Solving Bandai Stormtrooper's short neck issue

Galactican

Sr Member
Hi guys,

I am currently building the Bandai Stormtrooper and have found a very simple solution to the short neck problem.

Instead of cutting the neck joint and prolonging it by adding some of the unused polycap parts I chose to insert a piece of foam into the head:

DSCF1127.jpg

DSCF1129.jpg

DSCF1130.jpg

Neck before...

DSCF1133.jpg

... and after the insertion.

DSCF1134.jpgDSCF1135.jpgDSCF1136.jpg

As you can see, the head is still fully articulated and held in place firmly by the foam piece. The thickness of the foam piece determines how far the head is pushed up.

The best thing is, this procedure can be applied to models which have already been built. I'll add a template which you can print to make your own neck extension piece shortly. :)

Last edited:
OK folks, here comes the template - as promised ;) :

Stormtrooper neck piece.png

Print the pattern at 300 dpi and you will be fine. The piece has to be a tad larger than the recess of the head to make sure that it does not fall out of the head. In addition, the hole in the center must be big enough to hold on the joint firmly (don't cut it too big). Have fun and enjoy! :)

2 mm foam will suffice. As I said, the thicker the foam, the higher the neck. Here are some pics of my finished build (with neck extension :D ):

DSCF1150.jpgDSCF1149.jpgDSCF1151.jpgDSCF1152.jpg

What's best about this way is, you don't damage anything and you are able to display the model as originally intended if you take out the foam piece again. :)

That guy in the front does look a little short for a Stormtrooper. Maybe he's undercover!!
:p

Thanks, Galactican, I will probably use this. Personally, I think the issue is more a matter of the shoulder pads being too high - but fixing the neck to make it look better seems easier.

That guy in the front does look a little short for a Stormtrooper. Maybe he's undercover!!

Thanks, Galactican, I will probably use this. Personally, I think the issue is more a matter of the shoulder pads being too high - but fixing the neck to make it look better seems easier.

Yep I think thats the main issue,.....de-shrug the shoulders

J

I agree. When I was looking for screenshots and pics of the original costume before I started the build I also noticed that A LOT of the Stormies were rather short-necked. Considering that there were 50+ different suits made for the OT Bandai's design is fairly correct. It just displays one of the "shorties" (in a shrugging pose, but, well, that's life :D ). ;) So it is definitely a matter of personal preference - which is why I was looking for an easy fix which would not affect the original design of the kit. You are free to return to the shortie anytime by removing the foam piece and attaching the head to the original joint. :)

If you're displaying a few together it might be cool to have slight variance , so fix neck and shoulders on one, just neck on another and so on, maybe even the rubber gasket over the eyes, subtle enough not to be obvious but it might make the platoon more realistic .....MM. Good excuse to buy a few LOL,
thanks for sharing, looks like this technique can be used on multiple bandai kits

I wasn't referring to the guy in the front, but all Troopers on that pic. They all have the helmet almost resting on the chest with hardly any neck visible. That is true for almost every TK in the movie, as the helmet is rather big and sits way below the chin. The pics of Luke and Han show exactly that.

Indeed. They changed the costumes for the sequels a bit, allowing for a greater range of movement and a more comfortable fit. So there is a large variety of different troopers; enough to build an army! ;)

I'm late to the game, but picked up this kit and going to take your advice and foam my trooper.

I love the kit but something did always seem off to me, and I agree with your neck theory.

Glad I found this thread. Many thanks.

Yeah, after build the Shadowtrooper kit I think that is the issue The neck is ok, it is the shoulder pads being too high like they are shrugging. I had debated seeing if there was a way to cut down the plug on the top of the shoulders to make them fit better/closer

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back