so which costume will be the most overdone at comicon

Discussion in 'Conventions and Prop Parties' started by sp1derman, May 13, 2012.

1. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

i may never have been. but i am going this year to the London one in July but from what i have seen there seems to always be spiderman, superman and batman but this year who will we see more of The Avengers? Batman? or Spider-Man?

three big superhero films in one year or will the films make no difference and ill be the only spiderman this year (doubtful) lol

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. Contec

Contec Master Member

superman.....bah...what do i know..

3. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

Black widow
    That's my guess, and yes mrs.slave1pilot is building one too.

4. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

im seeing lots of black widows black cats spidermans batmans and iron mans

5. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

Katniss.

6. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I saw 3 Katniss' at ECCC this year, but they were each of her in different points in the movie so it was kind of cool. We had Tribute Selection Katniss in her blue dress, Hunting Katniss, and Tribute Katniss.

[​IMG]

7. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

God, the one on the left is incredible!

8. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dang, you guys beat me to it! I'll just say "ya, me three"

9. infymys

infymys Sr Member

Harley Quinn. I guarantee it.

10. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ANYTHING from the Avengers.

11. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

The ones that's going to be overdone this year are as followed (the numbers are going to be for one convention, but times it by the multiple numbers of conventions each year and you get the idea):
    The Avengers - Seriously, you're not going to be able to go three feet without spotting one, two, three or all of them.
    The Dark Knight Rises - The number of Jokers from the previous film are going to be down to at least three or four, while there'll be a sudden boom in Catwomen (both hot and ugly, thin and heavyset alike, in all variations) and possible three to six Banes being seen at one convention.
    TRON - There is a good possibility of a second wind coming for TRON, especially with TRON: Uprising coming out and the third film still in the preproduction stage.
    The Raid: Redemption - Would not be surprised if there was at least three of the people dressed as characters from that film.

The Shortlisted (Ones that will have a minimal number, possibly even 1):
    Attack the Block - Due to the limited release in the U.S., but probably would have some of a fanbase at other conventions outside of the U.S.)
    Eureka - Especially since its starting it's final season. Fans of the show may dressed up as their favorite characters in hopes of trying to spread word on the show in an attempt to boost the ratings.
    Last of Us - A video game about an apocalypse with at least one character who looks and sounds like Ellen Page. Yeah. Someone's going to do it.

Of course, I could be wrong.

12. SqueekinOrka

SqueekinOrka Well-Known Member

Probably Iron Man and the Avengers. Maybe a few halo and star wars suits ?

13. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Star wars troopers, iron man, and at least a dozen of fat girls with tight suits thinkig they look like the black widow

14. venator

venator Member

I really don't think ironman would be that common due to the difficulty to build. More likely fat guys in spandex spiderman costumes

15. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And for all of those people who worked hard on their costumes and put forth their best efforts, they'll have you guys, sitting at home on the internet commenting on them.

16. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Stormtroopers, it's like an organized militia or something.
    Cobra Troopers.
    Pedobear. He is always lurking.
    Spiderman.
    Of course if most people where like me, they would build one outfit and just stick with that, altering and improving it slightly every year.

17. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I'm gonna guess you'll see a bunch of Iron Man (Iron Men?) Mk. 19384234441.4-and-a-half.

I base this off the following facts:

1. Armor outfits can work for almost any body type, and therefore look good almost all the time (if done properly).

2. The various Iron Man properties (Avengers included) have been extremely popular and around for a bit now. That means plenty of folks have had time to build their outfits.

3. It's an elaborate outfit that is likely to generate praise if done properly.

4. The Avengers is INSANELY POPULAR.

So, yeah, that'd be my bet. Lots of Iron Men.

18. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

:lol :lol :lol :lol

19. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Finn from Adventure Time.

20. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

+1 .

-James

21. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Unfortunately in London, manga is always heavily overdone!

22. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

what is the london film and comicon in july like? should i get my tickets soon or will it be okay to wait till June?
    is there anywhere to store my stuff so i can go as peter parker put my bag away and have my spiderman costume on?
    thanks

23. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

You can never have too many Stormtroopers!!!

24. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LFCC is quite good and will be very busy!
    Not sure about Olympia, but there may be lockers where you can store your stuff

If I were you, I'd get 'early bird' tickets.
    Don't leave it too late!

25. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

cheers im buying them next month and defiantly getting early bird its on my 19th so gonna get money to spend in there and enter cosplay competition :)

26. El Duderino

El Duderino Sr Member

All of them.

27. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Anyone who makes the effort get my respect. Certainly some folks make some poor choices.

At least they are not spending time on internet cutting other people down.

There are 125,000 people at Comic-Con for heaven's sake, there is going to be some duplication.

28. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

i wasn't trying to say its bad i applaud anyone with the confidence to go out in costume i can't exactly say something about duplication me and my girl are going as spiderman and black cat. i probably frazed the title wrong i just wanted people opinions on how much the 3 big films will impact people choices this year.

29. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

Even the crappiest iron man is still fun. Bring em on!

30. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Huh, I think this is the first thread where a post from Matt Munson gets ignored.

I'm scared.

But seriously, yeah, this is some catty smack talk coming from dudes on a PROP board. Perspective....

31. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Bows. Bows are big this year.

And fat guys as Batman.

32. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe there will be more Thors than Iron Mans.

[​IMG]

Gotta keep the thread positive.

33. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

It would be good to see, at a Con, something that has been done well repeatedly. It let's newb's like me know that this stuff can be done.

And seeing something totally unique is cool as well, it let's me know how so much is available for me to draw inspiration from.

34. CaptainWales

CaptainWales Well-Known Member

Having been to the London MCM Expo this weekend I feel I should bump this thread with info on what was most overdone there, so you can see if SDCC follows a similar theme.

Avengers was very popular, however there were way more female versions of male characters than girls choosing to do Black Widow; female versions of Thor and Loki mainly. Although when it came to female costumes in general the Arkham City version of Harley Quinn was certainly very popular too. In fact it might have been the most common character for a girl.
    In terms of men there were quite a few Bane costumes, I saw at least 4 Dark Knight Rises versions and several other variations of Bane. There was actually a general increase in Batman villain costumes in general. The villains greatly outnumbered the heroes (which included me who went as the Nolanverse Scarecrow).
    Adventure Time costumes were hugely popular this time too, partially because of the popularity of the show and partially because of how easy it is to make costumes for some of the characters.
    The other big series were Homestuck (a webcomic I think, don't know a lot about it.) and My Little Pony due to the whole Brony phenomenon.

On an unrelated note if any RPFers were there last weekend I've got a load of pictures I took around Expo of the cosplayers if anyone wants me to share.

35. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Ill take you up on that offer. PICS FOR THE WIN YO!! (Jesse pinkman voice)

36. infymys

infymys Sr Member

Do I win a prize? :lol

37. CaptainWales

I'll pop the link here and anyone can feel free to take a look. If you know anyone feel free to tag them.
    Kawaii Desu Adventures at MCM May 2012 | Facebook

38. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

sidh i could of gone to this one but had to revise final exam tommo are you going to the one over july in london? the pics look awsome

39. CaptainWales

The London Film and Conic Con? Wish I could go but chances are I'll be working over the summer but I'll be at the next MCM in October.

40. Demoriel

Demoriel Member

Anything Avengers will be a popular costume i would think.

41. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

:behave
    Excellent point, I felt that hammer all the way in Toronto.

42. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

I think the "Fanboy/Fangirl" costume will be pretty overdone.

43. Jaina

Jaina Member

Lady Loki.

It makes me super upset that I've had the materials in my closet now for a year and haven't put it together yet because now it'll be EVERYWHERE. That being said, I'm going to look on the positive side and think about how many Loki's army photographs can be taken because of this. :p

44. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

At Wizard World here in Philly, I saw a few Black Widows (fewer than expected). One Iron Man (which looked * good from afar). Several Lokis, including a female Loki. Several Thors. One Jubilee (with whom I hung out). Two Umbrella Security tactical guards. One little Ninjago character (very cute). A few Wonder Womans. The 501st, a bounty hunter/mando club (what con would be complete without these guys?). One Capt. Mal (female -- excellent costume). One weak Indy, but a kickass Marion in the white dress. Several generic Jedi/Sith (they put on a duel for a bit which was entertaining but dragged on a bit, so I wandered off). Some Redshirts. One grey TNG uniform wearer. One REALLY good Ms. Marvel (and yes, she pulled it off spectacularly well). Saw one Red Robin, one Robin from Arkham City, a terrific Superman, one or two Caps, and a Batman. There was also one guy who I sort of recognize, but don't know the name of the character (and it's driving me NUTS not being able to remember this...) who was green skinned, had a yellow necklace of these big balls, had heads (actually masks) on his belt, and had ripped shoes like the Hulk, but whom I couldn't recognize. I want to say he's called headhunter or head...something... Anyone got a name?

All in all, the most populous costumes were Star Wars costumes, considering the high concentration of Jedi/Sith, the 501st from the Carida garrison, and the Mandos. Go figure.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  45. nachtinis

nachtinis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Citing overdone costumes at comic-con is like pointing out hipsters at the goodwill store.
    You know, and they know what they are there for, and you both know that you are still in a secondhand-secondhand store.

46. DrewSmith007

DrewSmith007 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think that's a fourth Katniss in the background...

47. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Hi highly doubt it.

48. DJefferson

DJefferson New Member

I went to one here in Washington a few months ago and saw alot of Captain America and Deadpool

49. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here in Toronto you see a LOT of 11th Doctors.

Not complaining though. Power to them. :)

50. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking at photos from San Diego Comic Con, Dragoncon, Celebration 6, and various smaller cons this year I've decided the most popular costumes were:

Girls dressing up as any male character in a 'girl' version, and guys dressing up in a female costume with no modifications (princess leia, Disney princesses, slave leia, etc..).