So what was that part Mal had anyway.

Obi-wan Coyote

There have been some pics of it in different sences. The best was on tonights sci fi run of Firefly. It was less than 5 mins into the show when Mal was laying on the deck bleeding. Does anyone have some screen shots of it? Does anyone know what they used? All I know was it was called a compresion coil.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Obi wan Coyote

Originally posted by Obi-wan Coyote@Mar 10 2006, 09:18 PM
There have been some pics of it in different sences. The best was on tonights sci fi run of Firefly. It was less than 5 mins into the show when Mal was laying on the deck bleeding. Does anyone have some screen shots of it? Does anyone know what they used? All I know was it was called a compresion coil.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Obi wan Coyote
[snapback]1203341[/snapback]​
It was called a "Catalyzer". These are the best I could do on short notice:

I changed the lighting & contrast a bit to try & get a better look...

Someone mailed me this:

Hello Kris,

I've been a guest on the RPF since last November and I hope to join this April. I saw the thread on the Catalyzer prop on RPF started by Obi-wan Coyote and yours was the only email I could find. I recognized the black part on the prop and wanted to tell someone. It's a plastic CPC type connector made by Tyco/Amp with the description "free-hanging reverse-sex receptacle". If you look here:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/HK051/0223-0224.pdf the connector is shown as the middle picture on Series 5, and the clamp part is shown on the top right of the following page. These parts are still available but do come in different sizes (diameters). The other parts of the prop need to be identified first so the connector size can be scaled accordingly.

Personally, I think the main portion of the thing looks like a small automotive turbo-charger, and it has a simple copper end-cap plumbing fitting stuck to it.

Feel free to post any of this information if you'd like. If I can find a better picture of the connector/clamp, I'll forward it to you.

Mike

Definitely looks automotive in design. Based on the hose attachment points and what looks to be an electrical connector, my guesses are either part of the air intake system or the heater/blower assembly.

-Fred

I'm pretty sure it's a drain pump from either a washing machine, dishwasher, or air conditioning unit; Just haven't found exactly what, and google images help about as much as an axe to the head...

Well, I have doing some research. And not have much luck. I do think it's a blower of some type. I been checking the washing machine and dish washer pumps, and found they are mainly plastic. The one in Out of gas is clearly cast alum. Now I checked some designs on comercial dishwashers and repaired a few in my pass. It's not the correct design, they are much larger. So the search goes on.
Obi wan Coyote

Originally posted by Obi-wan Coyote@Mar 12 2006, 11:48 AM
The one in Out of gas is clearly cast alum.
[snapback]1204121[/snapback]​
While you very well may be right, ^that's^ a pretty big presumption imo. If there's anything my time here has taught me, it's that ANY material can be painted to look like ANY thing else... ;)

Originally posted by Nexus6+Mar 12 2006, 05:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nexus6 @ Mar 12 2006, 05:39 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Obi-wan Coyote
@Mar 12 2006, 11:48 AM
The one in Out of gas is clearly cast alum.
[snapback]1204121[/snapback]​
While you very well may be right, ^that's^ a pretty big presumption imo. If there's anything my time here has taught me, it's that ANY material can be painted to look like ANY thing else... ;)
[snapback]1204154[/snapback]​
[/b]
May be so, but that thing looked like it had some weight to it.

Bump from the grave!

I had a gearhead friend of mine look at clips and stills of the Compression Coil Catalyser last night.

He was calling it a ducted fan or some sort of impeller motor.
If you look at the drum body portion of it, you can see a waterproof seal where it's bolted together.

I'd love to know what this is dingus is.

Bump from the grave!

I had a gearhead friend of mine look at clips and stills of the Compression Coil Catalyser last night.

He was calling it a ducted fan or some sort of impeller motor.
If you look at the drum body portion of it, you can see a waterproof seal where it's bolted together.

I'd love to know what this is dingus is.

Man, I'd love to know what it is too! Thanks fro dredging this one back up. I must have misesd it's first two reanimations.

Sorry to say I have no new input to offer, but I'll start looking.

I spent countless hours looking for that thing.

If anyone could find it, I would be forever grateful! :D

Its a part that was just kicked off the engine that the prop guys had no idea what it was in real life. They had a box of them and that was the first thing that came to mind as they are all over the engine. Nathan has it so at the next con or appearance he does, ask him about it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Obi wan Coyote

Catalyzer1.jpg

Catalyzer2.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back