Slade Wilson "Arrow" Island Version

Zendragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's been a while since I put together any sort of build thread here, but this one seems worth of it due to the number of people who are looking for similar info.

A few weeks ago during Wizard World Sacramtento, several people came up to our table and asked if I had considered doing the "Island" version of Slade Wilson from "Arrow", which I hadn't, despite how much I enjoy the show.

As much as I have worn uncomfortable costumes, like Ironman and Master Chief, I really prefer something more comfortable, and thus, my BSG Duty Greens are my go to costume when I just need to move around.

When I thought about the Slave Wilson costume, it has a number of the same elements to it, being the BDUs and boots and I decided to give it a go. Fortunately, the RPF is the place to find information. If someone has done research on something prop or costume related, there is a good chance you will find it here using the search feature and that search led me to this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f77/help-source-arrow-deathstroke-pieces-197869/

It's packed with tons of useful information.

I started out by putting together an inventory list of the things I would need for the costume. WARNING: To do this costume with 85-95% accuracy, you will spend some money.

BDU, ideally in dark grey or grey. (I bought Tru-Spec because they offered the darker color)

stephen-amell-willa-holland-arrow-set-return-05.jpg

I am told that they used the darker BDU's, did an enzyme wash and then distressed accordingly.

Depending on how dark they are, I may order the lighter color and do the reverse in distressing and darken them

Boots - Danner Fort Lewis Danner - Fort Lewis 10" Black - Boots
url.jpg

After talking to Danner, and comparing the photos, it seems clear that these were the 10" model due to the number of eyelets and the addition of 6 loop and rings at the top

Gloves - Franklin Cut Pathogen and Chemical Resistant Tactical gloves Amazon.com: Franklin Cut Pathogen and Chemical Resistant Tactical Gloves, Black, Large: Sports & Outdoors

600px-Arrow_S02E12_02.jpg

Thanks to other members here for identifying the gloves

Boot Knife - Vietnam War Serrated Tanto Bowie Knife and Molded Sheath or Vietnam War Serrated Bowie Knife and Molded Sheath We don't really see too many shots of the knife itself, so it's more about the sheath look.

Swords - Secret Agent Tactical Ninja Sword

Belt knife - Amazon.com: Ka-Bar Becker BK7 Combat Utility Fixed Blade Knife (7-Inch): Sports & Outdoors

Scarf/Shemagh - I chose this model from Rothco in gray Amazon.com: Rothco Shemagh Tactical Desert Scarf - Gray: Clothing

Vest - Equestrian Riding Vest. I chose this model for it's price point. Waiting to see whether the size I ordered will work
Equestrian Horse Riding Safety Vest Protective Vest Body Protector Eventer | eBay
manu-bennett-slade-wilson.jpg

Belt - Cobra 1.75" Riggers belt Military Belt | Cobra Belts

Holster - Blade Tech Pro Series Speed Rig for 5" Government Pro-Series Speed Rig Holster
Slade_Wilson_Manu_Bennett_Oliver_Queen_Stephen_Amell_and_Sara_Lance_Caity_Lotz-2Holster.jpg

The specific model of holster was confirmed by Blade Tech

Pistol - The pistol most used is a Colt 1911A1 .45, this pistol also sees some custom hammers in a couple of scenes, but for the majority, the standard 1911 is just fine
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:Colt1911A1PreWar.jpg
There are a ton of options out there, but I personally chose this model from Belle, due to it's looks and pricepoint
http://www.asiaairsoft.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=628

Misc Parts: This will include webbing, hardware, ammo pouches, etc...

The buckle for the strap system that holds the sword is called a "cop lock buckle" and for the most part they seem to widely sell them in 2 1/4"

But that size is a real pain to find webbing and the other parts for the harness, so I was able to determine that Safariland makes multiple sizes in these buckles including a 2" which now makes everything else easier about assembling this. My loss on the bigger buckles is your gain!

http://www.copquest.com/23-6170_safariland-b4305-3x-triple-locking-buckle.htm

Last edited:
Update on the gloves -

Gloves - Franklin Cut Pathogen and Chemical Resistant Tactical gloves

I received mine tonight and I honestly think that they are too think. Some considerable breaking in is needed before I would consider them safe for weapons handling in the real world. Sure fine for a costume, but I just also ordered these and I will let you know how they go.

