Slave Leia caryatid WIP

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by weaselflinger, Apr 15, 2012.

1. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Don't know why, but I've always wanted to sculpt a caryatid and/or ship figurehead and thought it would be fun to slip a little Star Wars into it. This still has a lot of work to do, but I like where it's going so far. This one is about 30" and I may do a larger scale version in the future.

Thanks for looking,

[​IMG]

2. Contec

Contec Master Member

oooooooh nice....You could do a new one as a twi-lek (Oola?) with the lekku hair flowing down the back.

3. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

That's fantastic! Post some other angles as well, I'd love to see more.

4. NelBearPig

NelBearPig Member

That is really cool. Amazing work.

5. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

That's a great idea, I'll have to give it some serious thought.

6. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Looks really good. Almost looks like you could put up several of them in a room as decorations.

7. Miker

Miker Well-Known Member

What a clever idea! Question...I'm assuming this is clay? If so, what kind?? I've read about WETA clay but just curious as I've not sculpted before. Also, what happens once u r done? Will u cast it somehow? Curious mind wants to learn more!! Very nice job!!

I live in CT and there is a museum here in the mystic village that contains nothing but these...yours would sneak right in ;)

8. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The idea for these was to mold and cast multiples and use them as architectural decoration that might not be immediately noticed as Star Wars themed art.

The sculpt is Chavant NSP medium plasticene. Don't think I've heard of WETA clay (maybe you were thinking of WED clay?), which is a water based clay that has glycerin added to prevent it from air drying quickly.

WED would be ideal for a larger version of this piece, but for small scale, I really like Chavant.

9. Miker

Miker Well-Known Member

Indeed I did mean WED clay, but my memory is like that...sorry. Very cool regardless! Thanks for sharing some of your process. ;)

10. thebooder

thebooder Member

I'd sail her.

11. thebooder

thebooder Member

I've tried to sculpt Carrie Fisher's likeness before and could never quite nail it.
    I'm thinking of giving it another shot soon.

Great work on the sculpt.

12. Pobbrett

Pobbrett Well-Known Member

just spat my drink on the laptop, that could be taken all manner of wrong ways

13. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice work! :thumbsup

14. GurnardArts

GurnardArts New Member

What a great Idea, looks amazing