Soldier 76 Gun - WIP (Picture Heavy) UPDATE: 02/06 - Getting close to done!

devnl

Inspired by my favorite game of the moment (Overwatch) I decided to shoot for the stars and try to create Solider 76's gun out of foam. I have to admit that I haven't done a lot of these builds but I decided that since this is a pretty big project I'd probably learn along the way and boy did I. I had a lot of help using this post by Hopli so thanks for that!

The gun has a lot of different parts so it all began by getting a decent template from it, which luckily is easily available on Google.

RaKMPqJ.jpg

The main shape then got translated onto a piece of MDF wood, approx 1cm in thickness. I also measured out the pieces I would need from a 32mm PVC pipe using tape.

tdsTJEU.jpg

I then made a copy of my template and started cutting out all the seperate parts I would need to have. At first I added additional thickness to the handle part and filled any imperfections with wood filler which I found really easy to use and it sands like a charm to create a smooth finish. Might not look like much in this picture yet though, but it has saved my life a lot during this build.

6w1CjFb.jpg

After the bulk for the handle part was added I started working on adding even more parts to it simply by stacking up layers of 2, 5 and 7mm foam. The yellow foam was bought during carnaval and its not that great to be honest. It is way too uncompressed to be any good so I would not recommend it. In the end I should've probably gone for the denser foam (as I did for almost all of the build).

6gb7MTy.jpg xjTyw0v.jpg

To create the rocket launcher at the front I took a blue cycling bottle and covered it in foam. I cut a hole in the bottom which would become the barrel of the rocket launcher. I took a piece of my PVC pipe and cut out most of the sides where the LED would end up. Added a switch near the light and a battery holder at the very bottom and this piece slides in nicely through the top of the bottle when the cap is off. The cap is then put back on and attached to the gun itself. The PVC pipe is capped off at the front of the rocket launcher by a cheap aluminium door knob and the blue light coming through the barrel when the light is on looks awesome.

mQKrp6I.jpg lT5xGeJ.jpg RdjMLaX.jpg Lm6BW2F.jpg

The main body of the gun looked something like this at that point in time:

8Bs0KMO.jpg

The gun is currently much further and actually almost close to painting, but I will see if I can gather some more pictures of the rest of the progress. However, I've come to the part where I need to seal it all in. The process so far for some of the separate parts has been to put on a few layers of Mod Podge and then Plasti Dip them. However, as has happened on some of my previous projects (which is the reason they never saw the light of day) I cannot seem to master Plasti Dip. I always get loads of small bubbles but cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. So I'm thinking of skipping the Plasti Dip step altogether and simply applying additional coats of Mod Podge.

Is this a viable solution? What are the downsides to only Mod Podging and not Plasti Dipping? Would paint not stick to it as good as it would with Plasti Dip? Or are there any other things about not Plasti Dipping that would mess up the end result if I were to decide to go the Mod Podge only route? I appreciate all the help I can get because I want to finish this as best as I can and Plasti Dip simply seems to be too unreliable for me.

Last edited:
Re: Soldier 76 Gun - WIP (Picture Heavy) + PlastiDip question

Inspired by my favourite game of the moment (Overwatch) I decided to shoot for the stars and try to create Solider 76's gun out of foam. I have to admit that I haven't done a lot of these builds but I decided that since this is a pretty big project I'd probably learn along the way and boy did I. I had a lot of help using this post by Hopli so thanks for that!

Is this a viable solution? What are the downsides to only Mod Podging and not Plasti Dipping? Would paint not stick to it as good as it would with Plasti Dip? Or are there any other things about not Plasti Dipping that would mess up the end result if I were to decide to go the Mod Podge only route? I appreciate all the help I can get because I want to finish this as best as I can and Plasti Dip simply seems to be too unreliable for me.

Thank you for your kind words!!! I know sealing can be scary. I will do testing on scrap first to be sure It doesn't fail. You can also try wood glue to seal the foam (see my iron man build) . But test on scrap first!! Every foam is different and the grey foam I use (cosplayshop.be) doesn't need any sealing at all.

The only reason I'm thinking of plasti-dip is for durability.

