Snipping The Wire -- Anyone Tempted?

Annunaki

I love photographing my Falconer and Berserker. I never use the LED lights on their masks and have been tempted tp just cut the wire off as it always gets in the way of the pics or I always have to be concerened about hiding it.

Any repercussions other than possibly hurting the resale value? (though I doubt that I'll ever let these things go)...

There have been dozens of times that I've gotten hold of a toy/model and didn't like or need a certain feature, maybe because I didn't like how it looked or could use the space for more detailing. Whether it's a light, sound speaker or some gimmicky mechanism, I rarely hesitate in modifying if I have a better idea in mind.

I just love the idea of getting something cool and customising it, just to make it unique.

But:

I never resell my models/toys. Because I get attached to them, I never really care about resale value. Also, because of the insane cost of Hot Toys figures, I might think twice about modifying one unless I could get a replacement/replacement parts if things went wrong.

For pictures i wouldn't cut the wire, you can photo shop things out and most wouldn't think it looks bad if you tuck it tight to the dreads.You may one day sell these guys i would not rule that out completely, i am on the same boat now but for 2000$ ten years from now i may part with them if i am done with collecting.Oh and yes it would mess up the value by alittle for sure.Funny enough why does the falconer have led's , to spook people ?

Just hide it behind the dreadlocks, futz around with them a bit. Even if you're not going to resell your figures, I'd be a little OCD about permanently ruining a feature like that. Wouldn't feel right.

Yeah... it really doesn't "feel" right -- is the biggest thing stopping me. Crazy, huh? With the hoses and leather straps already as part of their wardrobe,
seems the wiring could have been made to look like a part of their ensemble... maybe painted a leathery brown or disguised as another functional hose coming from out of the mask. But then again, that wouldn't be quite "right" either.

NECA figures are win win with mods.A little small for my tastes but over all it wont break the bank if you ruin one.I have seen a couple bad mods on hot toys and every time I see one "whyyyyyyyyyyyy" is me saying it out loud at home

NECA figures are win win with mods.A little small for my tastes but over all it wont break the bank if you ruin one.I have seen a couple bad mods on hot toys and every time I see one "whyyyyyyyyyyyy" is me saying it out loud at home

Good advice. Plus with NECA, a well-done mod will easily improve the figure. If you get a good customizer or have some bangin' paint skills yourself, that mediocre 7-incher could become a masterpiece by the time you're done.
Hot Toys, on the other hand, already has the best figure paint in the business. Unless you're a customizing god and have plans to make it completely different, it'll end up being a waste. Very rarely do HT projects turn out nicely when the owner is doing it to simply "improve" the piece. Either go big and completely change it, or leave it as it is.

Yeah, the amount we spend on HT figures is the whole reason I wouldn't muck with them (unless I was a millionaire).

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back