So why doesn't Woody carry a gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, they added a previously cut scene, some other wides, as well as adding more facial articulation in some closeups... it all looks like ass (the animators really "phoned in" those performances).

Not during the timeline that Woody apparently comes from. He's not a modern toy.
Mailaway promo premiums date back to 30s radio shows. TV had them, too.
Granted, I don't think they were ever accessories for an existing toy.

Makes sense to me that a 50s children's puppet show wouldn't have guns. But why, then, does he have a holster at all?

I was researching this online and stumbled across a forum asking the same thing
Here is one guy's response;
"It's - initially at least, although a significant change will occur later in the narrative - a castration metaphor: by being deprived of his gun, Woody has obviously been symbolically unmanned, and the fact that he only has an empty holster {a repository for a phallic weapon} only reinforces the filmmakers' point that Woody {note the clever counterpoint between his name and his evident lack of conventionally heterosexual masculine prowess: he evidently feels obliged to compensate at least nominally} clearly feels overshadowed by Andy, his erstwhile "father", in a classical Oedipal rivalry for Little Bo Peep.

Witness his inability to transact any kind of mature relationship with Peep; when the more obviously "manly" Buzz arrives, apparently secure in his masculine heterosexuality with his constantly brandished laser, Peep transfers her allegiances to him {"Looks like I've found my moving {underlining mine} partner."}. Woody's subsequent conflict with Buzz, culminating in Buzz's symbolic death with his fall from the window, is a clear transference of this Oedipal rivalry: through enacting this Woody apparently regains his sexuality, as is underlined when he places the {almost too obviously} phallic match in his holster when he rescues Buzz from the rocket.

Yet this point in the narrative marks a curious shift, as both protagonists' sexual allegiances begin to markedly alter: Buzz's laser may not work, to his dismay {a reference to his previously assumed heterosexuality}, but his rocket, ignited by Woody's match, indicates a powerful switch in both their sexualities. Witness their flying scene {a clear sexual metaphor} together, in which Buzz both literally and figuratively grasps Woody by the waist and takes him from behind. This marks the conclusion of the narrative, with all illusory Oedipal conflicts resolved and both comfortable in their new-found homosexuality, as is evidenced in the closing scenes where they are depicted lounging happily on the bed together, secure in their sexual identities."

someone else responds with;
"The original movie website for TS1 said that Woody's gun was inside Hamm the piggy bank. How it got there, I have no idea."

To which the first guys states;
"Given that Hamm is referred to as "slotted pig' by the second Buzz in TS2, Woody's apparent loss of his gun, or symbolic phallus, to the pig is clearly an extension of the castration metaphor referenced earlier: ostensibly an Oedipal reflection of Woody's fear of transacting a sexual relationship for fear of incurring the wrath of his symbolic father, but on a deeper level as a foreshadowing of his emergent conflict between a "conventional" heterosexual identity and his later clearly established homosexuality.

Assuming that his "gun" vanished down the pig's "slot" - a clear vaginal metaphor - the trope being referenced is that of the vagina dentata, the toothed {or devouring/castrating} vagina, underscoring Woody's reluctance or inability to form a mature sexual relationship with a woman: this is further supported by the pig's traditionally unclean or taboo nature, strongly marked in several cultures. Those with a penchant for wordplay may care to reflect upon the similarities between the words "slot" and "****" - in either of his incarnations, Woody's sexual partner Buzz also obviously regards Hamm as being both female and unclean.

Woody has thus been "unmanned" by a female orifice he regards as being both dangerous and repugnant, an establishment early in the narrative of his underlying sexual proclivity: as noted above, he can only be "remanned" by the acquisition of the phallic match - significantly gifted to him by another male in the form of Sid, and used to cement his relationship with Buzz by providing the means of their flight together.

Significantly, however, Woody's match is extinguished at the moment of their "consumnation", as his initial distaste for this form of relationship attempts to figuratively reassert itself: it is left to the focussing powers of Buzz's helmet {an obvious reference to the glans penis, as well as a subliminal pun on "giving head"} to provide the final impetus, or "thrust".

