Smoke's Predator Build WIP -Done. I think.

SMOKE

Hello all, I started this build alittle after halloween and I'm comfortable enough with my progress to share with my family here on the RPF. I have a WIP thread over on TheHuntersLair.com with a bit more detail that what's in this thread.

Let me get everyone caught up.. First I read threads and Huntorials till my eyes bled glowing green blood.

Then made a latex predator body suit out of a mr. incredible halloween costume, some cotton(predator muscle stucture), seed beads(warts) and a gallon of liquid latex. Thanks to macguyver's Huntorial over on the lair. Here's the link on how to do one yourself. You can use this method for all sorts of costumes, very useful thread.

MacGuyver's Mr. Incredible Suit Huntorial *LOTS OF PICS!* - The Hunter's Lair

Here's a picture of my finished, airbrush painted, latex predator skin. I used and airbrush and acrylic paint mixed with pros-aide (aka PAX).first time airbrushing anything, be nice:).

Front with body netting
IMG_0281.jpg

back with out body netting
IMG_20111209_104053-1-1.jpg

Close up of the thigh after the Perma Wet was sprayed.
IMG_20111209_011015-1-1.jpg

After that I used Lair member Vinman's AVP templates to cut the armor out of sintra. Here's a link to his Huntorial. AVP Armor Templates By VinMan - The Hunter's Lair

Here's the Cut and shaped Sintra ready for assembly.

IMG_20111211_211142-1-1.jpg

Here's a shot of the Bio I made, I'll most likely be changing it so that it matches the armor better.

IMG_0174-1.jpg

My P1 mask from Termokk (member here on the rpf and The lair) should be here tomorrow and I'll start the paint up on that with in the next couple days. I'm ordering my dreads from Termokk on monday. Can't wait to get em! Now on to assembling and fine tuning the armor and rest of the "clothes" for my predator.

I still have a ways to go on this build. I still need to make the blade gauntlet, the Computer gauntlet, feet and hands and other various weapons and trophies.

Thanks for looking! Questions or comments are always welcome and motivating.:)

-Smoke (Lair member QuakeVirus)

Last edited:
Re: Smoke's Predator Build WIP

Great work dude! i plan on doing one of these once i have some extra cash AND my two Iron man builds (which have been shelved for the last 2 years) are done.

GREAT work!! will you be complementing the armor with some 'predator standard weapons'?

Great work dude! i plan on doing one of these once i have some extra cash AND my two Iron man builds (which have been shelved for the last 2 years) are done.

Thanks bro! Hurry up and finish those IM suits! We need more Predators out there hunting!

GREAT work!! will you be complementing the armor with some 'predator standard weapons'?

Thanks! I'm definitely going to have the ceremonial dagger (sculpting the handle out of Apoxy Sculpt and I made the blade already out of sintra)and of course the blade and bomb gauntlets. I have a few Trip Mines made already and I'll most likely make atleast one 'none standard' weapon, like a custom spear or something. Not sure if I want the whole plasma cannon and backpack too tho. Still kinda deciding on that one. I might add one antique looking human weapon(like the pistol in the end of Predator 2).

Thanks for looking and commenting guys!

Here's a pic of the Trip Mines I made.

IMG_20111120_150124-1.jpg

awesome stuff man.
Thanks bud! It's coming along, Nice work on your RoboCop man. Cant wait to see it finished!!

Last edited:

very nice work on the armor! I know how time consuming it can be. Look forward to seeing more progress

Thanks for posting this over here as well Smoke! This is going to be a great suit. I'm ordering my Mr I suit on Fridy.

VinMan, your'e in KY ? I'm an hour and a half SE of you in Danville! I hope to have my P1 done for Wonderfest next May.

very nice work on the armor! I know how time consuming it can be. Look forward to seeing more progress

Thanks man! I'm trying to do your awsome templates some justice. Thanks again for making the AVP templates:thumbsup, they are great and yes a bit time consuming but the results are awesome!.:)

Thanks for posting this over here as well Smoke! This is going to be a great suit. I'm ordering my Mr I suit on Fridy.

Can't wait to see the build!! If you have any questions that aren't covered in Macguyvers Thread feel free to pick my brain.:)

Update: Today my Termokk 3.0 Mask came it today and it is glorious!!! Thanks again Corey. Dreads have been oredered as well. Can't wait to paint it up in a few days.

Finally a face to the beast! Just need to attach the mandibles and start the paint up.

IMG_20111212_194937-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!:)

Re: Smoke's Predator Build WIP - Finally a face for a Hunter

I'm so glad your going with Termokks 3.0 mask. It looks great plus it's not as expensive as some others. Plus it has the closed mouth. I've never been a fan of open mouth Predator masks. This is also the mask I want to use. Did you get yours foam filled or are you doing it yourself? I'll order mine without as it saves a few dollars.

