Smaller, screen used model of the Rebel Blockade Runner

When I worked for Grant at Apogee in the mid-to-late '80's, he at one point asked me to clean up that model. It was covered with cigarette smoke residue (many at Apogee were heavy smokers back then). It was machined out of aluminum, as the quartz lights in the engines were so hot, and jammed in such a small space, anything else would have melted (the aluminum body acted as a heat sink.) As I recall the miniature, however, it had very little detail and was mostly paint (which made the clean up process rather easy). I am not sure that the image in that article is of the actual item, though my memory could be faulty. Unfortunately, I don't think I ever got any pictures of it during that time, though I have seen BTS photos of the model in various publications over the years.

It's got some Bandai 1/48th armor parts on it, so it wasn't hot enough to melt the plastic at least!

What doesn't make sense is that on the blue ray extras someone even mentioned that the larger rebel blockade runner was larger than the 3 foot star destroyer that was used in that scene, so where was the smaller one used ?

Likely at the very beginning when the ships are moving away from camera, the blockade runner is very small in that shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What doesn't make sense is that on the blue ray extras someone even mentioned that the larger rebel blockade runner was larger than the 3 foot star destroyer that was used in that scene, so where was the smaller one used ?

I was confused too as I was always under the impression that only the big one was on screen. You learn something new everyday they say. :)

Ben

It was done that way because the RBR was originally intended to be the Millenium Falcon, the "hero" ship (quotes added to indicate a primary miniature as opposed to the character indicated by the script.) Hero models were typically larger in size and more detailed, as they would have more screen time. After the decision was made to make a change, it was sensible to use this miniature for another ship which pretty much meant it was to become what we know it as today.

The large one is only in two shots: coming at the camera with the SD in the background, and the shot where it is hit. All the rest are the small one.

The large one is only in two shots: coming at the camera with the SD in the background, and the shot where it is hit. All the rest are the small one.

Thats great info and is now embedded in my brain so I don't see just the big one on-screen. I'll go and watch my bluray with new eyes. ;)

Ben

Cool! I would so much want a new coffee table book with all the models from OT. Sculpting the galaxy is nice but covers way too few models and the chronicles is a bit old and lacks all those nerdy facts Rinzler has been so good at digging up.

I think the larger one was in three shots. The two you mentioned, and the shot where the Blockade Runner is tractor beamed into the Star Destroyer hanger bay.

Look at the differences between escape pod rings on what is supposedly the 18" model:
Blockade-Runner-850x560 (1).jpg

And what is seen on screen:
TantiveIVcapture-hd.jpg

Either that photo of the 18" model isn't the model used in the film (or the model has been changed since that film's shot was made) or it's two different models; because those escape pod rings have completely different profile shapes.

Last edited:
Could someone take an extensive photo survey of it ? 360 deg photos survey with sides, front, rear, top and bottom (if possible, depends on the way it's displayed) views and close up pics as well ? This is a unique chance to get this one documented ! Thanks in advance :)

The smaller one was used for the opening shot only. The larger one worked on all the other shots. The big tell is the fact that the smaller one has absolutely no detail on the front of the nose. Just the model mount and a couple of recessed screws holding the nose in place.

Gene

Wasn't there a third model that was small enough to fit inside the hangar of the 4-foot Imperial Cruiser miniature? (While the term "Star Destroyer" is in the script, I don't recall it ever being used in the first film.)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back