Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 115***

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by tubachris85x, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Muddler

Muddler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research***ON HAND!!!***

Don't know if this is of any value, but if some say that it was initially part of a packaging, but don't know which product, maybe this might lead to a track:
    The arrangement of the three discs reminds me of the Setup of Philips Shavers:

wAWWjdD.jpg h0SHJyz.jpg

Maybe it was part of the packaging of 80s models of those.
    But I'm surely not far into the matter as the rest, so no idea if this leads anywhere.

Edit: Aaaargh! Just now read the very first post, where Philips razors were already mentioned at the end of the list. Sorry for bothering you!

Stormy320 likes this.
  2. Irken Tech

Irken Tech Active Member

I hope you saved the original South African junk store image as part of your documentation. I'd really like to see the picture(s) that ended your quest.

3. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can share those later on. I've been so busy with finishing the girlfriend's birthday gift this week that I've not really had much time to post more about this. I *did* do a quick search again the ther night for a few minutes but I haven't really learned a whole lot more. I do believe that this is of Italian origin per the backside markings though.

4. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Apparently RS Prop Masters has one now.

5. tubachris85x

When I found the discs, they were able to help facilitate getting them delivered, so I offered to let them keep 2

6. tubachris85x

I'm gonna be ordering some silicone this week. Gonna make molds. Once they're out in the public domain, I can't prevent recasting...

I'm not confident that I can find more original pieces at this time.

7. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

It's good of you to share with the community. It's amazing that you were able to track them down after all this time.

I bet a metal forming company could make exact copies out of sheet metal. You could do a run. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. tubachris85x

Yea as much as I would like to, I don't really have the time or money to really invest into such a project at the moment. I know RS plans to eventually produce stamped metal versions from them, but can't say when that will be. In the meantime, I can easily produce cold cast resin ones and would be pretty cheap.

BipeFlyer likes this.
  9. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Congratulations. So exciting when you make a discovery and then find it.

Many of have been curious about this piece for years.

I looked through the thread and my apologies if I missed the description. So what exactly is It?

10. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Maybe ask Chris/Fieldmarshall if he might be interested o team up with you on this?

11. Hovito loincloth

Hovito loincloth Well-Known Member

Exactly this. What is it?

12. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

It's an appliance thermostat, also called a therm-o-disc. The problem is this is a weird one with 3 contacts and it's one of those things that's impossible to search for online as the keywords bring up way too many bad hits.

tubachris85x likes this.
  13. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Yeah, pretty much. Finding these was a one in a million shot. BTW, I'm from Norristown too.

jackdoud likes this.
  14. tubachris85x

I'll be posting more about it this week. Last week and this weekend was incredibly busy for me. I've also not had proper computer access during the week which limits me to my phone

jackdoud likes this.
  15. tubachris85x

Alright well, here's what I know.

I still don't know what appliance/machine it's used for. It's likely for something large, like a boiler or large dryer, and some signs pointing towards even an oven. All I do know is that it's some type of thermostat piece. There's a multitude of these things out there, but these are obviously unique by it's triple-dot design AND it's size. This may also be referred to as a "klixon." While Klixon IS a brand, it's also seemingly used as a generic term- like the use of 'band-aide," so my usual search terms included at least the combination of "thermostat" and "klixon"

The ones I found in South Africa was through a listing on "BidorBuy," which is best described as SA's version of Ebay, with one of the 2 nearly identical listings looking like this.

bidorbuy listing.jpg

So there were 2 separate listings, with at least 2 of the desired pieces in each lot, totaling 4. These are clearly older or have been through a lot of use. While the metal portion is easy to clean, the rear plastic portions are quite dirty. I am pretty certain that the white portion on the rear is actually a ceramic material. RS Cracked one open and this possible ceramic portion was formed into the inside of the metal disc portion.

20180611_212653-1.jpg

Here, you can read the markings. It's a 2a 250V part. The portion that is not clear is the "Vebe-SpA-ITALIA." Of course, the "ITALIA" leads me to believe this particular piece was of Italian origin. "Vebe" appears to be an actual company producing some type of testing equipment. "SpA" doesn't give me any results other than resort listings. Of course, there's the patent number- 123946, which has not yielded any significant results when searching patent databases

20180611_212708-1.jpg

Also something to note, the sequence of stamped letters (from the inside) are different. They are each:

EV1500 NA 40 60 2/73
    EV1500 NA 34 60 9/74

While it's just my speculation, I feel the final series of numbers are the actual manufacture date, so the first one being made in February 1973 and the 2nd being September 1974, and if so, would put these at 45 years old!

20180611_212821-1.jpg

20180611_212840-1 (1).jpg

I do want to add this, as I did another search, and came across THIS Ebay sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-9160...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

No, I didn't buy it, but perhaps someone here did ;) It looks that way as the seller had re-listed this very thing multiple times...and was just sold on June 6th. But what's different here is that this seems to be made much more recently. The company "Eaton" appears to prominently produce electric components in the 80s. I haven't done a deep dive yet, but this at least confirms there's been at least 2 manufacturers of this piece at 2 different points in time, which means it may still be possible to locate more. That one in the ebay listing is clearly unused and in perfect shape. The other thing to note here is that according to the listing, this had a patent number of "123948" where the ones we have are "123946," which again, indicates to me that the ebay one is much newer.

So yea, there it is. Goodluck finding them if you can. I will be molding mine regardless to offer up to the community, and I'll post when I do

-TC

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Terrible Rid, Clutch, HDPE and 6 others like this.
  16. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

Thank you for sharing this info! I was a wee afraid that it would stay "secret" like he Tie Pilot helmet pill/needle box. I understand the need to get ones grubbies on the item first.