Btw your rifle looks great! I'm jealous of the front grip, I can't do the bevels on mine. i tried but the different layers of foam and wood make it impossible to sand them in. it will be the only detail missing on mine sadly enough. I might try to mimic it by making a rised bevel instead of a pit. We'll see.

Can't wait to see some completed pictures!

-Hopli-

Re: Soldier 76 Gun - WIP (Picture Heavy) + PlastiDip question

I cut those bevels out using a Dremel bit like this one:

attach-cutting-wheel-2.jpg

Then I used the wood filler to even out any imperfections. So let's get some more pictures of this in so we can catch up to where I'm at right now!

First step was cutting the parts to buff up the front of the gun. There were 4 of these needed and getting all the bevels the way they should be was a chore.

eDHA4u4.jpg hpOowZX.jpg

Next up was finishing the barrel part. The first pass was completely wrong as you might be able to see in this image. Especially the left side of it in this picture was not how it should be so I tore that off again and redid it somewhere along the way.

FUyEKCM.jpg

Then I started cutting up some more detail pieces that go around the center of the gun. This picture shows those pinned on instead of glued on because I will most likely glue those on somewhere near the end of this build. That way it gives me easier access to the barrel which still needs some wiring for LEDs etc.

ujKbI4t.jpg

Next up for me were the sights on the top of the gun. I started out using some 5mm and 1cm thick foam and created all the layers needed. Pinned them together to see how it would fit and then glued it all together. It attaches to the gun using magnets, because underneath this part will be where all the magic comes together. It will cover up 2 9V batteries that have a spot carved out for them in the body of the gun and will hold all the wiring that connects the LEDs to the battery. I also added additional details like the sights.

1lplNwH.jpg

With a lot of the foam work out the way the last thing remaining was to create these parts. I would not know how to call them, but they sit on the side of the barrel and hold the lights that move along them when the gun is fired. I made them mostly in the same way as Hopli made his. They attach to the gun using magnets. The little bridge that holds 2 of these together is missing in these pictures but it's on there.

xFqM1Fd.jpg eZJeoyy.jpg

A lot of these pictures are dark, which I'm aware of but that is mostly because a lot of work on this goes on in the evening :) I'll see if I can take some pictures during the day next time :)

Re: Soldier 76 Gun - WIP (Picture Heavy) UPDATE: 10/05 - Basic paint coats!

And here they are, the first few layers of paint :)

IMG_6271.jpg IMG_6237.jpg

Nice man! Can't wait to see it finished. Mine is painted now. Did u use plasti-dip in the end?

Nope, went with about 5 layers of Modge Podge in the end. Except for the blue parts, which I did use PlastiDip on. I don't quite see a difference once painted except for the spots where my PlastiDip bubbled but I hope to mask that with some weathering. Since this piece won't bend a whole a lot I think Modge Podge will be enough. On an armor piece that bends a lot it will probably not be the best option.

Nope, went with about 5 layers of Modge Podge in the end. Except for the blue parts, which I did use PlastiDip on. I don't quite see a difference once painted except for the spots where my PlastiDip bubbled but I hope to mask that with some weathering. Since this piece won't bend a whole a lot I think Modge Podge will be enough. On an armor piece that bends a lot it will probably not be the best option.

Yeah i heard that mod podge is only good for static props and not for bending. Good luck on the weathering! Its looking good so far :).

Are you planning on doing any events this year with the rifle?

Yeah i heard that mod podge is only good for static props and not for bending. Good luck on the weathering! Its looking good so far :).

Are you planning on doing any events this year with the rifle?

Quite frankly, I might not be the average cosplayer on here :) I hadn't planned on taking it anywhere. Originally I wanted to make it as a piece for my office room to go with the other nerd paraphernalia that's in there so creating a mask or jacket wasn't really part of my planning. A jacket I would have to straight buy elsewhere because that particular skillset eludes me. The mask I could probably foamsmith at some point but wasn't planning to.

