Slave Leia caryatid WIP

weaselflinger

Sr Member
Don't know why, but I've always wanted to sculpt a caryatid and/or ship figurehead and thought it would be fun to slip a little Star Wars into it. This still has a lot of work to do, but I like where it's going so far. This one is about 30" and I may do a larger scale version in the future.

Thanks for looking,

leia.jpg

What a clever idea! Question...I'm assuming this is clay? If so, what kind?? I've read about WETA clay but just curious as I've not sculpted before. Also, what happens once u r done? Will u cast it somehow? Curious mind wants to learn more!! Very nice job!!

I live in CT and there is a museum here in the mystic village that contains nothing but these...yours would sneak right in ;)

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The idea for these was to mold and cast multiples and use them as architectural decoration that might not be immediately noticed as Star Wars themed art.

The sculpt is Chavant NSP medium plasticene. Don't think I've heard of WETA clay (maybe you were thinking of WED clay?), which is a water based clay that has glycerin added to prevent it from air drying quickly.

WED would be ideal for a larger version of this piece, but for small scale, I really like Chavant.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The idea for these was to mold and cast multiples and use them as architectural decoration that might not be immediately noticed as Star Wars themed art.

The sculpt is Chavant NSP medium plasticene. Don't think I've heard of WETA clay (maybe you were thinking of WED clay?), which is a water based clay that has glycerin added to prevent it from air drying quickly.

WED would be ideal for a larger version of this piece, but for small scale, I really like Chavant.

Indeed I did mean WED clay, but my memory is like that...sorry. Very cool regardless! Thanks for sharing some of your process. ;)

I've tried to sculpt Carrie Fisher's likeness before and could never quite nail it.
I'm thinking of giving it another shot soon.

Great work on the sculpt.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back