John Lazon

Hey! I'm making some giant RAMBO knives out of poplar, and am looking for some advice on achieving a nice smooth metallic effect. I think the surfaces are too big to get an even finish with spray paint, and I don't have a paint gun. I've been using DecoArt americana silver, but brush strokes are visible... Thanks!

You're probably gonna have to cover the wood in a lacquer after sanding/smoothing it out as much as you can, and then paint over that with your metal paint. If you really want a quick and dirty alternative: foil tape.

Sand it as smooth as you can, then use filler primer. Then the paint of your choice, ideally through airbrushing but if not, spray cans are usually the next best option. Brush strikes show up 95% of the time when you apply a metallic color.

As with the above suggestions, it is imperative that you seal the wood with several coats of lacquer, or epoxy sanding between each coat to ensure no woodgrain is visible. Wood will dry out even further with time, and the drying can cause the grain to be more prevalent, if not sealed properly. Do it right and the knife finish will last for decades.

TazMan2000

You're probably gonna have to cover the wood in a lacquer after sanding/smoothing it out as much as you can, and then paint over that with your metal paint. If you really want a quick and dirty alternative: foil tape.
I primed and sanded it nice and smooth, i think part of the problem is the paint is heavy body but takes several coats to get opaque... The foil is definitely an interesting idea but there are beveled edges so not sure if that would work. Might look into that though

I'd be tempted to use a gloss (or satin depending on the final finish you want) black automtive paint over the primer as a basecoat. Then lightly wet sand and polish that basecoat ubntil it's as smooth and shiny as you can get it. Finally, airbrush a metallic laquer like the Alclad II range over the surface un5il you have the finish you want - it goes a very long way so size shouldn't be an issue.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back