So who owns the “Battle of the 80s Cars?”

Do you mean who made the originals for filming? If memory serves its was Michael scheffe (also in charge of the contruction of BTTF's Delorean) who originally desgined K.I.T.T. and George Barris designed the later convertible and SPM versions. The A-Team van was supplied by GMC as can be seen in the closing credits and I would assume it was a similar deal for Chips but as with all tv vehicles, dont look too close at the stunt vehicles as K.I.T.T. has been models, had a shell over the top of the car and even and complete fibreglass version with a space frame chassis used for some turbo boost shots. Equally the The A-Team van has been a Ford Econoline on Jumps and the Chips lovely Kawasaki's have become scramble bikes for jumps and stunts.

No, not the originals but the ones used in the TV special. They of course were acting like all three were original units but I can't see them using them as they were, actually racing them, so assume they are replicas and since so many guys here have made them thought someone might fess up! :p

Do you mean who made the originals for filming? If memory serves its was Michael scheffe (also in charge of the contruction of BTTF's Delorean) who originally desgined K.I.T.T. and George Barris designed the later convertible and SPM versions. The A-Team van was supplied by GMC as can be seen in the closing credits and I would assume it was a similar deal for Chips but as with all tv vehicles, dont look too close at the stunt vehicles as K.I.T.T. has been models, had a shell over the top of the car and even and complete fibreglass version with a space frame chassis used for some turbo boost shots. Equally the The A-Team van has been a Ford Econoline on Jumps and the Chips lovely Kawasaki's have become scramble bikes for jumps and stunts.

I watched this also, I remember right before the final race there was a "producer" i think, telling the hoff "be careful this is the original K.I.T.T. and there is only one"... :rolleyes: and I also noticed they "sped'' up "some/alot" of the race footage ;) and I think they reused a few corner lap shot's. I know there was a full accurate replica build of the chip's bike recently on an episode of "counting car's" and estrada rode it out for the final "showing". who know's how much of this show was just "hype" etc. Eric and Dirk kept saying" well I called in a ton of favor's and have been searching..." :unsure: but it was a fun show to watch. I got a feeling they might do more episodes, kinda like "jay leno's garage"....

The group who's cars were used for the show is located at Star Car Central Famous Movie and TV Cars and as MattgomeryBurns pointed out it is the brainchild of Nate Truman. I help coordinate the NW chapter in the Seattle Tacoma which is also the International Move & TV Vehicle Owners Association (IMTVOA). We home base at a Premier Movie & TV Replica builder in the Puyallup area, and are always looking to share to joy of Movie Replica Vehicles and other props, so feel free to let me know if you have a "Star Car" or are just in the area and want to say "hi". Also, no they are not all screen used cars, I thought they were all replicas, but it is possible that the KITT was screen used, there are a couple left from the original series, some from other appearances like the one in "Kickin' it Old School" and even one from the 2008 pilot movie here....

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back