Slave 1 paint job Bandai job

Toadmeister

Sr Member
Getting ready to kick this kit off. First task is to ignore the molded in color of the lower skirt area and paint it in the chipped-like wear of the movie ship.

How to start? I'm thinking out loud here but I'd love to hear others thoughts.

Method A:
1) prime in light grey ( probably Tamiya rattle can)
2) strategically apply Micro Mask with a brush
3) airbrush with Archive X Boxcar Red
4) remove mask, touch up, scuff up as needed

This is pretty much the way ILM would have done it on the original studio model. It can be a bit of work for a small 1/144 kit however. So I'm thinking of doing the inverse.

Method B:
1) airbrush the Archive X Boxcar Red
2) Apply light grey "paint chips" with brush.

Less work, maybe less effective. But in 1/144 it makes more sense to me.

What say the hive?

PXL_20201214_021426253.jpg

for the red skirt, I put down a grey base, then use some micro mask along the seam lines and bottom of the skirt to later use for chipping, added the dark red, then peeled of the masking stuff. Then I used the corner of a sponge to add the pink paint chipping along the worn away seam lines

41356645272_58a299d38a_o.jpg

27529193278_85b714c1f6_o.jpg

41356672432_d4032c9a92_o.jpg

For the body used a similar process using a combination of the masking fluid and sponge technique to get the various chipping

for the red skirt, I put down a grey base, then use some micro mask along the seam lines and bottom of the skirt to later use for chipping, added the dark red, then peeled of the masking stuff. Then I used the corner of a sponge to add the pink paint chipping along the worn away seam lines

View attachment 1378175
View attachment 1378176
View attachment 1378177

For the body used a similar process using a combination of the masking fluid and sponge technique to get the various chipping

Fantastic work!

Do you know the greys and green colors you used on the fuselage sides?

At the time Archive-X was not around so I used Tamiya Paints, plus they are easy for me to get

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think this is mostly it

I used these as references for painting

This is an amazing paint job build from John Simmons and does a great step by step type of guide

Between those two I gathered a list of prospective colors and went to the local hobby store with some ref pics
I picked out colors that looks like a good starting point

in the end I think this is the main route I went

for the skirt base - Equal parts XF-14 J.A. Grey , XF-2 Flat White and XF-20 Medium Grey

Basically mostly grey with just a hint of green

Then the XF-9 Hull Red. I think I may have mixed in a little bit of Flat Red as well ( or possibly the buff color John suggested)

XF-63 German Grey over a black base for the walkway

for the main body I think is used XF-87 IJN grey for the main base color possibly mixed with some white and/or XF-14 J.A. Grey
also mixed in some tamiya xf-65 for the darker splotches

for the dark green hull patches on the top and the two fender parts I used J.A. Green XF-13

Khaki XF-49

for the Bandai one in my stash I have been considering using Archive-X acrylics (I prefer acrylic over enamels)

At the time Archive-X was not around so I used Tamiya Paints, plus they are easy for me to get

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think this is mostly it

I used these as references for painting

This is an amazing paint job build from John Simmons and does a great step by step type of guide

Between those two I gathered a list of prospective colors and went to the local hobby store with some ref pics
I picked out colors that looks like a good starting point

in the end I think this is the main route I went

for the skirt base - Equal parts XF-14 J.A. Grey , XF-2 Flat White and XF-20 Medium Grey

Basically mostly grey with just a hint of green

Then the XF-9 Hull Red. I think I may have mixed in a little bit of Flat Red as well ( or possibly the buff color John suggested)

XF-63 German Grey over a black base for the walkway

for the main body I think is used XF-87 IJN grey for the main base color possibly mixed with some white and/or XF-14 J.A. Grey
also mixed in some tamiya xf-65 for the darker splotches

for the dark green hull patches on the top and the two fender parts I used J.A. Green XF-13

Khaki XF-49

for the Bandai one in my stash I have been considering using Archive-X acrylics (I prefer acrylic over enamels)

I probably have all those Tamiya paints as well in addition to my Archive X. I’ll definitely use my Archive X boxcar Red for the red skirt hull.

A little update:

Decided to go the hand painted route after priming with Tamiya light grey spray can. Really happy with the results. I just started by dabbing on the Archive X Boxcar Red thinned for brushing and kept building up the opacity until satisfied. I might go back and add some pink/salmon touches yet.

Got all my references handy on the workbench!
PXL_20201224_182012971.jpg

Decided to call this done for now. Models are never really done, just out on the shelf. Spent. Lot of time with the multi-colored paint job, weathering, chipping, and distress.

The red skirt is much more vibrant in photos than in person. I tried playing around a bit with some digital filters but it's hard to tone down

PXL_20201228_234916455.MP.jpg
PXL_20201228_235932344.jpg
PXL_20201228_235743447~2.jpg
PXL_20201228_235825622~2.jpg
PXL_20201228_235924611.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back