Franklin Uniforce General Duty Glove at Galls

Thanks all, I have so far gotten in my Becker BK7 belt knife, my Shemagh (which I think looks perfect) and my gloves, which I mentioned are a bit thick. Waiting for the Gals ones to arrive to compare!

Zen - Thanks for the information. Im working on a masked version similar to what hes wearing this season and this info helps alot.

Re: Slade Wilson "Arrow" Island Version

Sounds awesome! How abt the mask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "Island" version isn't really seen wearing the mask. It sits in his lock box and is found when Oliver goes to choose a weapon.

- - - Updated - - -

Zen - Thanks for the information. Im working on a masked version similar to what hes wearing this season and this info helps alot.

Happy to help :)

The "Island" version isn't really seen wearing the mask. It sits in his lock box and is found when Oliver goes to choose a weapon.

As of the episode "The Promise" he's been seen wearing it at least once on the island, though he drops the scarf and a few other items by that point.

If the goal is screen accuracy you've got some leeway on whether to include the mask or not.

Personally, I think a dirty face and a scruffy beard will sell it just fine.

As of the episode "The Promise" he's been seen wearing it at least once on the island, though he drops the scarf and a few other items by that point.

If the goal is screen accuracy you've got some leeway on whether to include the mask or not.

Personally, I think a dirty face and a scruffy beard will sell it just fine.

Yep I think that will be the plan!

if your looking to do the mask wolfram creation does an amazing job here is the link to there facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wolframcreative

Ok that's pretty awesome! Thanks

I am purchasing this this week it's awesome
View attachment 303905

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa, I might need one!

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

The Slade Project Continues.

So last night I received some more stuff. I know I should have taken a photo, but the phone was in the process of setting up, so maybe tonight.

So far this is what's come in.

BDUs - I have given them their first wash with an enzyme detergent and fabric softener, so far so good.

All blades - The swords look decent enough, you get what you pay for. Same with the boot knife. The KaBar knife if pretty exceptional.

The tac belt - This is a thing of beauty. I am very happy that I opted to buy it made rather than attempt to custom make it. This will need to be distressed.

The vest - it turns out to be too big, so I have ordered a replacement and the other is getting returned

1911 .45 - This came in, it's an all metal knock off of the Tokyo Mauri and it's not half bad.

The strapping buckles to hold the swords on - they are 2.25" buckles, although I am having a hard time finding 2.25" webbing. Guess I will have to settle for 2"

The Danner boots - Day two of breaking them in. It's a painful process

There is so much to really do to get it together by Wondercon 2014: Anaheim, California, and I don't think I can get it all done. I may have to compromise on what will be done and just wear it as is and enjoy it. Modifications and improvements will come later.

What pants did you get?

For the Island Slade Wilson, I chose the dark grey from Propper. They have been washed once now using a detergent with enzymes and some additional fabric softener. I will probably do this a couple of times more to break then down some.

Pics are coming

Update regarding the gloves I mentioned before. The thinner version from Galls came in the other night and they are significantly better for the costume than the thick alternative that I originally mentioned. Here is a photo of them. Ignore the filter. But they are basically identical gloves but without the kevlar which makes them extra thick.

10167944_10152716605828976_205648042_n.jpg

My Blade Tech holster, belt and 1911 all came in as well.

10153010_10152714339058976_1128341455_n.jpg

1535386_10152714367393976_1243818091_n.jpg

I was really pleased with the Belle 1911 that I ordered from Asia Airsoft. All metal, decent look and feel. Nice stuff for the price.

UPDATE:

I am mostly finished.

I have some things to upgrade, in particular, I didn't like the webbing for my sword harness, and I want to make more accurate sheaths for the swords and do some additional distressing overall, but I am pretty pleased with the end results.

These pics are of the BDU distressing process which was the result of several washing in an enzyme infused natural detergent, 1 cup of salt added to the rinse cycle, the addition of fabric softner, and sanding over the spots I wanted to add wear.

Finally paint, fullers earth and rosin were added

10150802_10152744334368976_7818129240934369738_n.jpg10007440_10152744334303976_5081118448628280613_n.jpg10259882_10152744334328976_7111363368854425964_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The almost finished costume

1897800_776061285745435_3117044341583996997_n.jpg10256042_10152422026145407_3034882574946340428_n.jpg1902744_10103030861266533_7015613512893750832_n.jpg1926796_10152343431652243_1095118741225053317_n.jpg10154340_755641404467159_9143820294914226322_n.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back