SMT Galactic Shuttle

Originally posted by JP05+Nov 7 2005, 06:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JP05 @ Nov 7 2005, 06:39 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Tordoc@Nov 7 2005, 02:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-cobywan
@Nov 6 2005, 09:31 PM
All I have heard is that nobody is getting replied back from thier emails.  Even Alfred is getting nervous about the return of his masters.
[snapback]1111080[/snapback]​

I last received an email from Colin 2 days ago.
[snapback]1111121[/snapback]​

About the shuttle? What did it say?
[snapback]1111293[/snapback]​
[/b]

I didn't ask about the shuttle. I'm still chasing down my missing Patrol Craft.

Update..............kinda

Got an email stating that he had update coming out this weekend too keep everyone up to speed. The molds were being set for a Nov 15 restart date. Anyone else hear anything?

Steve

Originally posted by JP05@Nov 19 2005, 09:09 PM
Update..............kinda

Got an email stating that he had update coming out this weekend too keep everyone up to speed.  The molds were being set for a Nov 15 restart date.  Anyone else hear anything?

Steve
[snapback]1119248[/snapback]​

Has anyone recieved any emails or product yet?

Steve

I feel for you guys..been there in the unknown. All I know is that I can't order one until the current pre-orders get fulfilled. I hope you get them soon. Even the site states:
"Off sale until all the pre-orders have been filled. After that it will be avaliable at Federation Models"
It seams to me that I have read something about delayed deliveries from SMT before, but can't remember where I read it. I am sure there is a simple and logical explanation though. Quality always takes more time than given,..right? That is probably what is happening..just quality control.

That'n not what's happening. You probably read about these problems everywhere. These delays have been going on for years. The problem is a case of biting off more than you can choose. Then you thrown in horrible real life issues then you can imagine what SMT is dealing with.

I believe the saying goes "biting off more than you can chew". Regarding the Smt issue, Let's all lay off bashing SMT and Colin, I have one of these kits on order too and I do not see how it will help resolve anything. It could possibly hurt everyone's chances.

As for Colin Coming through, I just got my SMT pod bay base for the CC pod last week. Things are happening.

Originally posted by cobywan@Dec 14 2005, 11:14 AM
That'n not what's happening.  You probably read about these problems everywhere.  These delays have been going on for years.  The problem is a case of biting off more than you can choose.  Then you thrown in horrible real life issues then you can imagine what SMT is dealing with.
[snapback]1135767[/snapback]​

Those are great points Coby.

I do hope the horrible real life issues are minimal as I would for anyone.

It sounds to me that I am behind the eight ball on this subject so as a buyer I have a question....
Being this appears to be an ongoing problem, and it seems to be common knowledge too, why is SMT still getting this kind of business? I understand that they may have the only Shuttle available,..unless you go direct to A. Wong and he agrees to do a private casting, but I guess I'd be leary of a business with a poor past of delivery. Is it just a matter of want?

Well,..maybe that was 2 questions... :rolleyes

SMT wasn't always slow. For quite a long time they were realiable, produced a quality product, and very reasonable to deal with. To some extent they are victims of their own success. The demand became bigger then their ability to keep up with... or maybe barely keep up with. Then you throw in some unscrupulous employees stealing product etc and you have a situation where things start falling significantly behind schedule, then you have the LFL C&D where he thought he might lose his shirt and had to deal with the lawyers, then his Father passing away, you have the recipe for a very good company/person in a really cr@ppy position of owing people a ton pf product and not having the ability to get it all out in a timely manner....

So you have where we are now, a company that has basically stopped taking new orders so that he can workoff the huge backlog of outstanding orders...Which is exactly what a good - responsible company should do.

As to why did/do we still order from SMT...speaking for myself I have had good dealings with him in the past and trust him not to be a rip off artist. I can really sympathize with most of what he's gone through in the last year having had similar troubles myself. In short I trust that he will eventually come through with what he promised because that is the kind of person he is, based on my previous expereinces dealing with him. I've never met him personally but I have had numerous email "conversations" and purchases from him, and have always been happy with the product - even if it arrived significantly late.

Jedi Dade

Originally posted by Jedi Dade@Dec 14 2005, 12:22 PM
SMT wasn't always slow.  For quite a long time they were realiable, produced a quality product, and very reasonable to deal with.  To some extent they are victims of their own success.  The demand became bigger then their ability to keep up with... or maybe barely keep up with.  Then you throw in some unscrupulous employees stealing product etc and you have a situation where things start falling significantly behind schedule, then you have the LFL C&D where he thought he might lose his shirt and had to deal with the lawyers, then his Father passing away, you have the recipe for a very good company/person in a really cr@ppy position of owing people a ton pf product and not having the ability to get it all out in a timely manner....

So you have where we are now, a company that has basically stopped taking new orders so that he can workoff the huge backlog of outstanding orders...Which is exactly what a good - responsible company should do.

