Some of the Star Wars prototype and production work Global Effects did for Anovos

Pretty incredible, what’s the largest mold you’ve ever made?
Over 35 years, we have made a couple large molds. (Full size Mercury capsule)
But one of my favorite was for a real spacecraft prototype.
In 2005 I was hired by Transformational Space to be part of the design team, and build a 1:1 engineering mock up of their "Crew Transfer Vehicle" (CXV) as part of the NASA commercial space program. (Eventually Boing and Space X won the contracts)

The nose cone was 10 feet in dimeter (63"r) so we made a pattern sweep and swept 1/3rd section of it with WED clay, then made an FRP mold.

This is the clay pattern. (The sweep tool on the right) And the FRP mold.
DSC00641.JPG
DSC00643.JPG

Here is the final spacecraft mockup (Photographed at Bigelow aerospace) The finished ship was 14 feet in diameter and 15 feet long. The side panels were fabricated from 1/4" Sintra. The whole ship broke down and could be transported in a semi.
Image-A9E8B7E3FA4111D9.jpeg

Will these new FO rubber gaskets ever be sold anywhere? Looking for a better option haha
I wish they had been sold, they were pretty nice. The short run we did was done with not the best latex, so the ones we had left over got pretty stiff after a couple of years, so we tossed them.

I wish they had been sold, they were pretty nice. The short run we did was done with not the best latex, so the ones we had left over got pretty stiff after a couple of years, so we tossed them.
Ah gotcha. Thought you might have still the molds but reading the upper comment I guess you sent all to the manufacturers. Too bad :(

Over 35 years, we have made a couple large molds. (Full size Mercury capsule)
But one of my favorite was for a real spacecraft prototype.
In 2005 I was hired by Transformational Space to be part of the design team, and build a 1:1 engineering mock up of their "Crew Transfer Vehicle" (CXV) as part of the NASA commercial space program. (Eventually Boing and Space X won the contracts)

The nose cone was 10 feet in dimeter (63"r) so we made a pattern sweep and swept 1/3rd section of it with WED clay, then made an FRP mold.

This is the clay pattern. (The sweep tool on the right) And the FRP mold.
View attachment 1534176View attachment 1534175

Here is the final spacecraft mockup (Photographed at Bigelow aerospace) The finished ship was 14 feet in diameter and 15 feet long. The side panels were fabricated from 1/4" Sintra. The whole ship broke down and could be transported in a semi.
View attachment 1534177
dude.... this is so damn cool! wow!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back