Skyrim Dragonborn helmet, 1st cast painted

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by kwalsh0000, Nov 30, 2011.

1. kwalsh0000

kwalsh0000 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Latest progress on last post

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

Re: Skyrim (Dragonborn) helmet sculpt in progress

looks good so far! gonna get the game for christmas, apparently is supposed to be one of the best games ever

3. DarkPassenger

DarkPassenger Sr Member

Looks awesome so far!

I been thinking about cool Elder Scrolls props. What else is out there?

4. Ozymandius

Ozymandius Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You're off to a good start. Best of luck with it.

And let me know if you need any extra reference pics.

5. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

The game itself allows you to view the model with full 360 degrees on every axis, plenty of reference right there, even for the interior.

6. lukel4

lukel4 Active Member

looking really good!

7. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

I've gotten a Moon-and-Star ring from Morrowind. I'll post a thread when it gets here. I also have another... larger project in the works. Just collecting reference now, but it should be a quick build once I get started.

Nice work here. I might be interested in a copy, should you decide to sell. ;)

8. kwalsh0000

Thanks everyone,
    Managed to get some more work done on the horn base. Bulked them up and attempting to get them matching as best I can. I think they are slightly too big and need more of a curve down and foreward but will focus on the eyes next and then back plate to see how it all fits.

Cheers for the offer Oz, extra pics are always welcomed!
    Thanks for the tip Jedi2016 good idea but im going more with the trailer/cover art version than the ingame version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Reg B

Reg B New Member

Looks vary good so far.

10. Ozymandius

Yeah, your horn sconces are too big and they should go straight to the side, not angled. Think of it as if someone jammed a large pipe straight through the side of the helmet and out the other side, and then cut both ends off flat.

The strip that forms the nosebridge runs right over the top of the helmet and ends in a point just past the horn sconces. It's supposed to be a large piece of reinforcing metal that's peaked like a roof down the middle.

And FYI, I worked directly with Bethesda when they contracted me to sculpt the head and maquette for the 7 foot statues that are now in all the Gamestops all over the world. I spent 6 weeks sculpting this helmet, both in life size and in 1/3 scale, so I'd dare say that there's no one in the world that knows this helmet better than I do right now.

And that also means that I have a lot more reference material than you're going to find in the game.

Cheers,

[​IMG]

11. outlander

outlander Sr Member

I have to say... Those credentials make for a marginally acceptable indication that you might possibly possess a very elementary inkling of the rudest idea of what you are talking about. :lol

It's definately an incredibly beautiful feast for the eyes, this game.

12. DarkPassenger

DarkPassenger Sr Member

This made me :lol hard.

13. Ozymandius

I think his Thesaurus just exploded.

14. jimjimmyjones85

jimjimmyjones85 Active Member

Very cool ! Can't wait to see it finished.

15. checkM8alice

checkM8alice New Member

Looks great.

16. kwalsh0000

Cheers for the pic and info Oz, greatly appreciated! Work has been slow on it due to the job getting in the way and no time. I have re done the nose area and eyes. From what I have gathered each pic from the art work, to the live trailer and ingame version has noticeable differences and will be basing mine off a mix of the live trailer one and box art work.

Will be posting updated pics shortly, its going to be a slow one but will get there eventually

17. Ozymandius

I'm not sure about the details on the live action helmet or who made it. Bethesda had me make mine based entirely on the box art.

18. kwalsh0000

This is a very slow sculpt! I managed a few hours total in this before I went away for a while and have since come back and torn it down.

With the help of my friend at his studio I have re started this piece from the ground up and its still very much a WIP with not much time to dedicate to it but its getting there.

Torn down and re shaping of the helmet started (the first one now I look at it was kak!)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Still in the roughed out stage and added extra length just to have excess to play with. Using very thin styrene to give me an idea on the eyes, ridges etc before I scribe them. Also just for fun wanted to see what it would look like with other horns
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Latest, trimmed away the excess on the bottom to be more even. Using more styrene to get a rough estimate on the eyes. Will keep messing around with them until I get the right shape of the eyes and distances then will come trimming the excess on the bottom to start bringing the shape out
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. xdmray

xdmray Well-Known Member

looking much better now. i like the curled horns. you know when i put this helmet on Lydia the horns are very curled.... :) glad you are back at this.

