Smallville Season 5 Finale prop

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Smallvillekalel, May 11, 2006.

1. Smallvillekalel

Smallvillekalel Active Member

Spolier pics below:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone was interested in making the Kryptonian knife from the season Finale of Smallville.

The handle looks like it has 6 sides to it. Here are a few screen caps hopefully someone can post some caps in HD, anyway here is what I got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

That was a pretty * cool knife (not to mention a great episode) and I'd like to see one made.

Might be my first Smallville prop...if it ever happens

-Fred

3. FXhound

FXhound New Member

I might Try making this knife. There probably be a rush to make by many. Thanks for posting pics. Would anyone expect it light up or just be pretty?
    I wait to see what everyone says.
    FXHound

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ May 12 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]1243053[/snapback]</div>

4. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

One of the most beautifull Superman props of resent times. I'd be very interested. This replica should be placed in a light-up base, instead of adding bulbs to the handle.

5. Annie

Annie New Member

I would actually be a lot more interested in the bracelet thingy Lex used to suck Clark into the PZ.

6. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

(awake finally)

the bracelet looked to be the same shape/size as the one in the season opener, similiar glyphs as well.

the knife... im half impressed by it, and half wincing at it. it looks interesting, but i wish they would have went with a more "crystal" blade look to it, rather than the metal. in the show it looked almost plastic (dull grey, similiar to when clarks crazy ex gf tried to knife lana).

the blade is wide enough to support an LED in the base of it though. where the blade meets the handle. that area is big enough for an LED and a cell battery easily.

ill snag some high def screen caps later today and see what i can add to the thread. ill see if i can dig up my hd dvd of the season opener, and get some of that bracelet as well.

chris

7. hydin

ask and yee shall receive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seems to grow new glyphs here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and more of the bracelet from the last show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*, thats a lotta caps ;)

hope these help someone out when they plan to make this stuff. hope i get a discount for the caps as well :lol

enjoy.
    chris

8. Kal-ElofKrypton

Kal-ElofKrypton Well-Known Member

Great screen caps you guys. Every since the premiere I think the braclet should be made but the dagger will be another story if anyone wants to attemp it. Just so you know I'd be interested in both

9. Smallvillekalel

Smallvillekalel Active Member

Couldn't the Bracelet be machined?

10. Kal-ElofKrypton

Maybe, Its a though. Im not an expert but it sounds like a good idea

11. hydin

anyone wonder why it says RTDMSE? thats what the kryptonian font translates to. (at best guess)

i agree the bracelet could be machined. id imagine the guy who did the constantine knucks could made a pretty nifty one. machina artium? or something to that effect. never was good with names :$

im kinda equal on wanting the bracelet or the knife. the knife has cool light up crystal action, and the bracelet has... neat graphics on it. they both are horribly tacky, but only one looks like a lethal ring pop :lol

if these do get made, id probably be in for one.

chris

12. Annie

Annie New Member

Great caps hydin, thank you. I would probably go for the bracelet first, and then the knife. I will have to keep a close eye on the forum now and see if anyone comes up with anything. I think the knife would have looked better with a crystal blade and a metal hilt, it seemed a bit off to me.

13. Kal-ElofKrypton

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ May 13 2006, 01:23 AM) [snapback]1243535[/snapback]</div>
    Its the Smallville prop developers. They put whatever looks appealing. Remember barcode on the key or made in Thaiwan in clarks ship?

14. hydin

i always looked at it as easter eggs for the show, kinda.

i just cant figure out what those letters could mean. i thought it might have been something like "Ne-Man" or whatever that guys name was, or even something knife related, not just a bunch of random letters.

ah well :)

chris

15. Kal-ElofKrypton

Never thought of the easter eggs idea. If only they would do that.

16. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

maybe in this case they aren't letters, I mean is it a letter for letter alphabet?

The Jor-El symbol is in the center so it might not be S or whatever...

17. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Primrodo @ May 13 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]1243871[/snapback]</div>
    It's a letter for letter alphabet. The \8/ symbol (which looks suspiciously like the S-Shield) is the Kryptonian S.

18. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

Some symbols are probably both, words and letters. The reason I think this is that quite a few times there have been messages that have been too long and complex for the few symbols used to be letters alone. Also look at the episode where Clark burned the "Hope" symbol on the side of the barn.

But, it's probably unlikely that there's any "continuity" within the show. As was said before, they probably just use whatever looks good to them. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

19. tripoli

tripoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My understanding is that they were just goofing around a bit at the beginning with the key not thinking it would become as integral of a prop as used. On later props there were/are space issues so they tried to integrate several letters into one to make words and hold some (cough) continuity to the Kyrptonian alphabet. That letters can be combined to make kryptonian spelled words. There are also some changes to the scripts that quickly affect what a planned prop that was going to be used changed to what was quickly made up to use on screen. Thats the story as I have heard it.

20. FXhound

FXhound New Member

hi, great screen caps hydin. I will probably go ahead and make it , if no one is interested,
    at least for myself. those pics are great though and much appreciated.
    fxhound

<div class='quotetop'>(Kal-ElofKrypton @ May 13 2006, 04:52 AM) [snapback]1243508[/snapback]</div>

21. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(DuneMuadDib @ May 14 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]1243935[/snapback]</div>
    So why did clark have simply an S burned in his chest and why did Jor-Els pendant have an S?

Personally I think there is more than just letters involved. Specifically I think th S symbol in the knife represents the house of EL.

