SOLVED - (Thanks) - Joining dowels

SFPinkSmartie

Hello,

Just wondering if I could get the some advice or even a decent link to a tutorial on the best way to make a joint between two dowels that can be separated when needed, similar to a snooker cue.

I'm yet to find any good resources online. From what I have found though, I could use two tee nuts and a threaded rod but I've really know idea if this is the best way to go. I was able to test this however the m8 tee nut split the dowel (test piece) so I will most likely have to go smaller, I used m8 it because I have a m8 threaded rod in the house. The dowel has a 25mm diameter and is just over a meter long, then split in half.

As I mentioned I really don't know the best way to do this so any advise would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Help - Joining dowels

Drill a hole inside each of the dowels, and place a peg inside there… and join the two…. google dowel pin.

Dowel_Pins_8478FFC198FDA.jpg

The tee nuts should work fine, might need to go smaller with them to get the prongs a bit farther from the edges of the dowel. There is also more split resistant tee nuts:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#90975a055/=16fhr0u
https://www.mcmaster.com/#90598a027/=16fhrcq

I'm assuming you're not in the US, so McMaster probably isn't your best source, but that shows some options.

Something else to consider using what you have, the prongs on the nut probably have a sharp point, which increases the chance of splitting the wood. You can dull them a bit so that it doesn't split the grain and crushes it instead. Use a hammer (might need a nail punch of something similar) to lightly tap the ends of the prongs and round them a bit, same thing you would when using a finishing nail.

Drill a hole inside each of the dowels, and place a peg inside there… and join the two…. google dowel pin.

Thanks I don't think these would be great in the long run for durability.

The tee nuts should work fine, might need to go smaller with them to get the prongs a bit farther from the edges of the dowel. There is also more split resistant tee nuts:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#90975a055/=16fhr0u
https://www.mcmaster.com/#90598a027/=16fhrcq

I'm assuming you're not in the US, so McMaster probably isn't your best source, but that shows some options.

Something else to consider using what you have, the prongs on the nut probably have a sharp point, which increases the chance of splitting the wood. You can dull them a bit so that it doesn't split the grain and crushes it instead. Use a hammer (might need a nail punch of something similar) to lightly tap the ends of the prongs and round them a bit, same thing you would when using a finishing nail.

Thanks for the advice, Yeah I think going m6 would be better, I think the wood split because the m8 tee nut was 1/2mm smaller than the dowel so it was rather close to the edges. Tee nuts usually work under compression will they still stay in place for this usage? When I was doing a test using the m8 the threaded rod removed the tee nut every time.

I've ordered some threaded inserts similar to these to try out: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2628...=1007276&device=c&campaignid=737386489&crdt=0

I would look for even longer threaded inserts attached inside their holes with the help of some kind of adhesive goop - such as thickened epoxy. Maybe even make the inserts myself from pipe - the length being limited by my ability to tap them.
As the insert gets longer, it gets harder to get them aligned though. The hole needs to have been drilled right in the middle and very straight, but that is where the goop comes in - giving you a little bit of play before it has set.

You need coupling nuts. Grind up the outside, drill a big hole, shove it in with lots of epoxy, done. The alignment itself across both pieces is by far the more difficult part when doing stuff like this.

If you can, add extra lengths of threaded rod to the unused end of the coupling nut, and drill an extra long narrower hole for that. The longer something is, the easier it's going to be to set up a jig to align it to the part's axis- it's all about the cosine error!

Alternatively, drill oversize holes to give you some floating time before the epoxy sets, and set both inserts with your coupling rod already installed- then align the two main pieces you're joining while the epoxy's liquid. I'd set up a jig for that too, prior to starting.

Thanks for the advice so far, My biggest worry was drilling the holes perfectly straight however I think I have that sorted now as my brother has access to the tools to do just this luckily, so I will get the dowels drilled out this weekend.

I did consider the pool cue attachments however I was hoping to source parts locally so I could get this done quickly, I'll certainly keep it open for consideration.

Thanks for the suggestions, got it sorted. Well my brother did the work. Now I know he can do this he may be getting more visits from me mwhahaha.

dowels.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back