Smart disc mechanical/electrical.

WhiskeyBeard

Hey folks,

I am equiping the Traveller with a Smart Disc, thigh mounted.

Would like to find out dimensions on the screen used prop or replica.
To be scratch built from Sintra with opening mechanism, lights, and sound.
Lights and sound hardware/software no problem, but I am a bit of a troglodyte in the electrical engineering department.
Need tech advise on not just the wiring but the mechanical physics that would "turn it on" when the disc seperates by pulling it open i.e. In Predator 2 .

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:
My disc is 9.5" diameter, and around 3/4" thick. It's cast from an Icons one, and is pretty close to the size of the screen used one. It fits my hand fairly comfortably as it's closed, but there's no way I'd be able to open it one handed, and I don't have tiny hands. Can't help you on the electronics though!

Hey thanks Hez,

This is something you make correct?
As far as the electronics, I was curious as to whether anyone had a wiring diagram or had success in producing a working disc. (I mean the little wheels and gears and such.)
It's hard to explain what I am asking. I'll have to draw out a diagram of what I am describing; I might answer my own question that way. I'm just not familiar with the vocabulary for this stuff. :D

Dude, nice Trooper buckets BTW, I would def love a 501st and/or a standard clone down the road.

Thanks again.

I have a mold for the disc, yes, but it's in storage. Need to dig it out.

On the trooper buckets, thanks. Working on a 501st one right now. :D

Hey, thanks Daren

I actually have seen Don's page before and completely forgot about it so hell yeah. Thanks for reminding me. :D

That one is def nice and DIY, too bad there is a whole section of the project missing for lack of a camera. If nothing else, that one isnt too bad on pricing and I could use it for reference or display. The one from Hollywood Collectibles is nice as well, has the light up function - but a little expensive.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Glad that helped.Yea that hollywood collectables one is really cool.It is really cool how they have it light up upon opening.Must have some sort of micro switch in there.As for the lights them selves,probably just using leds,but getting them into the disc without messing it up would be the tricky part.Would be cool if the hollywood disc was avaliable just as a seperate disc,cause the whole hand thing just looks to weird.If you do it go through with the light idea it would be cool to do a tutorial.

Good Luck,Daren

Yeah,
I will def try to incorporate the light and sound and I will take anyone that is interested on the ride with me.
Time to get mad scientist...

Micro switch?
That is what I am trying to figure out - the physical opening/movement that triggers the power up (lights and sound sequence). One component sliding past the other flipping a switch or connecting a circuit when it opens all the way.

I bought this holster from Detale78, very nice piece, but my Icon-disc does not fit in.

ICON__s.jpg

kakluopsda__39_.jpg

Thanks Okami,

That's cool, I'll make sure the disc and the holster get integrated into the thigh armor at the same time.
Man, I'm gonna need a lot of rare earth magnets. I was thinking of dual discs, like a gunslinger.

Mike

Now that would be pretty kick ass,having dual smart disc.Then you could take out multiple targets at once.They should make an AVP game where you can earn points and buy additional weapons,like in the star wars games,o.k getting of on a tangent here.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back