Snake Eyes: GI Joe 2 Retaliation suit ***NEW HELMET PICS ADDED***

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by BlackKaos, Feb 3, 2012.

1. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have been vigorously working on the armor pieces for Snake Eyes from the new GI Joe 2 Retaliation movie. I know that there are a couple of people working on this suit and they are really good so far like Maulfett's chest and shoulder armor which is amazing. And I'm just waiting for more trailer or picture releases to help with the bicep, forearm and back piece. I have about a 70% idea of how those pieces are designed but don't want to do anything concrete until I can confirm.

Right know I have the helmet, chest and shoulder pieces I'm working on. The helmet I am completely done and anxiously waiting for the silicone mold to dry! I'm going to be sanding and sculpting the chest and back which is all being done from my pep files.

So here is my progress so far. Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    mrttmattos likes this.
  2. Omnedon

Omnedon New Member

Re: Snake Eyes: GI Joe 2 Retaliation suit

Amazing! Will follow with great interest. So cool to see the work in progress.

3. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Looks great! Keep us updated!

4. BlackKaos

Update: Just finished 3rd coat of silicone which finishes that part. I will wait for it to dry overnight and make the hard shell tomorrow. Then attempt my first pull.

5. OliverQueenIND

OliverQueenIND Well-Known Member

watching this like crazy

6. BlackKaos

Unfortunately there is going to be some delay. I was going to do the hard shell in just fiberglass but I don't have any mold release or wax type spray so the fiberglass doesn't adhere to the silicone. There is no store around my area that sells it so I have to order it. I also ordered some plaster bandages which I will do first to make it easier to separate. Then I will coat the fiberglass the plaster for strength. I did that on my last mold and it worked really well.

7. Bradleyw

Bradleyw Well-Known Member

this looks awesome really interested to see how this works out. good luck

8. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

fiberglass shouldnt stick to the silicone,,oh an this looks awesome

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. BlackKaos

I know that it shouldn't but I would like to have some type of release agent just incase. And thanks for the comments!

10. BlackKaos

Just got more plaster bandages yesterday. Finishing Mother mould today so pics of my first pull should be up by today or tomorrow.

11. Maulfett

Maulfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great so far, my armor still on hold until i get more references photos.

12. Allfate

Allfate Active Member

that looks great man... cant wait to see the pulls ;)

13. BlackKaos

I just ordered better silicone from smooth on. I used other (cheaper) brushable silicone and it didn't turn out that great. The pulls turned out use-able which I might sell but not perfect like I want. There were some air bubbles and a dent in the top of the head. The new silicone mould will be much better. I should be receiving the silicone on Monday or Tuesday.

Mauflett- have you seen the new Snake Eyes toy pics. The one toy is pretty accurate and has decent pics. I have figure out how the forearm armor is now and will also be making that out of foam using my pepakura files. I figure that section will be easier done in foam due to the layers. I might mould them after I do them in foam so I can cast them in resin also.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  14. Maulfett

I saw it, i still waiting for more photo. I don't want to make it twice any armor parts.

15. newfiebackflip

newfiebackflip New Member

Looks great so far.

While growing up all my friends loved all the other major superhero's but not me. Snake Eyes was my man, i had all his toys. It was even my nick name in the military as I was a ninjitsu student.

I would love to have a movie replica costume so bad. Just don't have the skills or the time as I have a shiny new daughter. Maybe I will try the pep route again.

This makes me very jealous but I admire it 100% great job!!!!

16. BlackKaos

Thanks for the comments. Cast helmet pics will be posted soon.

17. BlackKaos

Re: Snake Eyes: GI Joe 2 Retaliation suit...pics of helmet added

Here is a pic of the first raw cast pull. This is without the back piece which I ran out of urethane. I have more ordered. Let me know what you think. The helmet right now is a little tight because I made the urethane a little thick.... Lesson learned :facepalm

Now I've just been racking my brain on how to due the visor. I have thought about using clear resin but I would have to tint it and I'm not sure how to do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  18. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Just use a seeing eye dog and call him...
    Timber
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqjJrP77JopsS1RdOvH8CfjZNiCXjNPMT7wdncXTiXE5wYw_Pz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  19. OliverQueenIND

looks great. Why not vac form the visor, or make each visor by hand out of 2 or 3 motorcycle visors?

20. BlackKaos

I've thought about the motorcycle visor but I don't know how to glue the pieces of the helmet visor together without messing up seeing through it. I also really interested in vacuum forming but I don't have a vacuum former handy and they are expensive to buy.

21. OliverQueenIND

Perhaps if you use one visor as the base and then glue the segments over that you can chose which areas are best to glue and not impede the vision.

As far as vac form goes, you can build your own for small jobs such as this. I think
    there are many plans and how to videos on Youtube as well as, I am sure, a few
    clever folks on this very forum that could help out.

22. BlackKaos

The funny thing is that I just got a really good deal on a good vacuum former so I'm going to try and vacuum form the visor which is what I think they did any way. It will look a lot smoother then gluing pieces of visor together, which I would have done if I couldn't vacuum form the visor. Now I just have to wait on the vacuum form machine.

23. OliverQueenIND

Right on man. That should look killer.

24. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

that is awesome

25. Skyler101

Skyler101 Sr Member

Any updates?

