So I was at the local gun store yesterday...

chizbot

And I found this. Pretty cheap. I know it's not exactly correct, but I thought I'd give it a go. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427634808.897254.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427634822.504334.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure. They also had a bin of old scopes, some were as low as $5. I know it's not the ESB version, so I was thinking of going EE-1138. ( meaning generic bounty hunter rifle)

Hey I know that gun! I used to inspect and service them. What are you going to do with it exactly????

I see "No 4 MKI *" on it... Is this a webley?

*edit. Found it. Webley Scott aircraft flare gun WWIII.

Also found a picture of the barrel extension. Time start talking to machinists. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427643089.765555.jpg

*edit: WWII, not World War III. (Not yet, anyway)

Last edited:
I've seen one of those for sale recently and nearly
picked it up. It's a good find and, well, close enough for me! Unfortunately I overslept and missed my chance.

I see "No 4 MKI *" on it... Is this a webley?

*edit. Found it. Webley Scott aircraft flare gun WWIII.

Also found a picture of the barrel extension. Time start talking to machinists. View attachment 457537
Hi sorry was away for the computer most of the day. Yep you got it correct. It is still used by the RAF today in ATC towers and on larger aircraft for signals. You can see the thick threads which meet up with the aircraft mounts. With and adaptor it is also used with bird scaring carts. This however is very dangerous as it makes it possible to fire standard 12 bore carts with the same weapon. Imagine the worlds shortest saw off shotgun messy for the user! It was the stock weapon used to make the riot control guns. Great find. Best of luck if you do decide to strip it out there is one F++K off big spring in there so beware. Cheers.

I found this picture of it without the grips. I know a welder & steel worker. I may make the buttstock & have him weld it to the frame. Then I'll make the rest out of a nice wood. Get a pipe to fit and cut out the locking mechanism. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427658056.037895.jpg

Thanks for the reply & info!

I noticed the steel under the grips is sandwiched with a layer of Bakelite. So no welding

I saw that long barrel for this on gunbroker a few weeks ago. You might check there for a 100% solid connection of the barrel to the frame. Don't search for "Webley", just search for "flare gun". I have found on these flare guns of this age, a lot of times the sellers don't have all the info, or are just what appears to be lazy. Usually decent prices on the flare guns though.

I don't know if it's against the rules to mention that site by name or because it is a gun sight, so Mods, feel free to remove my post if necessary.

Hi sorry was away for the computer most of the day. Yep you got it correct. It is still used by the RAF today in ATC towers and on larger aircraft for signals. You can see the thick threads which meet up with the aircraft mounts. With and adaptor it is also used with bird scaring carts. This however is very dangerous as it makes it possible to fire standard 12 bore carts with the same weapon. Imagine the worlds shortest saw off shotgun messy for the user! It was the stock weapon used to make the riot control guns. Great find. Best of luck if you do decide to strip it out there is one F++K off big spring in there so beware. Cheers.

That spring is no joke. Funny thing is, they sell barrel adaptors to Fire everything from .22 caliber to 12 ga for these.

That spring is no joke. Funny thing is, they sell barrel adaptors to Fire everything from .22 caliber to 12 ga for these.

Al the tech specs said under no circumstances are you to fire shot from them. The bird scaring carts were 12ga fired via the adaptor as of course the flare is designed to function in the air where as a 12ga shot round is designed to function right at the cap. For the sake of all that is precious do not fire shot from it unless you can do it mythbusters style in which case I would love to see the pics!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428671793.184211.jpg

Bought a hunk of aluminum for the barrel. I will "ghetto-lathe" this to taper. The inside diameter is only 1mm too small, so fitting shouldn't be a problem.

Mount a drill in the vise, run a length of threaded rod through the pipe and secure it with nuts & washers. In this case, I will be using tapered rubber drain stoppers at each end. I built a simple right-angle stand to hold up the end that isn't chucked in the drill. I'll take pics later.

I tried this once, how did you match the height of the drill and the other end? That's what stopped me before.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back