Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 115***

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by tubachris85x, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Lt Washburn

Lt Washburn Active Member

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

Great pics! Can you transcribe the text on the back? I can read some of it, but not all.

2. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

I'm pretty sure these were used on Giger's ALIEN suit as well. Pic of a toy because I couldn't find good online references:

alienhips.jpg

3. blewis17

blewis17 Sr Member

Makes sense... awesome find!

4. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...these are also found on the Alien environmental helmets ;)

BTW: I received an email from the turkish shop, stating that they received my order, but have to determine shipping charges...fingers crossed. ;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  5. portland182

portland182 Active Member

Wow! Whereabouts on the helmet?

Jim

6. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Upper-left temple area (wearer's left)

7. geordietrooper

geordietrooper Well-Known Member

alien.JPG

tubachris85x likes this.
  8. tubachris85x

Well, thought it was the other side lol

Looking at this now, though, it doesn't seem that they removed the backing of the thermostat before attaching it to the helmet, given the spacing

9. tubachris85x

Unfortunately the 3d scanning this weekend didn't work out well, but that was more due to technical difficulties, so going to see if someone else can get them 3d scanned

10. OdiWan72

Chris aka Field Marshall could do it and would surely be able to offer affordable metal discs for the prop-community :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    thd9791 likes this.
  11. tubachris85x

IDK his means or tools, but we're looking to do stamped metal pieces instead of machined metal like what all metal replicas have been for this piece. The stamped versions would be more accurate, and reflect the nuance details that I don't think could be reproduced via machining. To add, there's a very small detail on the face of the disc that I believe is a result of the stamping process that is not apparent in photos, at least from what I have seen in my research.

But the 3d file, once made, will be open source..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    thd9791 likes this.
  12. ataru72ita

ataru72ita Well-Known Member

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research***ON HAND!!!***

FYI SpA stands for "Società Per Azioni", which means that the Italian firm is quoted and registered in the Italian Stock Exchange.
    Regards,

this is the Bloomberg company profile:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/companies/4236877Z:IM-vebe-elettromeccanica-spa

says it was founded back in 1984, and sells precision measurement accessories.

Alberto

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Lt Washburn and thd9791 like this.
  13. Lt Washburn

Lt Washburn Active Member

I've seen that on Italian companies before, thanks for the info!

ataru72ita likes this.
  14. cinderbike

cinderbike Jr Member

Curious to see if the rest of those assemblies are found elsewhere in the films.

15. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Hi Guys,

Just a quickie.

Obviously the thermocouple disc is now an identified part but see the T shaped part on the AB section of the Snowtrooper is that a well known found part?

Just curious as I think I have some.

image2 (3).jpeg motm_chestcontolbox_01.jpg

16. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Slider for an audio mixer if I remember correctly.

17. voice in the crowd

Thanks.

Sure that is where I got mine from as well.

18. tubachris85x

Just got the Uher 500 in the other day. Didn't get a chance to post sooner

IMG_20180809_183404_486.jpg

jackdoud likes this.
  19. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Whoah! That's actually a really slick looking mixer! I had not yet seen a picture of it. It's apparently also somewhat coveted for its sound. Now I understand how camera guys feel about us! ;) Nice score!

20. tubachris85x

They're fortunately for the moment not too hard to find but I fear that may change due to folks buying them up to pull sliders off. In keeping mine intact for display purposes

21. voice in the crowd

That is the same one I have.

I ripped mine to pieces just to make sure there were no more decent greeblies inside it.

There isn't :(

22. voice in the crowd

tubachris85x I was watching The Empire Strikes Back the other day and noticed that one of these greeblies is definitely used in the Millennium Falcon cockpit.

Best picture I have of it - it is much clearer on screen.

falcon2.jpg

tubachris85x likes this.
  23. geordietrooper

i think a few of the discs have been spotted in the falcon, pic was posted in this thread post 25 1st page

24. tubachris85x

Yea, that's a good picture. I recall there being one clear pic where it was much more clearly visible which is where I remember first learning it was on that set piece.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanted to note that I haven't produced molds yet...I am unfortunately "between jobs" at the moment. Once I get my situation rectified, I'll revisit making molds

Lt Washburn likes this.
  25. tubachris85x

Just updating this

I will be ordering silicone early next month in order to get molds for these. I loaned out one of the thermostats to a vendor to produce molds for his kits, and I should be getting that piece back hopefully this week. I'd very much like to be able to mold both of them at the same time and so I can knock out more than one at a time.

I decided that my soon to be casts will be cold-cast aluminum, and will not be altered from it's original form, i.e., you're getting a copy of how it actually is, and I'm expecting each to be about $5 each, so it won't break anyone's bank.

Oddly enough, last night, I found another thermostat on ebay, and have secured it. It is not in the greatest condition and frankly no good for any actual prop use, but I decided to get it anyways for my collection. It's got what (I thought was paint) but speculated to be limescale and deterioration due to rust on part of it, but it's the same make/model as the ones I found in South Africa, however, with a white plastic backing, and not a black one.

-TC

mrwax and Inquisitor Peregrinus like this.
  26. OdiWan72

Great news TC...IN for a couple of the coldcast discs :)

27. tubachris85x

I got a wedding and honeymoon to fund, so I need to sell a lot of these lol

28. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm in for a bouquets worth

29. tubachris85x

It's a shame I missed Valentines Day

30. tubachris85x

So a follow on from my other update post. I mentioned that I had found another thermostat on Ebay the other night after feeling compelled to search. This is a pic of that one I found (below). Of course, it's got some...issues. Nonetheless,it's still a collectible to me.