20. kwalsh0000

Thanks man :)
    I did a lil bit more today, there was a few uneven levels around the brow so smoothed and rounded them out a lil. I also started to trim a little bit on one side to see how it looks (its still a bit too curved ave to straighten it out a bit more tomorrow when I have time)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. kwalsh0000

More slow progress. Eye area (they just dont look right to me) and ridges still need work and more reshaping. Decided to go more for the box art style in the end than the live trailer or in game version
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

22. kwalsh0000

A little bit more work done today. Managed to get the nose ridge blocked out and smoothed down a bit and using some clay did another mock up of the eyes and ridges just to see if im going in (thats the reason its just lines of clay and not proper ridges). The eyes still dont sit right with me, will keep at it though!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. kwalsh0000

Another update, first time working on it today since the last post so its a long build, tore down one side and reshaped it as some of the shapes of the helm itself were wrong. I am aiming to do a mix of all the different helmets (trailer and box art) but i keep going off on my own take.

Doesnt look like much of an update but slowly getting there. Blocked out more of the shapes tonight, still far from refining the lines. The ridges on the centre line will be beveled a bit more. Thinking narrowing the ridge over the eye line a bit (where the rivets are) and re shaping the eyes as i think they are too large and long and straighten out the curve beside the nose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  24. kwalsh0000

Multipost

25. Buddha

Buddha New Member

Wow, this is coming out amazing.
    Not the best helmet in the game, but still love it.

26. kwalsh0000

Thanks!
    Did a lil bit today. Blocked out the horn base, will trim them down and make them both even tomorrow and removed the top line of the brow and will lower it slightly

[​IMG]

27. kwalsh0000

Another quick little update and quick pic (lots of tiny updates as its rare i have had this much time to work on it!)
    The left horn base is 90% done shape wise and is more or less what I will be going with. Going to work on evening out the right horn on the weekend, then all thats left to do is flair out the sides of the rear of the helmet and then I can focus on the detail, sharpening up the lines etc.

Then comes the question, mold it as a clean one and add the damage after or add damage now...
    [​IMG]

28. xdmray

xdmray Well-Known Member

mold it clean. battle damage is always easy to do with a dremmel later. plus you can customize the damage.

looking real good. your lines are nice and straight.

29. kwalsh0000

Thanks! I have some more time off at last so its back to work on it. The horn base is a b**** to get to match the one on the left. I have put too many curves in on the different angles so might just make them straight instead of having them curved slightly down and forward to facilitate the horns.

Clean mold it is!

30. kwalsh0000

Another little update. Looking at it in the pics I can see many flaws already that I could not see in person and will have to change, such as looking from the back one side is not even.

Flaired out the back a little to match the box art im trying to replicate, the pins are a bit too big for the bolts but will do as temp ones to get placement. Horn base has been changed, more straight than curved. They still need alot of work, might need to be made smaller...bah il get there eventually.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. kwalsh0000

Thank god for photoshop, I see now I have to lower the brow a bit and change the shape of the inner part of the eye area.

[​IMG]

32. kwalsh0000

More annoying updates :p In two minds about re doing the horn base..will see. Should have just used some PVC pipe and a layer of clay, would have made things easier :p
    Thinking the gap in the back needs to be made smaller....will see
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33. Recoil101

Recoil101 New Member

I stumbled upon this site just surfing the Internet. I always saw things like this being made on DVD additional features and on Saturday morning tv. Before I was a corporate lacky I had an art scholarship that I passed in favor of the military. I say that to say this. Watching you guys do this stuff is amazing and inspiring. I am thinking I may have a new hobby soon. Excellent work man. You are teaching me a lot.

34. Ozymandius

Your progress is looking very good. :thumbsup

One thing I would suggest is trying upholstery tacks for the rivets instead of thumbtacks. Very common in most hardware stores. They have a nice high dome and will give you better dimensionality for that hand-made look.

And yeah, the gap in the back is about an inch and a half too high up. The width looks nice, just needs to be a little shorter.

One thing that always helps me when sculpting this kind of stuff is to study real world examples and think about how the helmet actually has to function.

For instance, the gap in the back is not just for looks. It's there to give the wearer room to tilt his head back without hitting his neck and dislodging the helmet. With that in mind, the back gap needs to be wide enough to accomodate the neck (which you've got) and low enough so that it doesn't leave the back of the skull unprotected.

Keep at it. Your going to have a really nice piece when your done.

35. kwalsh0000

Thanks Recoil but im still learning myself and no where near as good as some of the other guys n gals here.

Thanks Oz! I will give the other tacks a try. I also have some rivets on the way over for some other projects that I might try too (and give thema little hammering for a more worn look)

Good thinking about the back of the helmet. I was going to make it slightly more narrow and def reduce the height a bit. Then its back to some final work on the horn base before working on the brow then horns. Hopefully can get some work done this week at some stage

36. kwalsh0000

I was at my mates studio and i decided to take the horn base off and do the horns first. I will cast them up then do the horn base. I added details but the pics dont show them well. Started this today and finished tonight. Decided to keep the ridges random and not perfect to help the piece seem more natural, flaws, lumps and all.