I'm so glad your going with Termokks 3.0 mask. It looks great plus it's not as expensive as some others. Plus it has the closed mouth. I've never been a fan of open mouth Predator masks. This is also the mask I want to use. Did you get yours foam filled or are you doing it yourself? I'll order mine without as it saves a few dollars.

I love this mask! Corey did a excellent job on it. I wanted the closed mouth so it would fit better under the bio(which I have to modify or redo cause its a bit too small:unsure) I got it filled and it's well worth the extra cash. Corey did a great job. I felt bad having to put a small slit in the bottom of the back of the neck but I had to to get it over my huge head.:lol

Here's an update for the RPF crew.

I started assembling some of the armor. this shot is of the shoulder area. I used a about 6 pop rivets and some canvas strapping to hold the pec plates and the main body together.

IMG_20111213_005000-1.jpg

Glue drying..

IMG_20111213_023036-1.jpg

Mock up after pop riveting and gluing.

IMG_20111213_121215-1.jpg

This a sheet of Predator Runes I made out of Cut Vinyl. I used the photo that PredatrHuntr (Lair Member) posted in the other forum. I converted them to vector and sent them to the cutter. I have a couple more sheets laying around. Probably going to stick them on my truck too.
IMG_20111213_183108-1.jpg

I stuck a few of the glyphs on the armor, so that when I paint over it they will be slightly raised pred glyphs strategically placed on the armor. Still some more minor bondo work to do around the pec edges.

IMG_20111213_183056-1.jpg

Doing the Mask Paint up tonight! :)

I really Love your work so far. I've wanted to make my own pred for the last twenty years and even tried as a teenager but after looking over the complex builds on the lair I have always seen this as unattainable. Now thanks to you I might just try this out!

I really Love your work so far. I've wanted to make my own pred for the last twenty years and even tried as a teenager but after looking over the complex builds on the lair I have always seen this as unattainable. Now thanks to you I might just try this out!

Thanks for the kind words! I've wanted one for about the same amount of time. My skills has finally caught up to my dreams.:) Anything is obtainable. Can't wait to see the build! :thumbsup

Here's the paint up, a few minor touch ups needed. Mainly around the teeth area, I think.... what do ya'll think? Pass or Fail?

Already fixed those tho pesky quill holes I missed.
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Matches the body pretty good.
IMG_0323.jpg

Great stuff!

I helped a friend on the Lair use those same patterns. Sintra is a nic3e material to work with. I'm Mardikrewe on the Lair as well.

Thanks man! I can't wait to finish the journey. I love the stuff (sintra). Easy to work with and easy on the wallet.

Thanks for checking it out! See you on the lair!

nice job!!! predator is my next big costume attempt. also using vinman's template. hitting the gym HARD though. might opt for having body paint airbrushed as opposed to doing a suit. looking forward to seeing how your armor painting turns out.

Looks great! What did you use to attach the quils with?

nice job!!! predator is my next big costume attempt. also using vinman's template. hitting the gym HARD though. might opt for having body paint airbrushed as opposed to doing a suit. looking forward to seeing how your armor painting turns out.

Thanks! I was gonna hit the gym but with my metabolism and genetics, I would have to juice up hardcore.:lol

Looks great! What did you use to attach the quils with?

Thanks again man. I just used the tiniest drop of super glue gel. Just enough to stick but not so much it over flowed the quill sockets. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but it worked for me. I had a hard time finding an answer for myself.

Update:

Here's what I got going on...I primed added the vinyl glyphs, sanded everything with 220 grit and started assembling the chest armor.

The center piece is attached to a 3 inch strip of elastic that is doubled up, with pop rivets. Then I added button snaps to each side of the chest part. Makes it easy to get on I just need to get some leather straps for the back and Bicept plates.
IMG_20111215_164702-1.jpg

Glyphs on the Bells and bicept armor
IMG_20111215_164817-1.jpg

IMG_20111215_164840-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

that is so good.

and it feels good too.:lol

Update:

I added the rest of the decals to ALL of the plates and sanded everything down with 220, even the decals( so the paint will stick to them). Looks like I should have a good range of motion with the armor. Just need to finish the shin guards and make the guantlets. Oh yeah I gotta redo the bio, the one I originally made was too small. Its ok I'll fix it.

Here's some pics of the mock up.

Thigh Plate
IMG_0336.jpg

Cod peice and the start of the ab and back track.
IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Shoulder bells
IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Ab Track
IMG_0349.jpg

Thanks for commenting and looking! :)

That is looking really great man. Nice to see a Predator build going full steam.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back