Some new dreads

hez1

Made a new dread mold this week, plan on making a couple more, but I figured I'd show off the dreads coming out of them. These are short P1 style dreads (although the mold itself is still for 24" ones). In both pics, the seam lines on the dreads are facing the camera. :p

IMG_3225.jpg.gif

IMG_3228.jpg.gif

damn paul you weren't kiddin' about them seam lines! hot damn those look good. make sure you cast your own set first!

Those dreads look great Hez! Will probably buy some from you soon.

Now these are the dreads you sell on your Skunkworks site right?

What kind of foam are you using? How much are you overstuffing the molds and what kind of backpressure do you have? Can you post some pics of the molds you use?

Thanks everyone. Dreads really are a pain in the ass to get right, so it's nice when it comes together. Yes, these are the ones that are on my site.

Termokk, I'm using kryolan cold foam. I'm not overstuffing the molds at all, in fact when the foam expanded for these dreads it didn't even fill the mold fully. As such, there is no back pressure either. If you get the mix right, you shouldn't need it.

Thanks everyone. Dreads really are a pain in the ass to get right, so it's nice when it comes together. Yes, these are the ones that are on my site.

Termokk, I'm using kryolan cold foam. I'm not overstuffing the molds at all, in fact when the foam expanded for these dreads it didn't even fill the mold fully. As such, there is no back pressure either. If you get the mix right, you shouldn't need it.

Thanks i appreciate that. I been casting my own all day and they have been getting a fuzzy foamy texture on the outside. I determined that i think the silpak foam is reacting to the smooth-on silicon because when i added a layer of mold release to it they started skinning beter. These are a pain in the butt.

Thanks i appreciate that. I been casting my own all day and they have been getting a fuzzy foamy texture on the outside. I determined that i think the silpak foam is reacting to the smooth-on silicon because when i added a layer of mold release to it they started skinning beter. These are a pain in the butt.
Yes, mold release will help them skin. I did the same with the new molds, I tried it without the release agent (just to see) and the first one didn't skin very well at all, and was still kind of greasy/sticky. A light coat of release agent and the problem went away. I don't know if the silpak foam will be the same, but you can vary the floppyness of the dreads by adjusting the mix ratio with the kryolan. Less part a will produce a softer, more flexible dread for instance. In the quantities used for dreads I'm talking about maybe 1 gram though...nothing huge.

Hope that helps some, be thankful you didn't try the smooth on foam first!

They look awesome Paul.

I would be after a set but since you helped me with a few pointers i can and have made my own now, ( P2 1st go ) which just goes to show Pauls attitude to this stuff, he willingly helped me, even though he has done himself out of a order etc.

As much as i like booies dreds, pauls texture fit better with Preds ( ignoring scar again :D )

Now we know you can do bios, and dreads.....................................how about a mask :)

Yes, mold release will help them skin. I did the same with the new molds, I tried it without the release agent (just to see) and the first one didn't skin very well at all, and was still kind of greasy/sticky. A light coat of release agent and the problem went away. I don't know if the silpak foam will be the same, but you can vary the floppyness of the dreads by adjusting the mix ratio with the kryolan. Less part a will produce a softer, more flexible dread for instance. In the quantities used for dreads I'm talking about maybe 1 gram though...nothing huge.

So, you're measuring out both parts by weight? What would you estimate is a good weight of each part? If you don't use enough the first pour, do you see a line if you add to it on a second pout? Thanks for all the great tips, Hez. You're cutting out a bunch of headaches, which is much appreciated!

Thanks again. I have somthing i thought of for you hez, i looked up that krylon foam too see what it was all about. I found its more than twice as expensive as the silpak 200-4 foam i am using, and it seems to be producing comperable dreads. Might save you some money. Thought for the community.

Lee, I have some more bios that need doing, but after that, there's a mask planned...:D

The weight ratio will vary between foams. In fact it even varies between different batches of the kryolan. I think I use something like a 68/32 ratio, and vary it as needed.

I'll look into the silpak, might be good to try some others.

I use silicone molds. Unfortunately if you just want to make dreads for yourself, making them will probably be more expensive than just buying a set. Not to say that you shouldn't, but be aware if you're thinking of doing it to save money, it doesn't really work like that.

do you have a trade in program for us to trade our old style hez dreads for the new ones lol jk man they look fantastic i'm going to need some new ones for my other head before long so I'll hit you up.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back