Question though, any ideas on molding the horn? Dont want to do a two part if I can avoid it and should I make the details more pronounced to make sure they are captured in the silicone?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. xdmray

xdmray Well-Known Member

Re: Skyrim (Dragonborn) helmet sculpt, horn sculpt finished

those horns look great! you should be able to just do a one piece silicone mold.
    it doesnt seem like the shape would lock in any way. you could always just make a small slit to ensure it doesnt lock.

38. Ozymandius

Yeah, you can definately do a 1 piece mold for the horns. That's what I did for both the full sized horns and the 1/3 scale ones. You can just slit it down the middle on the inside of the curve and then pull the casts out without having to cut the mold completely in two.

A little tip. I would recommend sculpting in a beveled key on the base of the horn so that can fit into the side of the helmet. This will give you a lot more glue area when attaching the horns and make them stronger.

39. Xosmi

Xosmi New Member

I don't know if this will be of use to you at all, but i've took some captures of the in-game art from all sides and put them online here :

Iron helmet - skyrim - Imgur

[​IMG]

40. kwalsh0000

Thanks for the advice Xdmray and Oz. I was thinking about doing the key on the end of the horn initially but I am probably going to cast them with threaded screws in and then create the thread in the helmet in addition to having the horn base bevelled in slightly aswell so the horn sits in (as if the strip of metal o n the end of the horn base is holding it in). Well thats the plan at least lol.
    Thanks for the pics aswell Xosmi, mine is based more off the box art but nice for reference.

I got 2 casts done, top is resin and middle is a foam test piece with black gun foam as its called. Sets up very quick so i missed the tip on this one but will ideal for sculpting around as its very light but very strong. The clay piece came out with just one break
    [​IMG]

41. kwalsh0000

Some more progress...
    Blocked out and started to refine the horn base then upon seeing the head on pic something looks off to me. Think I need to shorten the horn base length that comes out the side so they dont stick out as much and are more flush to the helmet, make them over all a bit smaller and maybe angle them down a bit more.

Also now seeing the horns in they seem a bit too long, but as they are cast in a hard foam its handy enough to trim away .5 inch or so from the base to bring it closer into the helmet as they look too big now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. kwalsh0000

Pretty happy with the forms now, still a few tweaks to be done, lines to be refined and then onto textures. The horns have been cut at the base by about 1" aswell to bring them more in proportion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

43. kwalsh0000

All thats left to do is finish smoothing. I added a couple of scrapes just to see how it looks so I can decide whether or not to do it fully clean or partially weathered.

Anyways, any tips on smoothing chavant medium? Might just mold it, do a cast then remold?

Anyways ontop pics. Happy with horn base at last, trimmed them down to be more streamline, finished all the lines and rivets and cut away the side of the eyes for molding and the gap in the back of the helmet has been made smaller.

Any feedback, flaws or anything you see, let me know!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

44. Ozymandius

Re: Skyrim (Dragonborn) helmet 90% done

:thumbsup Great job. Only thing I see missing are the tiny rivets on the nose guard.

For smoothing, I use a paint brush with Mineral Spirits to smooth out the tool marks.

45. abaker1381

abaker1381 Member

amazing!! love ur work.

46. DesTROYer8564

DesTROYer8564 New Member

Mate, that is sweet as. Well done on your work so far.

47. Pizza

Pizza New Member

So amazing ! I love !

48. kdflash

kdflash Active Member

coming along really nice

49. kwalsh0000

Re: Skyrim (Dragonborn) 1st test cast done!

Thanks everyone :)

I tried the mineral spirits and it got rid of most of them but certain areas it just caused too much hassle. I decided to leave out the rivets on the nose piece as on the box art I am basing my piece off it doesnt look like they are there.

Heres the first test cast from the quick mold. Only clean up I have done is popping out one of the eyes a little bit (was the last bit of my resin so just enough for one helmet), it still has the seam line and flashing on the side but I will clean that up another day then get to using this piece to refine lines and details then re mold properly (theres only slight damage such as scrapes etc on this piece). The horns are my first test foam horns (hence the shape being off) but they are a nice snug fit in the horn base and dont need to be glued.

The sculpture itself came out with very minor damage so I might do that one as a proper battle damaged sculpt just for practice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

50. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Skyrim (Dragonborn) first test cast done!

Looks good! Nice sculpt and raw cast.