As to why did/do we still order from SMT...speaking for myself I have had good dealings with him in the past and trust him not to be a rip off artist.  I can really sympathize with most of what he's gone through in the last year having had similar troubles myself.  In short I trust that he will eventually come through with what he promised because that is the kind of person he is, based on my previous expereinces dealing with him.  I've never met him personally but I have had numerous email "conversations" and purchases from him, and have always been happy with the product - even if it arrived significantly late.

Jedi Dade
[snapback]1135813[/snapback]​
Good Post Jedi Dade. I think this is exactly what the pre-order folks needed to know.
On this same subject,..and yet not...
It's funny..Scott A.(Capt Cardboard) frquently tells me I have a "type 1" personality which means I need information constantly from people I am involved in business with..lol. :p From all these posts,..it seems that I am not the only one..lol. :lol I am told that most masters answer everything in their own good time..so fellow "type 1's" ...now ya know. :D I must admit that it is nice to have someone in the business advise me before I blow my top with worry...So thanks Scott. Your teachings don't go unnoticed and you're a good pal.
Maybe somebody should do a post about having patience on orders of this kind. Then again ,.. I'm certainly not the guy preach that. LOL :D
Bottom Line...I believe SMT will come through in the long run. ;)

Okay, this is NOT a bash on SMT, but the molds had a RESTART DATE OF NOV. 15th?

You mean that he didn't have molds made BEFORE he was supposed to be shipping the kits way back in JUNE?

That doesn't sound like biting off more than you can chew. That sounds like being catastrophically behind schedule... possibly due to technical diffculties with the molds or one's own mold making acumen.

I, like many of you, have a pre-order pending for that shuttle. I, like many of you, had the best of hopes for receiving it shortly after it was promised. Then I, like many of you, had hoped it would arrive before the end of the calendar year. Now I, like many of you, am hoping I just eventually get it.

In this hobby, and in most aspects of life in general, timely honesty goes quite a long way to keeping things under control. Not being above-board with your situation and with your customers serves no purpose. If Colin promised more than he could handle, it was his responsibility to own up to it. Right up until the promised shipping date, the official word out of SMT was that all was well and that things were on schedule. Then it was a couple of weeks delay. Then Colin had a bunch of bad family stuff go down. And then it was completely indefinite as to when the kits would be shipped.

But if everything was fine right up to the actual shipping date, wouldn't that mean that all the molds had been made and all the parts had been cast and were just waiting to be packed and shipped? Isn't that what being "on schedule" means? But now we hear that the molds haven't even been completed? Six months after the whole thing was supposed to be finished?

I'm still super hyped about the model. I'm still looking forward t the time when I can lavish time and attention and model building skills upon it. I have only the best wishes in mind for Colin, SMT, and his family.

All I'm saying is that if there were problems, I would have liked to know instead of just wondering and stewing and getting frustrated.

-Gordon

I just got an email from Gordon that they are shipping.....and that he would send me tracking info. Lets hope.

Steve

Originally posted by JP05@Dec 15 2005, 12:11 AM
I just got an email from Gordon that they are shipping.....and that he would send me tracking info.  Lets hope.

Steve
[snapback]1136038[/snapback]​

From GORDON? Is this another Gordon and not the ME, GORDON that I officially am?

There must be a Gordon associated with the SMT company?

-Gordon

Originally posted by spcglider@aol.com+Dec 15 2005, 01:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spcglider@aol.com @ Dec 15 2005, 01:06 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-JP05
@Dec 15 2005, 12:11 AM
I just got an email from Gordon that they are shipping.....and that he would send me tracking info.  Lets hope.

Steve
[snapback]1136038[/snapback]​

From GORDON? Is this another Gordon and not the ME, GORDON that I officially am?

There must be a Gordon associated with the SMT company?

-Gordon
[snapback]1136080[/snapback]​
[/b]

hehe oops :) Meant Colin. Sorry :rolleyes

Well, color me excited by that news. :eek :D :thumbsup

I have a little tiny print-out of the image on the SMT page of the shuttle parts taped to the top of my computer screen frame. I've been staring at it since I pre-ordered like a lovesick sophomore.

Even if those parts show up with massive mold lines and 60 hours worth of cleanup work attached to them, I will be overjoyed.

-Gordon

Just got an email reply from SMT.

They did confirm that the Shuttles ARE INDEED shipping. They didn't give any sort of timeline nor indication of how they are being distributed (whether ethey are all ready and are being shipped all at once or if they are being shipped as they are completed by date of order or whatever). But they have confirmed that they are shipping.

-Gordon

Latest from SMT about the shuttles:

Dear Customer. First let me start with my apologies and sincere appreciation for your patience up to this point.

We finally have things moving along and can begin to send out basic dates for shipping.

Overall the plan at the moment is slow (unfortunately but I do have to do other things including revamping the SMT line up). Jan/ Feb will see about 5 kits leave each week, with March /April hopefully bringing in the last of the kits to ship. If by some miracle I can do it quicker I promise I will.