Loving this thread!

-Skyler101

26. topherhunter

topherhunter Member

I've been wondering about the visor, too. The gloss and coloring almost looks like it's a laminate of a smoked acrylic with a clear acrylic over top. You could do that with two sheets of plexiglass, and sandwich threads in between to get the lines. Tricky as h***, but might give the right look?

27. BlackKaos

I plan on using a vacuum form machine for the visor and using plexi glass or petg glass to form the shape. For the black gloss look I'm going to use lense tint spray paint on the inside of the visor to make it black outside but still see through on the inside. I've seen other people use this method for a draft punk helmet. It will look very close to the movie visor.

28. topherhunter

topherhunter Member

I like it. What about the lines? Can you mask it somehow?

I was also wondering about auto window tinting film?

29. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

WTH couldn't I have had you do my helmet!:facepalm
    It sounds like this will be turning out great!:thumbsup

30. BlackKaos

Thanks for the comments!

The lines aren't painted on so no masking is necessary. They are actual grooves in the visor which will come out when I vacuum form the visor. And like I said I will not be using window tint due to the intricate detail of the visor. Black auto lense tint spray for brake lights will work great for this so I don't have to mess with window tint.

31. topherhunter

topherhunter Member

Sweet. I'd likely buy a visor off of you if you do a run.

32. McAullay

McAullay New Member

Yeah, I second that motion, please let me know if you plan on selling a few. I'll look into that for sure

33. BlackKaos

Is everyone just wanting the visor or the helmet because I am selling raw casts of the helmet already without the visor. I posted an interest thread a while back but didn't get any responses so I didn't think people want the helmet. Here is the interest thread http://www.therpf.com/f13/snake-eyes-retaliation-helmet-140667/

Let me know if anyone is interested. Please post in the interest thread.

34. mcoatsey

mcoatsey Active Member

Dude, the helmet looks awesome. Big big Snake-eye's fan. The silent ninja is definately on my too doo list. Look forward to seeing progress

35. BlackKaos

Long time no hear from Mcoatsey. It's good to see you are still on here. Thank you sir.

I'm going to try and make the visor from two motor cycle face sheilds like Mauflett did his. It's not a bad substitute until I can get the vacuum forming method down.

36. Maulfett

Hi, for the visor use one motor cycle visor and one dark flexible visor like the faceshield when people use to cut garden with a trimmer

37. BlackKaos

Mauflett, I definitely will.

38. mcoatsey

mcoatsey Active Member

Things been busy with work, Uni etc, I've been a bit slack. A big to-doo list but never enough hours in the day. I will get round to finishing the other peps from you. Working on the gluing Redhood v2 pep. Kapow 2012 is on next wkend in London, plus a DC-52 panel will be there. Loving the Snake-Eye's, look forward watching your progress.

39. tijuanajack2002

tijuanajack2002 New Member

I am interested as well but my question for the helmet gurus as my sculpting is limited. Can it be done around a DOT approved Carbon Fiber Daytona skull cap helmet? Can the Face portion be done with a Kevlar/carbon fiber weave fabrice, line two layer to protect the face with just glueing on the visor, and face portion? Maybe connecting to the Helmet with rare earth magnets? I would be willing to pay if some one could do this as I am making a spare fiber glass body for my Buell 1125R bike to make a Snake eyes bike with duo mini guns up front and one out back.

40. BlackKaos

Not sure is one could be made around such helmet. It would be hard because the snake eyes retaliation movie helmet is not a motorcycle helmet even though it appears to be in some areas but the shape is different.

Also I have never worked with kevlar/carbon fiber fabric at all. That kind of fabric I believe needs certain resin and also needs to be compressed together for strength. I wouldn't know where to begin.

I don't think gluing a visor on for practical riding protection use is really a good idea. I don't think it would hold up in an accident. I know that motorcycle helmets are DOT approved and have to build to specific specifications.

41. Lettersfromhoth

Lettersfromhoth New Member

love the helmet

42. Hanzo

Hanzo Active Member

can't wait to see the finished product!! interested in buying one!!

43. Beard

Beard Member

Hey dude, your snake is amazing! love the work you have done. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some pep files for a cobra commander helmet. I know your busy with snake eyes but any help would be awesome. Thanks man, keep up the great work hope to see some more pics soon.

44. mydigitalvoid

mydigitalvoid Active Member

Love the work you are doing! Will be watching this.

45. BlackKaos

Beard - I sell a pep file for the new cobra commander helmet. Just PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the comments. I have new stuff I'm working on for the whole suit. I have a new helmet that is comming from shapeways that I modeled that is almost 100% accurate and will be vacuum forming the new visor that is coming also. I will post pics when done.

46. acesh007

acesh007 Active Member

Looking forward to seeing the progress

47. rik arashikage

rik arashikage New Member

this is awesome want to buy one for halloween im interested in buy the armour too

48. Okko

Okko New Member

hi...im new here...just saw a trailer of the G.I joe Retaliation and was fascinated with Snake eyes helmet...can anyone tell where i could get the pep file of the helmet and eventually with what material it would be best to be build in

49. thundercrats

thundercrats Member

Awesome looking helmet. Any updates?

50. Jorge BM

Jorge BM New Member

would you pass me the pepakura link??