So, what exactly are "acting chops"?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Dreddful

We've been hearing it used for years, though it seems to be almost daily now we hear an actor has the "acting chops" to pull off a role. What exactly are these chops? Just curious....

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

mistymills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A mix of talent, screen presence, looks and experience.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

firesprite

Master Member
Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang

CHOPS noun: 1) [18th century and still in use] The jaws, the mouth, the lips. 2) [1940s and still in use] (originally U.S. Black) Ability, skill, competence. [from jazz musicians figurative reference to the use of one’s mouth and lips in playing a wind instrument]

Based on this, it probably just got picked up and morphed to refer to talent in general.

Monkey67

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I didn't know that.

Also someone already had that joke / picture. Didn't show up for me the 1st time. My bad