Skyrim "Steel Sword" Prop Build

MorsCerta

Hello all!

Pretty sure I'm posting in the right place for this, so here goes.

I got a late start to playing Skyrim, but now I've played a bit and I'm itching to build some items from the game. I'm thinking of building a costume, but I'm not sure whether to build a Dragonborn rig, or just a Stormcloak/generic guard costume. I do love my arrow in the knee jokes.

Either way I know for sure that any costume I make will be using the "Steel sword" from the game. So while I ponder the costume, I'll be busy building the sword. Here's a pic I found from someone doing a high definition re-texture mod, just to show what I'm after. For the build though, I'll be using the "stock", in game version. When I get the chance, I'll take some screen caps of my own to replace this one.

View attachment 83990

So far I've only scaled the blade from the game, and cut the blade out. I'm starting the process of shaping the blade geometry now, and hope to finish that soon.

View attachment 83992

View attachment 83993

I'm also documenting the build as a tutorial series on Youtube, so here are the links to what I've got so far.

Skyrim Steel Sword Prop Tutorial Part. 1 - YouTube

Skyrim Steel Sword Prop Tutorial Part. 2 - YouTube

Skyrim Steel Sword Prop Tutorial Part 3 - YouTube

Feel free to hammer me with critique and suggestions because I KNOW there will be some flaws. It's been a long time since my work got kicked to the curb, and my ego has gotten far too large.

Very cool. I've wanted to make the costume from the trailer ever since I saw it. Looking forward to your build.

In case you guys weren't aware, some of the costume pieces are already available here.

DSC_1301.jpg

Very cool. I've wanted to make the costume from the trailer ever since I saw it. Looking forward to your build.

Thank you Risu, I hope I don't disappoint.

In case you guys weren't aware, some of the costume pieces are already available here.

Thanks for the heads up Ozy. I was actually reading your helmet thread the other day and it's a very impressive build. I might have to hit you up for reference pictures if I go Dragonborn.

been wanting to make one of these for a while now,so thanks for the vids they will help quite a bit and this build is looking good

Alright, I've made some progress with shaping the blade. I've pretty much discovered that 1/4" really isn't thick enough to make the shaping I've done look right. Anyways, here is the current picture of the blade. Had to hold it so the light hits right.

View attachment 84493

I'm at a point now where I'm not really happy with the width of the "edge", but if I make it wider I'm afraid I will lose the definition entirely. I'm going to try to make it work but if I do this again, I'll be bumping up the blade thickness to at least 3/8". If you read this Oz, do you happen to have any reference photos of the sword you scuplted for the maquette or full size Dragonborn?

Anyway, after the blade I'm going to draft up the hilt design and hopefully put together a PDF. Still not sure whether to scuplt and mold a half of the hilt or just carve the whole thing with some layers of thin sintra/other plastic.

It looks like you've got almost the same reference pic I was given on the sword, but at an angle so it looks a bit shorter than it really is. Perhaps these will help.

69687.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

Awesome! I really appreciate the help Oz! I feel much better about the scale of my prop now. Really great work on the whole model.

It must have really been something to be in the same room as an army of Dragonborn.

So, the project isn't dead, I've just been crazy busy finishing senior mechanical projects at school. Hope to jump start this in a few weeks.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back