In doing some digging I keep seeing these thermostats. Anyone else seeing the Biker Scout blaster greeblie? This one isn't an exact match, but it seems like a good possibility.

Attached Files:

17. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

I think the Scout blaster greeblie is a TO-3 style power transistor.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

18. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I bet the poor seller on Ebay doesn't know whats hit him. He has probably has woken up this morning to hundreds messages asking him 'what where when how' questions and doesn't realise that what went last week for £9.99 would go for ten times that amount this week!!

19. geordietrooper

geordietrooper Well-Known Member

you do know that particular info is public now ?

20. bdgr

bdgr Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  21. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Funny you should mention this. I just picked up a pile of them last month. More info soon :)
    FYI I haven’t found them actually attached to anything but I believe they ARE from vintage microphones (CB or ham).

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  22. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

I used to be a computer tech, so my first thought was an IBM PC 83 key keyboard DIN plug, but that didn't come out until 1981.

Have you looked at old headphones with DIN plugs?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  23. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Nope! Not to derail this thread, but can I ask what it is? I found a phonograph stylus box a while back that looked right (wrong color) but failed to buy it.

24. tubachris85x

While this will be a simple piece to mold/cast, my concern is the wall thickness of the outer-rim of the metal disc portion. In metal, it's fine, cause metal....in resin, however, it's very thin. This means I will need to make it thicker for casting purposes or make it such that that whomever works with them needs to remove the excess material around it. My thought is that if I don't make it thick for the casting, if someone goes to add the rivet detail, you may crack/damage it...I'll be doing cold-cast versions for now though.

25. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

Just a thought, but what if you made a plaster of Paris plug and then vacuum formed using HIPS? It would come out very similar to the original part thickness and less likely to crack than resin.

I've done this for radio-controlled airplane parts and it works beautifully.

26. tubachris85x

I agree with the method you described. Unfortunately I don't have the time to invest in a new forming apparatus at the moment. I've done HIPs vac-forming many years ago though

27. Aku

Aku New Member

jackdoud, HDPE and tubachris85x like this.
  28. tubachris85x

29. Irken Tech

Irken Tech Active Member

Ahhh very satisfying. Good work tubachris85x and Aku!

Too bad I don't need/want one, but I immensely enjoyed the journey.

30. tubachris85x

One thing I am noticing between both Eaton parts and the ones I've found- the Eaton version does not appear to have stamped markings along the outer rim. That's how it looks in the pictures

31. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

It's amazing that this part is been identified after all these years. You guys did a great job!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  32. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

I totally understand. I'm not trying to create work for you, just throwing ideas out there.

33. Lt Washburn

Lt Washburn Active Member

Thank you for identifying the part source.

34. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Great thread , just like the good old days of the RPF, when stuff is shared for everyone's benefit :thumbsup;

I wish cast from original Snowtrooper armor was available.... to put this on.:)

35. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

36. tubachris85x

Closest anyone's going to get in the near future is the Anovos armor. Throw on the RS helmet and backpack, and you'll be closer than anyone has before.

37. Irken Tech

Irken Tech Active Member

It would be great to find the model of dishwasher (and/or other appliances) that accepts this part and maybe a schematic from an old repair manual that shows where it goes.

38. tubachris85x

Given that the ones I've found and the EATON brand ones, I think this may be a semi-universal part? These have appeared, to our knowledge, in south africa, the UK, and now Turkey. It would be at least as old as the early 70s and used through the 80s, to warrant a "new" version to have been produced.

39. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

A thought on disc replicating... Maybe make a negative of the top out of hydrocal or some other hard, durable casting material, and use it to chase/repoussé an aluminum disc into...? A couple of wasters to get the hang of it, and one should be able to, taking care, knock out at least a replica an hour.

Regarding the Merr-Sonn scope thingie:
    *lol* Of course you did. I'm still (not monetarily) indebted to you for your dosimeter score of some years back. Is there any chance in hell I might be able to snag one of these upon your reveal?

Yeah, they're not DIN plugs. Those have a void inside the shield with the metal pins. The Merr-Sonn pieces (and other similar plugs) are "gender-flopped" -- the socket has the void with the pins, the plug has the holes. Like this:

index.jpg

40. tubachris85x

Fantastically dangerous ideas for me to do at home lol

41. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Dollars to donuts you'll find other mystery greeblies also. I doubt there was only one donor bit from that appliance.

42. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just ordered two thermostats from the turkish website...it´s a gamble, since I don´t know if they ship intl.

Thank god for google translator :lol !

43. tubachris85x

Oh you were successful? I had been told by a few people that they were not able to even place an order

44. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

Possible but seeing as there were around 20 of these things used throughout ESB I doubt they disassembled that many dishwashers. They probably just found a pile of them in a box junk shop.

Irken Tech likes this.
  45. tubachris85x

I have to agree that these were likely spare parts they acquired in some form of bulk quantity. Sure, it may certainly help to identify the actual dishwasher make/model, but I feel that there actually may be multiple models that uses this particular thermostat, given how we've found these in different locations

46. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Was complicated, ut I received an order confirmation. We will see if they ship to Germany

47. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That was from literally just down the road from me

48. tubachris85x

I'm looking at my options to get these stamped in metal VS machined. The nature of the details, a machined version would still be more replica than "cast from," simply because you're losing nuance details.

49. tubachris85x

OK, friend of mine is going to 3D scan them for me this weekend, so we should have a functioning 3D model. I'm in talks about getting dies made, so I think we could use the 3D scans to produce a CAD file for that purpose.

50. CatfoodRob

CatfoodRob Well-Known Member

A couple more close ups for the detail freaks.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jackdoud, Lt Washburn and dcarty like this.