Slayer Scythe arrived!!!!!

allosaur176

Sr Member
I just got this thing in the mail today.... I am very much pleased that this has finally been released... This one is nearly perfect to me with the exception of a small blemish on the chrome part of the blade, which kinda looks like a small scratch...

I do however need to take a cloth to it as there are some finger prints on it where it was handled before it was shipped... I took these quick pics tonight, but will take much better ones tommorow... The pics don't do it justice, and you can't make out the true color of the red... I will take some outdoor pics to get a better sense of the colors

scy2.jpg

scy1.jpg

scy.jpg

s3.jpg

s2.jpg

s1.jpg

s.jpg

Fantastic man. Such a great piece for the price. I guess I should expect mine any day now since we picked ours up at the same place. Once I get mine I'll post some pictures of mine here as well

Kewl looking. What's it from? And how long is it? Looks to be about 3 feet, judging from the kitchen tiles...

Is the red area part of the blade, or is it a different material, and is the blade metal, or plated resin?

- Gabe

It's from the last season of Buffy. Looks really nice. The leather part seems to bug me but that might just be the pics. Can you take a couple closer shots of that area?

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 8 2006, 01:20 AM
Kewl looking. What's it from?  And how long is it?  Looks to be about 3 feet, judging from the kitchen tiles...

Is the red area part of the blade, or is it a different material, and is the blade metal, or plated resin?

- Gabe
[snapback]1201222[/snapback]​

Yes, as TFrosst has stated, it is shown in the last season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.....

It is exactly 3 feet long...

The red and chrome parts are made of metal, with the red part raised just a touch higher than the chrome part of the blade

I feel that the leather grip is bound perfectly, without any of the glue reaching onto the chrome bar above it as some had rumor to happen... Also, the stake part is pretty sharp and well carved, laying flush against the butt of the spire....

I was able to find a couple of other minor flaws, other than the scratch on one side of the chrome,there is slight chipping of the red paint where it meets the chrome in a couple of area's on the blade... What I thought was chipping of the chrome itself on 3 parts of the blade, wound up to be left over glue residue, which came off rather easily...

All in all, this piece was definetely worth the wait since it was showcased on the series :D

Dam i missed most of the last season of buffy if i knew she had a cool weapon like this i would of watched it,

Awesome piece Allosaur, where could one aquire this scythe ?

Originally posted by SPDOmegaRanger@Mar 8 2006, 12:03 PM
Dam i missed most of the last season of buffy if i knew she had a cool weapon like this i would of watched it,

Awesome piece Allosaur, where could one aquire this scythe ?
[snapback]1201433[/snapback]​

Yes, the scythe was a primary prop in the last few episodes.... The Scythe is produced by Factory X, you can find them on Ebay and most retailers.. Thanks for the comments

Rob

Being a huge fan of Joss's Fray, the future slayer, I was thrilled when the "scythe" appeared in the final season episodes.
Fray0003.jpg

The reason that I put scythe in quotes is due to the debate over if it is truly a scythe or an axe. When many hear the word scythe they picture the reaping instrument of the Grim Reaper.
scythe.jpg

Many feel that Buffy's weapon should be called an axe. My personal opinion is that I really do not care but if I had to choose it would be an axe. Now with that out of the way, how does it feel? Early reports said that it was made out of a brittle light metal. I do not plan on chopping anything but air with it but wouldn't want it crumbling if I bumped it. From the pics it looks almost dead on to the actual one.
BuffyAxe1.jpg

The one difference I see is the stake at the end. The one on the replica looks totally new. Look at the below pic of a screen used and you can tell the difference.
BuffyAxe5.jpg

This is a relief. After they redesigned Buffy's sword from season 2, I was worried that they would take artistic freedom in designing the "scythe". I understand that the sword was kinda ho hum looking, but I was looking for something closer to what was used on screen. :thumbsdown
Buffy's sword Factory X replica, from season 2 Becoming 1&2

After your review I will be looking towards picking one of these up. :thumbsup

Greg

Greg, from what I understand the reason the sword was changed so drastically is that the actual screen used prop is in fact a real model sword so they couldn't recreate the sword accurately without infringing on the original copyrighted sword. So, rather than just not make the sword they decided to give it an "artistic revamp" and make a few bucks off the people who wouldn't know the difference or don't care.