Also I wouldn't even know of any events near me to take this to, and taking only the gun would probably look stupid :D

Just a small update, been stuck in masking hell for a bit :) Painting the white parts now and also working out the decals in Photoshop.

file-1.jpeg

The Photoshop decals so far are these that go mostly near the top of the gun. I will most likely print these out, cut them with the X-Acto knife and use them as a stencil to paint these on. Use them for your own projects if you want. I also made one of the ammo counter pattern. Not sure yet how I'm going to slap that on there :)

soldierpattern.jpg soldier2.jpg

Last edited:

While I'm choosing colours for the main body of the gun I started with the ammo counter on the sights. What I ended up doing was printing the one above and cutting it out so I had a stencil. I then wrapped a piece of clear plastic in masking tape and drew on the pattern from the stencil. Slowly cutting it out was up next and since it was all quite small I ended up losing a few bullets in the process :) I then painted everything black so all that was left was to remove the masking tape to reveal the pattern beneath it. I put tissue paper behind it to diffuse the LED and put another piece of plastic on top of that so the tissue paper would be protected. I'd call the end result good enough. I'll probably seal the edges when glueing it in place and painting over them so the only light coming through goes through the actual pattern.

I also started weathering on the blue parts that go on the sides (you can see them lying in the background of the last picture). They're a bit more weathered than any of the reference material shows, but since this is pretty much my first ever build not all the lines and cuts are super clean. A bit more grime helps mask that off a bit :)

IMG_6295.jpgIMG_6296.jpgIMG_6300.jpg

That ammo counter looks great man! I should of gotten brighter leds for mine :(. And don't worry I think good weathering adds character :D. Makes the prop look less like a toy.

Nice update!

-Hopli-

That ammo counter looks great man! I should of gotten brighter leds for mine :(. And don't worry I think good weathering adds character :D. Makes the prop look less like a toy.

Nice update!

-Hopli-

Thanks! This is just one basic blue LED. Distance (its mounted about 5cm away from the pattern) and the tissue paper help a lot with spreading the light.

Re: Soldier 76 Gun - WIP (Picture Heavy) UPDATE: 22/05 - Started weathering

As I mentioned in my last post, I started weathering on the blue parts that go on the side. Took some pictures outside this morning because daylight does it more justice :) These snap on using magnets. I'm expecting to receive the colors I ordered for the main body today so if all goes well I'll have a new update soon.

IMG_6305.jpgIMG_6304.jpgIMG_6301.jpg

It's been a few weeks but between all the daily life stuff I found some time to paint and weather almost the entire gun! This is how it ended up. As I said before the weathering is a bit on the heavier side because Soldier 76 has been very lazy with cleaning his gun lately. What's left to do? In no particular order:

- Lights
- Installing the ammo counter pattern
- Adding some decals left and right (TMFR etc)
- The red tubing on the left hand side (still looking where to source that from)

So, on to the pictures! First off some shots of the entire thing so far.

IMG_6337.jpgIMG_6341.jpg

And here's the rocket launcher up close and personal...

IMG_6338.jpg

And another look at the entire front assembled:

IMG_6339.jpg

In the most recent update to Overwatch (Anniversary Event) they seem to have changed something in the shaders for the gun (perhaps its the plain white background throughout the menus instead of the maps in the background). Its pretty clear now that the gun should probably have a different color scheme but I like it as it is right now. I also added the black striping across the top to the front (it continues in the bottom near the rocket launcher). Also added the 3 directional chevrons on the reloading part.

IMG_6340.jpg

And finally a picture of some separate bits that I will probably attach as soon as I have all the lighting in place. A lot of cable management needs to happen in the area where these go so they won't get in my way if I glue these on last :)

IMG_6342.jpg

With 4 tasks left to do I'm happy to say that I finished 3 of them today, yay!

✓ Lights
✓ Installing the ammo counter pattern
✓ Adding some decals left and right (TMFR etc)
- The red tubing on the left hand side (still looking where to source that from)

And here are some pictures where the wiring is in full swing and one of the decals + additional parts installed :)

IMG_6350.jpg IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Almoust done Devnl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking really good.

Edit: For the tubing, red gas tube for bbq's worked perfectly for me. Maybe you can try that aswell?

-Hopli-

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back