22. Annie

Annie New Member

FXhound, are you talking about making the knife or the bracelet? :)

23. FXhound

FXhound New Member

Hi Annie, I was speaking of the knife. I doubt anyone here will except the bracelet in resin----people here will demand a machine piece.
    Fxhound

<div class='quotetop'>(Annie @ May 14 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]1244105[/snapback]</div>

24. FXhound

FXhound New Member

I reviewed the pics of the knife posted and have a question. Pic 13 thru 17 of the knife seems to show that there is detail other than a smooth blade. It may be shadows or a mistake in switching props , or a change of mind on how it show appear. I noticed it dissappears in pic 18,,,So is there detail or an obtacle illusion?

Also, To me it appears the Glyphs are on one side only? Yes or No?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
    FXHound

<div class='quotetop'>(FXhound @ May 15 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]1244298[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

25. hydin

id mark it under weird light/cgi. the blade is shown the same throughout the entire show.

if ya really need time, i can edit that particular part out, take out the sound, and host the video file. dunno how huge it would be though, no promises on how fast either. i didnt fiddle with the pics brightness or color. straight screencap from a unedited video.

chris

26. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Primrodo @ May 14 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]1244090[/snapback]</div>
    Because it LOOKS like the \S/ Superman wears. When DC made up the alphabet they purposely made the "S" look like the shield, and now Smallville is playing that up.

Why does the key have "barcode" on it? Because they're * around in the prop department.

For reference, here is the alphabet DC put out that Smallville uses. Smallville has thus far used it properly, in addition to making up symbols that fit in.
    [​IMG]

27. FXhound

FXhound New Member

Thankyou but I agree it is weird lighting. I only questioned it because it is hard to see if they ever show the other side of the knife. So I was thinking it may be the opposite side that had some differences.
    FXhound

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ May 15 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1244697[/snapback]</div>

28. anthrax79

anthrax79 New Member

On the knife,

I think it should have lights. Both one for the blade glyphs and a bright red led for the crystal handle. Micro toggles in the handle base could be used to turn the on/off.

29. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(DuneMuadDib @ May 15 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]1244699[/snapback]</div>
    I thought it was a fact the 8 was the symbol for EL specifically Jor-EL, hense teh necklace and burned symbol...aside from it looking like the sheild.

Stand to reason then teh knife has teh symbol for EL not S....

30. hydin

its the symbol for the house of El as well as being the letter S.

same way its on the key as "el" but also "s".

normally (well, sometimes) theres a "hidden message" they spell out with the glyphs on the artifacts, but this time around..... no idea.

i think the figure 8 symbol means air as well as something else.

its kinda complicated :lol

chris

31. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Drawing too much from Brandon's input that the \S/ should be the El family crest in the film? In Birthright continuity the \S/ is a Kryptonian symbol for hope, and was worn Jor-El and Lara at the time Krypton exploded, but it wasn't the "house symbol."

Until it's identified as such on screen I'm sticking to the theory that "it looks like the shield so they keep using it."

32. FXhound

FXhound New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(anthrax79 @ May 16 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]1245095[/snapback]</div>

I agree.

33. Kal-ElofKrypton

<div class='quotetop'>(anthrax79 @ May 16 2006, 09:11 AM) [snapback]1245095[/snapback]</div>
    You stole the words out of my mouth. Thats how it should be.

34. PtByNmbrs

PtByNmbrs New Member

Well after I swore I was never going to make another prop again... I just thought the dagger was way to cool not to do, plus it was pretty simple to make.

[​IMG]

35. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

SaaaaWeeeet.

You gonna make these available or just tease us with your talent?

Either way, great work..

Steve

36. hydin

nifty.

scuff up that crystal a bit and its a dead ringer for the show.

have you given thought to a vacformed blade with a clear plastic inner lining? a yellow LED with a barrier under it (to keep the light from coming out) would let the letters shine pretty well. an xacto knife would cut em out fairly easily.

very nice work.
    chris

37. Cptnchaos

Cptnchaos Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PtByNmbrs @ May 25 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]1250614[/snapback]</div>

THAT was "easy" to make??

Wow. Its awesome great job..

Damian

38. Batmobile Broker

Batmobile Broker New Member

That is killer ....I want one :D

39. FrankieLove

FrankieLove New Member

That dagger is awesome. I want one :)

40. thatguyno1

thatguyno1 New Member

Great job on the knife.

Paul ô¿ô

41. Gregg0062

Gregg0062 New Member

Did anyone ever make one of these available? I am really interested please let me know if anyone has one that they wouldn't mind parting with.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  42. lord_marek

lord_marek New Member

that dagger came out great.

43. starfighter66

starfighter66 Well-Known Member

It might not look too pretty but it is the mold for the base of the dagger, just waiting on some more resin material and the time to make. There is a second mold that is the crystal dagger piece.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  44. Nicky

Nicky Well-Known Member

45. ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy Sr Member

I would be interested in one.

46. starfighter66

As soon as I purchase more resin I will be making a few and offering them here on the RPF. how many people are interested? Let me know so I can order the correct amount of resin material.

47. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Interested

48. starfighter66

I have been told by a member in the RPF I cannot make and sell a smallville replica dagger since he holds the Smallville license for it even though he does not not make or have one for sale, I believe though I can make a kryptonian dagger though, I will ask the member in question about this and The member in question is more than welcome to make a bid for the molds.

49. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

You weren't planning on mass producing, opening a shop and selling them online were you? My impression was that you were making a few available to a small group of kindred spirits around here.

And here I thought making replicas was kind of what we do around here...guess the phaser/lightsaber/helmet/crystal/blaster/proton pack/HiC markets are gonna dry up pretty quick...

That kind of "I've gone legit and I'm taking you all with me" attitude will just force people to post a show-off threads and let any transactions be forced even further into the shadowy realm of the PMs.

Steve

50. starfighter66

I have been told ALL SMALLVILLE props are verboten, cant do it, or else. BUY licensed items or else. no fun here.