandman "working flame output" Particle Cannon (another thread), but at this time I am waiting for parts delivery, so I thought I would create something a little different which I am pretty sure know one has done with this 3D printed prop pistol (at least I haven't seen it done).
Currently there are many 3D printed versions that have added LEDs at the business end to act as the flame output and I suppose I will do the same with this new version, but mine will do a bit more: WATCH THE VIDEO TO SEE HOW IT WORKS.
I still have to finish painting it before I go after those pesky runners :)
"RUN RUNNER"! rubber band target shooter.

Last edited:
Thanks
You can do an arcade style target shooting.
* Have a back drop that has various size holes and scoring appropriately (higher marks for smaller holes).
* Hang targets down to see if you can hit them.
* Even place hooks on a wall to see if you can hang the rubber band on them....
* Knock over styrofoam cups, etc.
Mark the rubber bands with small pieces of numbered tape to keep track of them and make them easier to find after shooting.
Maybe find glow in the dark rubber bands that can be held in some kind of holder with a bright light to keep the glow charge
on the rubber bands or UV sensitive for a Black Lighted room.
While working on my flaming version of the pistol, I was thinking how the design of it lent itself well to making a rubber band shooter.
The barrel is naturally long and a good length for stretching a small diameter rubber band.
The trigger mechanism could easily be designed in the barrel to release the band from the far end.
It will be even better when I add the LED's up front.
It kind of brings back the "kid in me" :)
I may even consider selling a kit of printed parts on eBay....
run runner shooter sm.jpg

Last edited:
Since designing my target shooter, I have been looking for things to shoot at around the house.
However, having to locate the rubber bands after making the attempt at a target has become a bit of an issue.
So, I decided to create a shooting gallery of items that represent items seen in the movie to shoot at, putting them
in a large size, open front cardboard box to help keep the rubber bands localized.
I could put the gallery set up on a TV tray and bring it out while watching TV and have target practice during commercials.
.........................................................................................................................................
The entire arcade box could look something like this "Box", with an open chest area with various targets on platforms to aim for:

box_robot.jpg

Maybe put a light in it and add bells and whistles when a target is hit.
Then later add a laser pointer to get a better aim, as well as shoot light sensitive targets too. (just thinking out loud here).
logan_s_run___control_room targets.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9eUc6vPvI
UPDATE VIDEO:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxfGl5FLwfA

Last edited:
I did a bit more work on the earlier prototype rubber band shooter by adding brighter LED light to the nozzle when fired.
The nozzle was modified to hold 4 Bright Blue LED's.

20190428_123750.jpg

20190428_124049.jpg

I gave the pistol a quick black paint job with no prep work just to get a better idea as to how it will look.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTu7xIO3Iw8
20190428_221332.jpg

20190428_221401.jpg

Last edited:
I can't seem to put this thing down .:)
To make my Lighted 3D printed Sandman Particle Cannon Sidearm even more accurate then other versions I've seen online and eBay, I not only have the Ultra Bright LED (4 of them) up front at the nozzle but my Glow plug toggle switch will also be a working toggle switch and not just 3D printed.
The 3d printed toggle "bat" will break off fairly easy if pushed.
Also, I have the more accurate flat head "slot" style screws and not the Phillips type.
Since I'll have a working switch, I went ahead and made the first ever simulated working Glow Plug using a modified 3mm amber LED
that will be mounted up front and I will have the visible black wire running to the glow plug to the back of the nozzle.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=neA_e4LA8Y8

Last edited:
It never fails, just when you get rolling on a project, higher priority issues take precedence.
Now that I am back on track, I have been steadily working on this prop/toy gun representation from Logan's Run.
This is not a 3D printed replica to be put in a lighted show case and displayed.
It is however a 3D printed close approximation of the well known weapon that is to be used for Cosplay and/or target
practice fun and games :)
There are many differences in this version that was entirely 3D rendered/modeled from scratch from photos posted on the net,
with many unique internal parts to give it flare and functionality!
There is nothing quite like this available.
run runner rubberband shooter all parts.jpg

This is a photo of most of the parts needed to make this "prop" do what it does:
IMG_0550-1.jpg

Since this version is mostly for go, not show, I didn't put a lot of time in the exterior finish.
It was designed for flawless functionality and fun :)
If I sell this version in KIT form, an assembly video will be produced and made available.
A kit will of course be less expensive then a working assemble version (still working the details) and
will take some prepping during the assembly process for the parts to fit snugly as intended in the design.
Here is the most recent video of the toy/prop as it is now:

Last edited:
I was wondering if lining/painting the barrel end and plug with chrome or silver would make it flash brighter. Seeing something metalic on the inside of the barrel would seem more realistic.
IMG_0550marked.jpg

One thing is for sure, I really get a kick out of designing and creating things from nothing, and using a 3D printer has made this
possible in so many ways which I never could have before.
Seeing and holding something in 3 dimensions, as well as having all the parts fit together correctly, has made my hobby even more
enjoyable and I hope that parents are able to introduce this wonderful tool to the younger generation.
When designing my rubberband shooter, visualizing it was one thing, but creating it in this fashion is another.
run runner rubberband shooter all parts.jpg

That's pretty cool!
I'm not so interested in the rubber band shooting aspect, but having a light-up sandman pistol would be great.
I don't think I want to mess around with making a flame shooter, but the lights make it more than a dust collector.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back