"Snow" Predator *test fitting Oct 20th*

Well be careful what you wish for. I posted the other day that I thought some furs would be a cool accent on this build. Yesterday while speaking to my neighbor, the subject of animal skins came up, and a while later he showed up at my door with a bin full of pelts! He said they were old and no good for sale, so I could use what I wanted...Here's what he left with me:

pelts.jpg

That's a wolf, two fox, and an otter skin.
My conundrum being this...do I use them?
I am by nature an animal lover...I am having some ethical issues with using these based on the fact that they were trapped (some 20 yrs ago mind you) in leg hold traps or snares.

On the other hand, as they were basically just sitting in a plastic bin all this time, I don't feel like I would be "contributing" to trapping by using them , unlike if I were to purchase hides, which might encourage the trapper to go out and trap more.

Get over it?
Fake fur instead?
The final decision would be my own but I'm curious as to what others think about this....
Mike

pelts.jpg

dude, i'd use if i were u cause there such nice skins... u could make like a shoulder drape with the wolf would look very nice with the snow sceme you have going

i think you are ok ethically to use them. but things to consider. other people might give you crap about it while suiting around at cons etc. and if it bothers you that they used to be alive then don't wear em. personally, i don't think theres anything wrong with it.

fantastic looking pred skins BTW!

I'm a huge animal lover as well and detest hunting especially trapping, however in this case the damage has already been done and like you said you didn't pay for them so in no way are encouraging the practice, especially considering the age of the pelts. But as xdmray said people who don't know how you aquired them are likely to give you crap about it and being suited up explaining them will be a bit difficult. I am going to use some skins on the 2 suits that I am working on at the moment, but I am going to get my skins from an abattoir (goat mostly) and from, disgusting as it may be, road kill (I'm hoping for a nice red fox). Personally I would use them but it basically comes down to whether or not you are willing to put up with people commenting about it

On another note the paint up looks absolutely awesome, it's going to look amazing when it's done

Xdmray and Kelz...thank you for the reasoned responses. I was reluctant to even post my concerns, and am relieved to hear that my reservations have not been taken lightly.
As things stand i do plan on using the hides in the costume, but I'm not dead set one way or the other. Hopefully, being as the con is in a fairly northern area, I wouldn't run into problems with "anti-fur" folks. Explaining the origins of the furs could be tiresome!
Tonight I spoke to the person I'm supposed to go to the con with and now things are looking iffy about getting there at all. I'll keep folks posted.
Mike

I know i will probably get flamed hellish for saying this but.... here goes guys...

I seriously dont mind using furs and i LOVE the way they look on costumes. Furs always make a costume stand out that little bit more.
For most of my Viking costumes.. i have fur.. my cloke is reindeer (yes.. i did know the beast personally..) I have 3 fox skins of my own... all three of which i shot myself.. (i live on a farm.. and they killed my chickens ducks geese and a cat)
I also have a few grey squirle skins and i think weezle (cant remember)

Skin and furs ARNT bad to use aslong as you use ALL thats on the animal.... Reindeer is RLY nice to eat... Squirls.... interesting... fox is .. nah u just cant even eat that.. but the bones are good to use and also it keeps other foxes away.

So guys.. please always consider using furs! but remember use all the animal.. if its just killed for its fur thats crule...

i also have to say... Fox makes a good man bra. dont ask!! one of my friends.. whos... rather large desided to make a viking bra.. out of fox pelts. it looked amusing at the time but he realiesed it was a bad idea when he rolled down a hiklll into some nettles and the only part that wasnt red lumpy and puffy was where the pelts had been.. and he looked like that FOR DAYS!!!

and well.. If anyone in the uk wants fox pelts dont hessitate to PM me. I also can get reindeer bager (whiuch i dont like but hey i can get it) If you have any other requests Im almost possitive i can get almost anything at a good price.

Sorry if any doesnt like this.

love you guys *hides and runs*

Cool animal pelts not sure how I feel about it but to be truthful if your putting an animal for good use I don't give a damn! Can't wait to see how it looks on your costume looks awesome so far.

Today I got the package I've been waiting for from Casey... my new P2 armor set!
Got it home and couldn't wait to dig in! Needless to say, the casting on this set is flawless. I couldn't be happier!
Without further ado, photos...
First up, everything I received all laid out...
armor1-1.jpg

The Gauntlets are nice and thick, and the resin top was a surprise, I expected everything to be latex...
armor2-1.jpg

The back of the torso armor...
armor4-1.jpg

everything was nicely foamed. A bit of trimming and I'll be ready to paint! This is the back of the disc mount...
armor5-1.jpg

And yet more resin goodies, including a net gun. Top notch casting too.
armor6-1.jpg

So there you have it. Everything I need to finish off my pred all in one box (well, minus blades, but those are on the way as well from another member).
Am I happy with this set? You betcha...shout outs to Casey for the excellent craftsmanship!
More to come once I get painting everything.
Mike

armor1-1.jpg

armor2-1.jpg

armor4-1.jpg

armor5-1.jpg

armor6-1.jpg

That looks great ..so ..my question ..what color are you painting it. I always imagined the snow pred's armor to be a metal base with a grungy white painted over...maybe some chipping and black smoke and blast marks ..almost like a stormtrooper. ..then there's the Bio ...gotta match that up ...how cool would the "blades" bio look on this suit?...with the blades installed it would look like this arctic sabertooth. Wow ...this suit is ultra-cool ..what ever you go with , you've got a winner!!

Great ideas, ptgreek! I wonder what he's going to come up with. This is such an awesome costume. It's got "Lost Hunter" potential in my eyes. Almost like he's the brother of Hippie. :lol:

I'm not set on a paint scheme yet but I'm leaning towards a dark slate color to offset all the white. I think once I get everything trimmed and ready for paint I'll have a better idea of the color scheme.
Mike

I'm glad you like your stuff Mike, be sure to wash any resin parts with warm water and dish soap to remove any left over mold release. I can't wait to see it all finished.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back