As for the reason the scythe/axe/slayer holy hand grenade is so accurate is due to them using Joss' personal screen used hero prop for reference. There are minor details left out but they are hardly noticeable (someone had to point them out to me) but for the price it is amazing. They even used ostrich skin pleather to recreate the accurate ostrich skin grip used on the actual prop.

Originally posted by Gman666@Mar 8 2006, 08:38 PM

Many feel that Buffy's weapon should be called an axe.  My personal opinion is that I really do not care but if I had to choose it would be an axe.  Now with that out of the way, how does it feel?  Early reports said that it was made out of a brittle light metal.  I do not plan on chopping anything but air with it but wouldn't want it crumbling if I bumped it.  From the pics it looks almost dead on to the actual one. 

Greg
[snapback]1201832[/snapback]​

I agree that it looks more like an axe, but calling it the "Slayer's Axe" doesn't have the same poetic sound to it :)

I think it feels exactly how I expected it to feel, pretty heavy, but not too the point where it would be hard to swing around, so I wouldnt worry about it crumbling unless you took a heafty swing at a brick wall... I think you'll quite enjoy it...

The stake is pretty solid, and pointy enough to "dust" someone :) It it all put together well, very solid

Yeah, I think it is a great looking piece. It does appear they beefed up the head a little but I think it is a pretty nice replica. It is way above the sword and the Angel "Smile Time" puppets. Man those things are pathetic even though I am picking up one the vamp ones. I am glad to hear that it is a solid piece. Now if they would just make Mr. Pointy. I would buy that up in a second.

Greg

Originally posted by Plo Koon+Mar 8 2006, 09:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Plo Koon @ Mar 8 2006, 09:52 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-allosaur176
@Mar 8 2006, 05:08 PM
hey Steven, did you get yours yet??

Not yet...sadly :cry I just keep looking at pictures of it online lol
[snapback]1201888[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well, you ordered yours the day after I did, correct??? I have a feeling it will arrive tommorow :)

damn i wish i had the money for that...it looks like a great replica of possibly my favorite prop ever (i love that red soooo much)....maybe someday...skott

Originally posted by allosaur176@Mar 8 2006, 06:01 PM
Well, you ordered yours the day after I did, correct???  I have a feeling it will arrive tommorow    :)

Or possibly UPS will make a late night delivery. :D I came home tonight to find the huge box waiting for me. I'll try and get pictures up tomorrow. It's a fantastic piece and I'm so glad I got one. As most have reported it does have a few small imperfections, but nothing too big or worth complaining over. Just glad to have it in my collection finally

Originally posted by Plo Koon+Mar 9 2006, 02:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Plo Koon @ Mar 9 2006, 02:31 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-allosaur176
@Mar 8 2006, 06:01 PM
Well, you ordered yours the day after I did, correct???  I have a feeling it will arrive tommorow    :)

Or possibly UPS will make a late night delivery. :D I came home tonight to find the huge box waiting for me. I'll try and get pictures up tomorrow. It's a fantastic piece and I'm so glad I got one. As most have reported it does have a few small imperfections, but nothing too big or worth complaining over. Just glad to have it in my collection finally
[snapback]1202048[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thats Great news....... I'm glad yours arrived.... So tell, me, what imperfections have you noticed on yours???

Originally posted by allosaur176@Mar 9 2006, 09:59 AM
Thats Great news.......  I'm glad yours arrived.... So tell, me, what imperfections have you noticed on yours???

Yes, it IS great news. Well, I think I may redo the grip section. Although it is fairly nice and on the piece really well I think I'm going to get some accurate ostrich skin and rewrap it. The only real imperfection worth mentioning on the piece is where there is some red paint that has dripped over on the chromed section of the blade. Any ideas as to how I might go about fixing that? Other than that it's great and I can't stop picking it up. I'm going to take some pictures today once I get home

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back