Also if you need it before a certain date let me know and I will try to accommodate you with reason (and without too much changes to other folks getting their kit in a timely manner). I will have a more detailed outline of shipping dates along in about a week for the next few to be relieved of their stress.

I have revamped a lot of the operations here at SMT. This included upgrades to our computer system for emails and order entry.

So hopefully we are now better set to meet the demands of our customers. 2005 was a rough year and I am looking forward to 2006 as the year SMT finally fixes it issues.

I understand your frustrations but I would rather send out a kit that meets expectations than something thrown in a box.

As we ship we are trying to complete as many as we can for Dec, though that handful is mostly done and will be out for delivery over the next week or so.

As a bonus for your loyalty we will be offering an incentive in Â’06 on a few of our new kits that will allow you first chance to purchase before general release at a substantial discount. New larger kits are planned (including the much asked about new BSG series) along with some classics.

Star Trek will also make an appearance in our first new Star Trek in some years. (Think 1:350 Reliant)

So there you have it... somewhat. Looks like a slow trickle all the way into the new year.

But at least they are coming. Good on ya, Colin.

-Gordon

I got this too. April? Is he serious?? I dont care about revamping the SMT lineup...I care about getting my shuttle that was supposed to be shipped in June. I am really not too thrilled about this email. Rather upset/dissapointed. I am worried that April will turn into June and June will turn into October and so on. I need my faith restored here.

Originally posted by spcglider@aol.com@Dec 21 2005, 02:56 PM
Latest from SMT about the shuttles:

Dear Customer. First let me start with my apologies and sincere appreciation for your patience up to this point.

We finally have things moving along and can begin to send out basic dates for shipping.

Overall the plan at the moment is slow (unfortunately but I do have to do other things including revamping the SMT line up). Jan/ Feb will see about 5 kits leave each week, with March /April hopefully bringing in the last of the kits to ship. If by some miracle I can do it quicker I promise I will.

Also if you need it before a certain date let me know and I will try to accommodate you with reason (and without too much changes to other folks getting their kit in a timely manner). I will have a more detailed outline of shipping dates along in about a week for the next few to be relieved of their stress.

I have revamped a lot of the operations here at SMT. This included upgrades to our computer system for emails and order entry.

So hopefully we are now better set to meet the demands of our customers. 2005 was a rough year and I am looking forward to 2006 as the year SMT finally fixes it issues.

I understand your frustrations but I would rather send out a kit that meets expectations than something thrown in a box.

As we ship we are trying to complete as many as we can for Dec, though that handful is mostly done and will be out for delivery over the next week or so.

As a bonus for your loyalty we will be offering an incentive in Â’06 on a few of our new kits that will allow you first chance to purchase before general release at a substantial discount. New larger kits are planned (including the much asked about new BSG series) along with some classics.

Star Trek will also make an appearance in our first new Star Trek in some years. (Think 1:350 Reliant)

So there you have it... somewhat. Looks like a slow trickle all the way into the new year.

But at least they are coming. Good on ya, Colin.

-Gordon
[snapback]1140713[/snapback]​

I'm guessing that nothing short of having it show up at your doorstep would have been enough... You're not wrong for thinking that way, I'm just observing that in the light of a glimpse of what is positive news your post was still negative. I agree that things all the way down the line "should have been better". The fact is they are not. It is an encouraging sign that a positive message about product shipping out of SMT and a definite plan to clear the backlog has been made - disseminated - and apparently implemented. That's all good news for us waiting for SMT products...including the shuttle. Am I happy that its going to show up almost a year late - No. But I am encouraged that SMT is getting its Sh.t together and attempting to move forward.

As to when the molds were supposed to be ready etc... I don't have a photographic memory or anything but I seem to remember that too - but the issues with his family etc started to take place before that, and I'm betting he fell behind a good deal before June... He just didn't update the customers which is unfortunate, but understandable considering he just had his priorities readjusted for him with the emminent death of his Father. Am I making excuses for him ... Yes I am. But just so you know where I am coming from - Last Christmas my Father was diagnosed with Leukemia (literally the day after Christmas), and after 5 months of he11 he finally gave in and passed. I really get the concept of having your priorities readjusted and having other areas of your life suffer from lack of attention because of it. I give him credit for not throwing in the towel - it would have been easy to do I'm sure. Instead he is attempting to make it as right as he can by at least coming through on his outstanding orders (still to be proven I know). I could be wrong but it might be difficult to grasp just how much that stuff changes your life... I thought I got it until it happened to me and now I know that I really had no clue.

Take heart that shippments are leaving SMT and things look like they are on the way to being back on track. If after reading this you're still of the opinion that "other people's real life issues are not your problem I want my d@mn model" - you're entitled to your opinion but I think you're missing the bigger picture.

Peace,
Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back