So, after paying for this and him packing it up for shipping, I sent him another message asking if by chance he remembered 'exactly' where he sourced it. He confirmed he got it from "some kind of washer" appliance, as he said he couldn't recall. I responded confirming that it was indeed a dishwasher thermostat, and I was hoping he'd been able to remember a specific brand or model. That was last night.

Not too long ago, though, messaging me that he gave it more thought, and while he still couldn't remember the exact origins, he said he *thought* he may have had another one sitting in his loft (I assume he meant his attic). He went out of his way to check, and sure enough, he found what he was looking for, claiming it's "very similar" and that it "still" has it's rubber gasket on it. Now, he claims it's nearly identical, and while the lot I bought from him had other klixon pieces I didn't need, he re-opened the package, took one I didn't need out, and threw the one he had found sitting in his attic, and said he just made it in time to get dropped off for delivery.

I felt that was very kind and generous to do, given he did not even have to do ANY of that for me, especially for such a low price lot.

So, it is very possible that it is indeed another matching thermostat model. He said "very similar" in the first line, but then said "almost identical" in the later line of message....so right now it's a 50/50 on whether or not it truly is another one. I sent a follow-up message thanking him for it, and threw in a question (3 dots on the top?) in there, but we'll see once I get the package in next month.

52556857_557754874634522_1021299860998979584_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.png

thd9791 likes this.
  31. tubachris85x

He confirmed the one he found also has "3 raised dots"

So that gives much higher hope it is indeed another actual thermostat like I need.

32. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

it may say "Master Member" under your name, but you are a master hunter, especially for these thermostats

33. tubachris85x

Lol I think The Ninja has me beat there but I do have an edge on these particular pieces

The Ninja and thd9791 like this.
  34. tubachris85x

Received my new Snowtrooper armor from Laws today. I didnt mention it before but I loaned him one of my thermostats to produce molds from to use for his kits.

It's nice to see some forward movement and this is a very clean cast

20190227_192820.jpg

35. The Ninja

The Ninja Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thank you for the kind words, this prop has not been on my collection radar but I am now following, congrats on the cool finds (y)

tubachris85x likes this.
  36. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

I'll be game for a half dozen when you get the molds done.

tubachris85x likes this.
  37. tubachris85x

Well I can say I really lucked out again.

The wildcard piece was certainly something I was stressing over but when I opened the package and unraveled the bubble wrap seeing this gorgeous piece, I was giddy. I then realized I'm possibly the absolutely lone person to get this excited about some really old and dirty dishwasher thermostats.

I've never seen these with a rubber gasket before in all my research so this is something new to me. It quite certainly suggests that the thermostat is installed inside the main compartment of the washer that gets filled with water. And yes, this rubber gasket is kind of gross. I will be cleaning both up. Fortunately, the original one I feared had corrosion indeed does not. Just a layer of crud that needs to be scrubbed off. It appears to possibly be some kind of limescale, so I think a vinegar bath will do the trick.

I am now thinking once I clean them up and get my one loaner back, I can mold all 4 at once together.

20190304_173040.jpg

20190304_173121.jpg

20190304_173117.jpg

20190304_173111.jpg

20190304_180001.jpg

thd9791 likes this.
  38. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

I think I found a source for brand new ones in France. I tried purchasing 4, bit it would not accept either of my credit cards. If someone manages to purchase some could they PLEASE order a few for me?

I really hope this is the jackpot it looks like it could be.

EDIT:
    I removed the link because something seems fishy. Google "Eaton 9160000 4 Tag T120 2A 250v 123948, Capacitor or Thermostat" if you want to take a look and see if it looks legit. It's not the one on eBay.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  39. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

It wouldn't take my cards either. Bummer.

40. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

Something doesn't feel right. I hope I didn't just post a scam site. I locked my cards in case. Geez, I hope this site is legit.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  41. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

The domain name is legit, so I don't think you should have a problem with your cards. I think maybe the reject was either because of the origin of the sale, France versus US, or that the item was sold and something wasn't updated and got lost is translation. The eBay listing of the exact same part used the same photo and same description.

Hopefully it was someone on the RPF that won the auction.

42. geordietrooper

it took took my payment info and it seemed to drift off to hong kong then crash the page, then i googled the customer service email and it definitely looks like a scam :sick:

on the actual website it does say ( Transaction Message: high risk refuses )
    the order page says ( Payment Fail )

43. geordietrooper

i found another website and they both seem to be using pictures from that old eBay auction
    so stay away run for the hills (n)

44. tubachris85x

Yea guys that's an old Ebay sale. It was sold shortly after we found them last year. Theres a bunch of sites that aggregate Ebay listings, new or old, to act like a middle man so to speak

45. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

So I just checked my credit card and I had already it deactivated, so that might be a reason it rejected. Should be safe.

46. division 6

division 6 Master Member

A few years ago I tried to make a purchase from the UK and it was rejected.

I was then called by my bank and told that the (US) government doesn't want money going out to foreign countries.

I didn't have any problems using PayPal.

47. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. At least we know that new ones exist; somewhere.

48. tubachris85x

Well, actually, the ones you guys were looking at is from the company called "EATON" and was made sometime later in the 80s. I reached out to EATON asking about this particular piece and I received a response that they sold it off to another electronics company (no specified date). I need to follow up with that company to see if they have anything new

thd9791 likes this.
  49. tubachris85x

I just shot a message to the other company now and will see what they say. If they had made any (I haven't seen one from them yet) it certainly would not be vintage, but if it helps lead to finding more, I don't think I'll complain.

thd9791 likes this.
  50. tubachris85x

Took a bit of time to clean these guys up but happy with the results. Hard to tell in the pic but I took some aluminum polish to the one on the right and is nice and shiny.

20190305_230302.jpg