Skyrim - Nordic Steel Armor (Dovahkiin)

Fabricator Djinn

Greetings RPF. I've been a huge fan of Skyrim and have probably put more hours into it then anyone rightfully should. In the efforts of becoming a viking I have decided to make myself a set of the Nordic Steel Armor with a Skyforged Steel Battleaxe. This set, minus the shield.
steelyngvolshelm.jpg

Probably going to use a combination of Sintra and whatever else I can make work to achieve the effect I want.. but this is where I am going to chronicle my progress.

First things first, the battleaxe.

I started by ripping the models I wanted to use from the Skyrim game data and making some basic templates out of them.
steelbattleaxe%20%28Medium%29.PNG

Starting with just the head portion of the axe (going to be building this in layers, made almost entirely out of Sintra) I traced out 5 slices on a 1/4th sheet. The head of this axe will be about 20 inches across (manly as hell).
CIMG3199%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG0001%20%28Medium%29.JPG

After an adventure on the bandsaw and with the razorknife...

CIMG0007%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Planning to sink a handle directly into this mess of sections, and in order to fill the seams that form between the sheets I filled each layer with wood glue (I know it wont bind to the Sintra well, its going to be screwed together.. this is to fill the seams and add strength)
CIMG0008%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Maximum clampiness achieved.

CIMG0012%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Next step is for me to sink the handle into the head and block off the blade edges and sand them down to shape.

That axe head looks pretty awesome so far. Are you going to use like a wooden broom handle as the shaft? Also what material do you plan on using for the armour? Sintra, metal, Pep, or foam?

Planning on using Sintra for the bulk of the armor plates, with a layer of thin Styrene for the raised detailing (swirly bits). Might use a layer of EVA foam under some of the plates to give added thickness (mostly on the waist). Going to try and make this one almost entirely from Sintra and leather.

Haven't quite gotten to the armor.. but I'll figure it out when I get to it.

Using a thick wooden Dowel for the handle, its about the right length and thickness.

That's a good plan. Since the armour isn't as rounded and it is more angular that makes it world's easier to work with the sintra that way. And for the dowel how are you going to mount it to the head of the axe?

Todays progress on the axe~
CIMG0014%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Took an angle grinder and a orbital sander to the sides of the axe and roughed out the blades. Got the edges pretty sharp and VERY straight, pretty happy with it.

CIMG0018%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Next step was to rough out the inner blades. It was a serious pain in my backside to get these bits done.. and it will need minor filling later to make it perfectly smooth - pretty close though.

CIMG0021%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Side view, the little imperfections (and the seams.. which the glue didnt fix.. dang it all) will all be filled and sanded at a later stage.

CIMG0022%20%28Medium%29.JPG

This is how I planned on doing the handle Slip. Bandsawed out a section of the head and mounted the dowel into it with a combination of hot glue and screws (one at top, two on sides) Should be plenty sturdy enough for my purposes.

Next step is to start building up the top part of the handle and the spike at the top. The dowel and screws and whatnot will be covered by a sheet of styrene that has all the detailing on it (will be mounted right ontop of it and sanded flush at the sides.. hopefully it will work as intended)

So, this is what you have been up to!

Looks boss as always man!
Ya know...if you use some magnets in this build you could make that a 40k axe as well...
just make the heraldry removable :p

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back