The answer to the question posed earlier in the narrative, "What to do if part of you is swallowed.", is thus established to be, in Woody's case, "relax and enjoy it."

:eek:eek:eek

Yes, a new Woody would have had a gun. It got lost. The Cleaner doesn't have the needed missing gun, he is just a repairman and touch up guy. If Woody's hat had been missing the Cleaner wouldn't have it either. I imagine if pressed/paid he could haunt ebay and snap one up. Okay?! I wouldn't read too much into it, as is stated above, other characters had guns in the movie.

Now what Spielberg did to E.T., that was just PC nonsense. I didn't care for E.T. anyway so I'll never have to fret over it.

Doug

BEST answer!

Every cowboy toy had a gun when I was a kid..it was part of it but now where in the SNOWFLAKE gen. We also played hooky smoked cigarretts and got booze whenever we could..we used pellet guns,small shotguns,jumped in to lakes, made bombs from fireworks,played conkers,lit fires,camped out,had fights,made dens,had clod fights,and lived semi-feral .. it was and is normal but covered in a thin layer of crap to keep the next gen week and compliant..kids now have allergies , I'd rather have it my way,oh, and my Dad thought my gen was soft ! ! Oh, by the way I didn't grow up in to a smoker or drinker but it didn't harm me because of my natural kid indestructible system ! !

Last edited:
Every cowboy toy had a gun when I was a kid..it was part of it but now where in the SNOWFLAKE gen. We also played hooky smoked cigarretts and got booze whenever we could..we used pellet guns,small shotguns,jumped in to lakes, made bombs from fireworks,played conkers,lit fires,camped out,had fights,made dens,had clod fights,and lived semi-feral .. it was and is normal but covered in a thin layer of crap to keep the next gen week and compliant..kids now have ADHD, and allergies , I'd rather have it my way,oh, and my Dad thought my gen was soft ! ! Oh, by the way I didn't grow up in to a smoker or drinker but it didn't harm me because of my natural kid indestructible system ! !
PebMbXh.jpg

I did all that stuff back then and there where girls tougher than I was ..kids where different accross the board ! ! I just hope they rebel against this ism world.. I even had a soft toy called sheriff onion a vegetable guy,even he had a gun in his holster..

..I joined this site to enjoy people who like to make and love what they do..I enjoy western and gun stuff and have taken part in old threads as I am not good with computers and am still finding my way around..

Last edited:
"Necroposting" is when someone comments in a thread that hasn't been active for years - generally the discussion has run its course and everyone has moved on. So when the first page is suddenly inundated with threads where the discussion trailed off many years ago, it's frustrating for users - particularly when nothing of real value is added to the thread.

I'm NOT saying that *all* of your comments have no value - you obviously know your stuff and you are clearly passionate about your interests. That's welcomed and encouraged here.

But necroposting is generally frowned upon behavior in every forum that I've ever been a part of. You're new here so you didn't realize - how could you know, right? Every post in a thread is time stamped and dated, so that's something to be aware of and something to check. If the last comment in a thread was 8 or 10 years ago you might want to ask yourself if it's really necessary to bump that ancient thread to the front page.

Just sayin'.

Thanks for the advice..it's really nice to be among creative people..I'm so old fashion I'm typing with my little finger, I'm too clumsy to do it right..

Just as an interesting tidbit with this topic... Woody's weapon in Kingdom Hearts 3 is "Cowboy's Pride," and he just punches things. With his empty holster on his waist.

Since it's here, didn't the Army guys have guns permanently affixed to their hands? Sooooo the no guns Disney theory doesn't hold :eek:o_O. I could be wrong, I just didn't feel like reading the entire thread :p

Hi, so sorry for bringing back an old thread, I’m new to this forum stuff, but there is a canon reason as to why Woody doesn’t have a gun.

On the back of the box for the 1995 woody doll, it is stated that Woody DID have a gun, but he misplaced it “years ago.” I’m pretty sure by Woody they mean the Woody in Woody’s Roundup.
44BDEEC6-F995-40A1-8243-5CD298DFCBFE.jpeg

Again, sorry if this counts as necroposting, I just felt as if it was worth saying because the real answer hadn’t been said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back