Snow Speeder model finished!

Will be glad to share!

Thoughts on the canopy glass?

Also, did you remove the forward mounts for the laser canons?

I just realized today they do not exist on the orignals.

As far as the canopy glass, I just used what was provided. The little pilots took some work to not look like monkeys though. And yes, I did remove the forward gun mounts. They are completely unnecessary!
-Corey

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
PHArchivist wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I'd love to see shots of the pilots, and hear about how you re-worked them...

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Aegis159 wrote:
I'll post some shots of my completed one when I get home tonight. I did extensive work on the pilot and gunner figure that comes with the kit... they were waaaaay inaccurate. I have another one in the works as well....been in the works for a while now... that'll go along with the completed one on a diorama base....

And unlike MR I went with the more visually striking orange markings....
icon_wink.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Hehehe I didn't forget, just been super busy at home. I'll try and get them uploaded tonight if the wife lets me... I say that cuz I'm coming down with a nasty cold and she wants me to go directly to bed when I get home from work... and she can be pretty persistant...
icon_wink.gif

Ok here are some pics of the ship. The pictures never do any justice for the piece.... the weathering looks much heavier in person.... damn lighting
icon_mad.gif

Ok onto the pics...

Snowspeeder1.jpg

Snowspeeder3.jpg

Snowspeeder5.jpg

Snowspeeder2.jpg

About the only thing original on the pilot and gunner are their faces and their fingers- although I did shorten certain fingers on their hands since not all of our fingers are the same length
icon_wink.gif
. I shortened their arms, and the gloves, chopped their bodies up and built new ones that are proportioned properly, added the chestbox and straps, and then built completely new helmets for them. I added chin straps, and the helmet mics and safety restraints to the interior.

I didn't use the canopy glass that came with the kit... it's waaaay too thick and with their correct helmets the fit is definately off. I pulled out some .010 clear sheet styrene and attached it instead. Looks good in place as compared to that super thick stock one.

Besides that I added a few little greebles in the airbrake compartment and then ran hydraulic lines to the two brakes that are deployed.

IMO, this ERTL is one of the better reproductions opf the studio models... You paint it up nicely and get the right photography, and you'd be hard pressed to tell it from the studio scale models...

AND they've recently re-released it, haven't they...?

Many thanks for the compliments!! Yeah the snowspeeder and the Tyderium shuttle kits are two of their better kits when it comes to accuracy... not counting their interior or figures that come with the speeder though
icon_wink.gif

I had heard that Racing Champions was going to be re-releasing a bunch of AMT/ERTL Star Wars ships....

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
According to Racing Champions, current release dates for other models are:

- January 2005: Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, Snowspeeder, Millennium Falcon, AT-ST, Star Destroyer
- February: Large (1/48-ish, not Pro-Shop Electronic) X-Wing
- March: Death Star, Speeder Bike, Slave One
- April: TIE Interceptor
- June: Naboo Fighter
- July: Cutaway Millennium Falcon
Not listed, but supposed to be reissued, is the B-Wing kit

But I haven't been into any of the area model shops to see if they are actually out there...

Wow! That is a fantastic speeder! I couldn't stop laughing when I was putting this together at how bad those figures are. You did a great job making it look really good. Thanks for sharing the pics! BTW, I know what you mean about losing the weathering in the pics-mine is much heavier than my pics show too.
-Corey

Have any of you considered using an alternate pilot figure, such as a Capn Cardboard X-Wing pilot, or the Pro-shop X-Wing oilot...?

Vaderbreath, the "vents/screens" molded into the rear gun housings -- did you file those down, since they don't appear on the studio models...?

No, I didn't do anything to them. When I did this model I was mainly concerned with working out different weathering techniques. I added a few things, but not much.
-Corey

That is essentially my approach too... In that size, attaining 110% accuaracy just aint worth it.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
vaderbreath wrote:
No, I didn't do anything to them. When I did this model I was mainly concerned with working out different weathering techniques. I added a few things, but not much.
-Corey

Answered my question about he pilots: The CC X-Wing drivers are too big, the Pro-shop kit drivers are too small...
icon_frown.gif

I just finished up my Snowspeeder model. This is the re-issue kit. I picked it up at Wal-mart a few weeks back for $12 bucks.

I am still working on the pilots. I didn't do any mods other than adding a couple panel lines and some fiber optic lighting in the cockpit. I am re-working the pilots to make them look closer to the studio scales.

I kinda follwed the paint scheme of one of the Studio models, but since the detail is a bit different on this kit, I didn't follow the studio models exactly.

Anyway, here are the pics. Let me know what you think.
SnwSpdr1.jpg

SnwSpdr2.jpg

I really like the job you did on it,and the fiber optics adds a really nice touch. Can you post more pics of the cockpit with fiber optics? I'm doing this kit as well.
-goldenrod

Originally posted by Goldenrod@Jul 26 2005, 03:55 AM
I really like the job you did on it,and the fiber optics adds a really nice touch. Can you post more pics of the cockpit with fiber optics? I'm doing this kit as well.
-goldenrod
[snapback]1042247[/snapback]​

Thanks.

This was the first time I had done any fiber optics. I have a couple of nice studio scale models I want to add fiber optics to. So I figured I would practice a bit on some less expensive models.

For the speeder, I added a couple red and green lights to the front dash and 3 red lights to the back dash. I also added a small green led into the scope for the rear gunner. I wanted it to cast just a bit of green glow onto the rear gunner pilot when turned on.

I'll try and get some shots with the cockpit lights on. I didn't have the lighting quite right when I took the first set of shots. Lighting was either too dark or too light.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. I was impressed with the detail on this kit. Not super accurate, but I like the detail they put into this model. Pretty good for $12 bucks.

Originally posted by Goldenrod@Jul 26 2005, 03:55 AM
-goldenrod
[snapback]1042247[/snapback]​

Here are some pics of the lighting. Kinda grainy shots. Hard to shoot low light shots with my camera.

You can also see one of the pilots I am working on.

SnwSpdr1_1.jpg

SnwSpdr2_1.jpg

SnwSpdr3.jpg

SnwSpdr4.jpg

Thanks

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back