Skywalker ANH Graflex Conversion Kit query.

simon_lewis

Hello all.

I've been lucky enough to get my grubby hands on a Graflex 3-Cell flash in good condition and a Graflex 2-Cell in poor condition with parts missing that I'm going to build up as Luke Skywalker 'Star Wars' lightsabers. I swapped all the best bits on to the 3-Cell which I'm going to keep.

I'm really pleased with the 3-Cell as it still works and should clean up nicely:

graflex_3cell_1_1.JPG

The 2-Cell is a bit beaten up so I'm extending the rear tube (I figured the one seam that you would see will be covered by the seven grips) and making replacement parts where I can. I'm going to eBay the 2-Cell to make some of my money back.

graflex_2cell_1_1.JPG

I've ordered an ANH conversion kit from EDC Studios for $30 and I want another - should I go back to them or should I try another supplier like TFX Studios (their grip material looks more accurate to me) but NOT Parks? If they're in the USA I'll have to get the kit shipped to the UK.

What would you guys suggest? What have you used? I'm after something cheap, accurate and won't fall off after a bit of handling.

Help me RPF, you're my only hope...

Simon.

Unfortunately, you might as well KISS your $30.00 GOODBYE. :cry EDC is a RIPOFF ARTIST. Hopefully, you'll get something, but I seriously doubt it. Blast-tech is the way to go.

I've always had great dealings with Blast Tech, and received great products super fast.

And yes, EDC may or may not send what you paid for...There's no telling with that guy. :(

Originally posted by Star Wars Man@Feb 27 2006, 10:38 PM
lets see what it looks like when u get it together
[snapback]1195044[/snapback]​

Will do - I'll post pics on Henriks (there are a few photos there already.

Cheers,

Simon.

You guys were absolutely right about EDC.

I ordered a Graflex conversion kit and paid for it on the 14th Feb.

By 14th March I still hadn't received it so I emailed EDC.

By 20th March I still hadn't had a reply so I emailed him again.

I ordered a similar kit from Blast-Tech on the 27th Feb and it turned up about a week later no problem.

No contest really.

It's a shame that traders like EDC are allowed to exist as they simply take your money without any comeback (or any goods).

If EDC was in the UK I could set Trading Standards on him but as he's in another country I'm completely stuffed.

Bummer.

Simon. :angry

bummer about getting ripped off. :(

Can't wait to see your converted 3 cell though, I got one last month... just gotta wait a month or two before i got the money for a blast tech kit :D

Some have waited years for an item...
I'm still waiting on a missing piece of a kit I bought (PKD Trigger guard)..oh how long ago was it? 4+years ago...

LOL, I just scratchbuilt the part, but still...

http://members.aol.com/yodashous2/building.htm

The original place old RPF'rs went to to get conversion kits. Friendly, fast service, great price.
Always where I go to get my conversion kits for over a decade now. Just built an ANH and ESB version last week with two graflex flash units I picked up. :) I love finding original flashes and converting them.

Well all I can say is Welcome to the "I've been ripped off by Chip Wallace CLub" It's a not too exclusive, rather unprestigious group of people who all have one thing in common, Chip Wallace has their money and they have jack @#$%..

The cost of entry can be anywhere between $30.00 to $500.00, so it sounds like you at least got the beginners discount.

In the future absolutely nothing will arive in the mail telling you what will recieve from EDC, your phone calls will be promptly shunned, and messages universally ignored. :angry :unsure

Brava

Dan

Well what do you know - my EDC order arrived last week.

The EDC guy actually replied to my second email and said that the goods were on their way and sure enough my Graflex ANH kit arrived a few days later.

I was very pleased with the EDC 'D' ring which Howard said was better than the Blast-Tech (I'd have to agree) and the grips have rounded ends as opposed to the Blast-Tech angled ones. They're also moulded in tougher plastic that may stick on better but the bottom of the T that glues to the tube is too rounded for my liking. I'm going to try it on my EL Graflex 2-cell project and see how they stick.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - my order was missing a mounting nut but I thought the nut and bolt supplied were too small so I used the Blast-Tech ones anyway.

All in all an okay kit, comparing the two - each has their plus and minus points but on the whole the Blast-Tech definitely has the edge.

In conclusion, would I order from EDC again? No.

Would I order from Blast-Tech again? Definitely.

Cheers,

Simon.

I ordered an EDC kit last year and agree that shipping does indeed take a long time... Chip apparently ships surface - not air mail - which makes a huge difference, especially to us overseas people.

I concur with Simon's review of the kit. The D-ring is very nice and accurate, and the shape of the grip ends is good, but as a whole, the Blast-Tech kit is a better buy.

Anybody have pics of the stuff? I would like to see how the grips hold up compared to the BlasTech and Parks grips, and of course to the real thing which we are discussing in the T-track thread.

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Mar 27 2006, 01:32 PM
Anybody have pics of the stuff? I would like to see how the grips hold up compared to the BlasTech and Parks grips, and of course to the real thing which we are discussing in the T-track thread.
[snapback]1214051[/snapback]​

I'll post some photos when I've got my 2-cell rear end extended and the EDC T-track fitted so people can compare it (and the 'D' ring) with Blast-Tech.

I had another EDC email replying to my comments about the T-track:

"I have finally found a piece of vintage T-Track I believe to be a match for the saber grip material.  The profile looks right and it even has the round indent in the middle of the bottom of the grip but the outer edges remain flat.  I'll be shaping this piece up soon, it has some nicks and dents that need to be filled and sanded, then reproducing it.  These new grips will be hard plastic, so there will be no wobble at all.  Just check back in a few weeks, if these regular grips are not working out for you, I'll be happy to send you a set of these new ones."

I'll keep you posted about this.

Cheers,

Simon.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back