Some cold cast bio pics

hez1

I got a light box built today, which has allowed me to finally take some decent shots of my cold cast bios. There's a lot of pics below, so if you're on dial up, you might want to go and make a cup of tea or something.

P1, cold cast bronze

P1cc1.jpg.gif

P1cc2.jpg.gif

P1cc3.jpg.gif

P1cc4.jpg.gif

P1cc5.jpg.gif

P2, cold cast copper

P2a.jpg.gif

P2b.jpg.gif

P2c.jpg.gif

P2d.jpg.gif

P2e.jpg.gif

P2f.jpg.gif

Gort, cold cast aluminum

gort1.jpg.gif

gort2.jpg.gif

Thanks guys! Bryan, I have several shots of the original P2 stunt bio, the HCG matches it pretty well, although it's a little too matte. I tried to match it as closely as I could, it's a lot more subtle than people seem to think.

These really look good. I think if I put one on, I'd actually feel like I had a metal biohelmet on my head.

I've read about the process of cold casting metals on the Smooth-On web site. What kind of resin did you use for these? And did you use just one straight metallic powder, or did you mix and match them? I'm trying to figure out how you got variations in color, like where some parts are shinier than others or where there are darker spots in the pits. Is it just a matter of polishing the cold cast and underlying metal afterward, or did you use Rub n' Buff, or are there more variations to the process?

I used the smooth on 325 resin for them, pigmented black. They're all just single metals, although I might try mixing them at some point. The process was different for all of them. For the P2, I polished it up pretty good, and then used colored waxes that were brushed on and left to dry. Before they dry totally, they're given a rub to bring up a shine. The wax build up in the recesses is what gives the definition on the P2. The Gort was polished, burned with a blowtorch, and then brushed with alumablack. Then scrubbed with steel wool.

The P1 just had a ton of patinas thrown at it. Some went on hot, some went on cold, it was kind of a crapshoot. I've tried to replicate the look on another bio, and failed miserably. That one is one of a kind.

Got some black velvet for a background. This stuff is freaking expensive, but it makes stuff look like it's just floating in space. Took some more of the P2, and this is probably the best set of pics I've ever taken of it.

IMG_0257-1.jpg.gif

IMG_0258-1.jpg.gif

IMG_0259-1.jpg.gif

IMG_0260-1.jpg.gif

minus the white in the corners the pictures came out great...I always liked using a dark background because it makes the highlight and lowlights of the object pop...like we see in your pics

minus the white in the corners the pictures came out great...I always liked using a dark background because it makes the highlight and lowlights of the object pop...like we see in your pics
Heh...I meant to do some clean up in photoshop, but forgot about it. I'll fix them up and re-upload.

hezzy wezzy can I have one? Had to bro sorry!

Pardon my ignorance... but how exactly do you go about making these "cold cast" bios. I have heard the term before with Jango helmets and was still unclear as to what it meant... How does that work?

sweet pics, on some sweet bios Paul.

i only just found out about plain backgrounds, im currently using the dogs blanket which has a black reverse lol ( yeah im cheap )

Hez, are you dusting the molds with the metal powder before you pour? I have done this with a few of my pieces and it makes a big diifference in the polishing

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back