Skyrim Dragon Fullsize Build

Engtech05

So i have been thinking of building a working life size costume of a Skyrim Dragon....
I have watched a lot of the Stan Winston School Videos on how to do a large portion of the creation, my only problem or issue is the Size of the creature. I have chosen to have a dragon that is 12 - 15 foot tall with a wingspan of 16-18 feet and about 25 feet in length. A little hard to bring this creation to any Comic Con and just walk in and expect to fit through the door. I have thought about out door events as well, be great for any Renascence festival and the likes. The creature will be fully articulated and be able to expand the wings, have toy'd with the idea of fire breathing as well, but not sure how to make sure nothing melts, may just go with a smoke generator.

Thoughts, comments

That's pretty ambitious, have you done anything this size before?

Cant wait to see this come to life, make sure you post us lots of pics!

I am a tinker of sorts, I have yet to build anything so large in scale. But as long I plan this out it will hopefully go well.
I plan on building a 14 foot trailer and the custom shipping crates to hold the dragon in sections.
I first have to finish my Ice Giant costume then I can make room in the garage for this project.

Will have to build in sections... Ha!
Tail, wings, body, neck, head.
I hope to get started in a few weeks on the tail section as it will be the easiest.

Some of the walking with dinosaurs videos might help.
Just about to suggest that before I saw your post. Take a look at those videos, as well as maybe The Lion King, anything with those puppetry - and study how they work. I think Walt Disney World has the Maleficent dragon at their Fantasia show? It'd be good to look at that as well.

Well, I have modeled up the rib-cage section with pool noodles and I think it will work for what I want to do.
I have cut all the tail section aluminum "vertabrae" as well as the neck. I also have just about finished the first controller modeled after the Stan Winston school controllers.
Had to make a milling attachment for my lathe today so I can finish up the rest of the first controller.
I will post pictures just soon as I can find my battery charger for the camera.
I have almost completely modeled up the controller so i will post the pdf plans when complete for those who wish, just remember I made this pretty big so it would handle the stress of the length of the neck and tail sections.

Well, I have modeled up the rib-cage section with pool noodles and I think it will work for what I want to do.
I have cut all the tail section aluminum "vertabrae" as well as the neck. I also have just about finished the first controller modeled after the Stan Winston school controllers.
Had to make a milling attachment for my lathe today so I can finish up the rest of the first controller.
I will post pictures just soon as I can find my battery charger for the camera.
I have almost completely modeled up the controller so i will post the pdf plans when complete for those who wish, just remember I made this pretty big so it would handle the stress of the length of the neck and tail sections.
Sounds awesome! Got any pics?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back