So...wha'teh 'ell is up with 3D???

Krull

Sr Member
Damn version is taking over my local theater! :angry I was gonna see Captain America but-they've only got it on at 4:25 and 10:30 now,so I was gonna flip for Conan buuuuuuuut~it's only on at 1:45 in 2D,all the rest is 3D! :confused and Fright Night is only on in 2D at 2:05......and there's a whole slew of 3D movies over their 2D counterparts.

Damn theater sucks here

So skip it and wait for DVD. Honestly, these days, I think the DVD "home theater" experience is better than the "big theater" experience. I can pause when I want, talk when I want. NOT listen to OTHER people talking when I DON'T want to hear them, and the floors aren't sticky.

Yeah, it's too bad because I enjoy the theater, but if I can't see it in 2D, I usually won't go (my kids like the gimmick, so I'll go with them). I've had to look at several theaters in different towns before to find what I wanted in 2D (all about equal driving distance...I'm not a freak or anything!)

I have been choosing 2D over 3D lately after failing to see any point to the recent run of 3D movies. I have also been post-poning seeing a lot of films because I also enjoy my home theater. It really is up to cinema standards these days.

The only two movies I've seen in 3d (since Jaws 3d came out) are Thor and Cap. While I'm sure the 3d is super cool on stuff like Avatar and Tron, I just really didn't see the point of it on either of these two movies. More distracting than "adding to the experience" if you ask me.

Seems like they are alternating 3D/2D versions week by week here. I still haven't seen Transformers, which I'm hoping to do tomorrow, but last week it was 3D, this week it's 2D. I got to catch it tomorrow because it looks like it's hitting the 2nd run theater next week.

Finally saw Harry Potter yesterday, and in IMAX 3D! The IMAX 3D is a helluva lot better than the 3D on smaller screens. I noticed the difference when I saw Tron Legacy in 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D. Wish they could upgrade all theaters to IMAX for these effects-heavy movies.

So skip it and wait for DVD. Honestly, these days, I think the DVD "home theater" experience is better than the "big theater" experience. I can pause when I want, talk when I want. NOT listen to OTHER people talking when I DON'T want to hear them, and the floors aren't sticky.

Nonsense.

Sure nobody likes the little annoying crap that goes on at theaters.

But there is NOTHING like seeing a movie with a good audience on a big damn screen. NO home theater short of that size compares.

And 3D is still just a gimmick, rarely adds to a movie.

But there is NOTHING like seeing a movie with a good audience on a big damn screen.

Fair point (emphasis added). I rarely get that with big blockbuster style films, and find that only a film with really stunning visuals (not necessarily f/x, could just be really fantastic costumes or lighting) is otherwise worth seeing on the big screen. The rest of the time, I'm happier away from the crowds. BUT with the RIGHT crowd, it's dynamite.

Nonsense.

Sure nobody likes the little annoying crap that goes on at theaters.

But there is NOTHING like seeing a movie with a good audience on a big damn screen. NO home theater short of that size compares.

And 3D is still just a gimmick, rarely adds to a movie.

Until I can pause the movie to go to the bathroom then home is superior. :lol

Well I tried it,it actually works okay,not like the,um to be polite,crap they called "3D" in the 80's so I'll give it a pass.

I do agree it's a gimmick but it's not so onerous a thing to make me not see it,I still won't go out of my way to see something in 3D.

I've found modern 3D gives me a headache so I try to avoid it wherever possible. I saw Cap and Thor in both versions. It didn't add to the experience. I love going to the theatre, but they are making it more difficult by screening 2D at silly times during the day. I found a guy on the web that sells 2D glasses! It converts the image back again. Gonna give them a try next time I go.

If the Director didn't stop the movie for you to go to the bathroom then you shouldn't either.

You can wreck the whole flow and timing (if the movie has any of course) by doing that.

Therefore you don't give the movie a fair shake.

If this is how you guys really watch and the judge movies, it's no wonder you hate so many of them.

What are you twelve? You can't hold it for 2 hours?

.....And 3D is still just a gimmick, rarely adds to a movie.

I so totally agree with this. I often find myself taking off the specs for a few seconds here and there because I want to see something in its proper colours etc.

If the Director didn't stop the movie for you to go to the bathroom then you shouldn't either.

You can wreck the whole flow and timing (if the movie has any of course) by doing that.

Therefore you don't give the movie a fair shake.

If you are referring to no intermission in 3D movies (as they do here :rolleyes) then I don't agree with this one.

No intermission is simply so folks won't walk off with the specs and they can control the entrance & 'spec count' better :lol

They really make too many movies 3d. Some movies are just not suited for it. Sometimes it really detracts from the interest and experience that you would get by just watching it in 2d.

I am ok with movies that are filmed in 3D transformers was awesome. I will probably catch an avater rerelease when they do that. But Cap which was post processed had nowhere near the wow factor.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back