Solo ANH Hero Scope Mount. New Pics near the end

Gabe,

Maybe you should change your scanning resolution. The ususal one is 150x150 pixels per square inch, there should be an option to change it to higher definition. My scanner is not very good and you can put it up to 300x300 ppp maximum and gives you really big and detailed image for a 8x10 pic.

Let me know if it works out ;).

Thanks Gabe for the pic. :thumbsup
Yes, it is at 150 DPI, and I have already asked if I can get a 300 DPI scan. Until then this is what I could do with it. Here it is at 150 DPI:
Han_ANH_BLASTER_1.jpg

And here is the same image bumped up by me to 300 DPI, where photoshop 'creates' the pixels to better the resolution:
Han_ANH_BLASTER_2.jpg

I'll re-post the 300 DPI versions if I can get them from a new scan from Gabe.

Here are a few others I found on my hard drive I tried to brighten up:
Han_ANH_BLASTER_3.jpg

Han_ANH_BLASTER_4.jpg

Han_ANH_BLASTER_5.jpg

Han_ANH_BLASTER_6.jpg

Han_ANH_BLASTER_7.jpg

And that "monstrosity on the bull barrel just behind the suppressor" I believe are the 'Lightsaber grip T-RACK' and 'switch tip' greeblies someone found on this board from another thread about the Merr-son / ANH Han common blaster greeblies:
Han_ANH_BLASTER_8.jpg

merr_sonn9.jpg

Merr%20Sonn%20antenna%20tip.jpg

(I forget who posted these, so my apologies for the pics I just re-posted. I hope its cool to re-post them, since it's to help us all out on this blaster part detail in question.) :)

And another just for fun (and HOPEFULLY new info.) :D
sittingtarget%20l.jpg

Hope this helps.

Brinn 71

EDITED for pic errors and typos. :lol

Off topic I know,but it proves to me once and for all that the ANH Han had three sets of holes running the length of his belt with the two buckle pins. :D Not that I ever doubted it ;)

Steve

Gabe,

I have to agree with the russian make, I like the idea of the SKS because I had a similar scope mount on an SKS I used to own. However, my scope was welded directly to the bolt cover.

I guess we just have to keep on keeping on.

Awesome new pics :))))))

Gabe came through and provided me with not only a 300DPI scan of the blaster pic, but a 600 DPI scan. Here it is for you all to enjoy:
Han_ANH%20Blaster%20600_dpi.jpg

Brinn 71

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

I'm considering a temporary leave of absence from the RPF for personal reasons. Rest assured, I will not stop contributing to this topic. If anything, I'll have more time to devote to it and the replica scope and bracket I'm planning as a result:

Scope_mount_teaser.JPG

If I do take a break, you'll still find me posting on this and other topics over at Prop Circle.

Thanks, and please no PMs, as my box is nearly full. I can always be reached by e-mail at proprunner@aol.com or on AOL/AIM as Prop Runner for a chat.

Sorry for the needless drama.

- Gabe

I'm still in the boat that the scope mount was a custom made one by Bapty, especially when considering how sloppy it really was - the holes for the scope top rings were drilled asymmetrically, the front left screw has no recess, and it was blued, not painted - it would have probably been painted if it was any kind of off-the-shelf scope mount, I think.

ANH_heroB[1].JPG

No recess for screw.

ANH_hero-cc2-3cb[1].JPG

And asymmetrical screw locations.

Custom made..probably.
But a factory-made mount does not imply a painted finish...pretty much ALL of the wartime scopes, mounts and other gun accs. were blued and not painted. the powdercoating/ painting is a feature that was added MUCH later.

Markus

I'm still in the boat that the scope mount was a custom made one by Bapty, especially when considering how sloppy it really was - the holes for the scope top rings were drilled asymmetrically, the front left screw has no recess, and it was blued, not painted - it would have probably been painted if it was any kind of off-the-shelf scope mount, I think.

View attachment 357334

No recess for screw.

View attachment 357335

And asymmetrical screw locations.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that... I assumed that most of the scope mounts and other gun accessories would be factory painted, not blued. Bapty would easily have the capability of bluing a scope mount, likely made of steel. Thanks for the info!

I'm convinced of two things:
1) This is not actually a scope mount
2) This is also not custom made by Bapty

Bapty specializes in weapons. If they wanted to make a scope mount, they would at least make one that conforms to the standards of typical scope mounts. That solid piece that covers the bottom of the scope makes zero sense, and it's not adjustable in any practical way. It just doesn't add up for me.

I started thinking about what would have been lying around at Bapty back in the 70s, other than guns... and the first thing that came to mind was tools.
After spending quite a lot of time staring at old vintage hand and power tools, I have a theory on what this may be: I believe this is a re-purposed part from a vintage drill press or lathe. I haven't been able to locate anything that looks exactly like it, but there are more than a few lathe tailstocks and drill press parts that share a resemblance.

Take this one for example (specifically the clamp near the bottom):
$_1.JPG

Thoughts? Am I completely misguided here?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back