Skydiver 5 foot build

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by RCnut, Apr 7, 2012.

1. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

I started building this a couple of years ago and have now gotten around to finishing it. Got a couple of 40mm water jets for it and have to install them. when thats done I need to finish adding all the detailing on the sub and there you go lol, easy aint it.

2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man you have a helluva lot of cool irons in the fire! :lol

3. terryr

terryr Sr Member

You must have a huge bathtub!

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Holy Cow!!!!

5. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Indeedy Apollo, And most need to be finished :lol

6. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Fitted the jets in today so hopefully water tests on sunday.

7. Apollo

Bro that is going to be so cool!!!

8. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Thats some serious building......that's what i come here for!!!!:thumbsup

9. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

LOVE IT! Do you think you'll have any problems getting it's boyancy right? How are you going to handle that?

10. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Cheers guys, Ordered the brushless motors and esc's today so hopefully will install them by sunday. Now......boyency. Hmmm when I last put this thing in our pond to see if the previous jets worked (They didnt coz I mounted them inside the outer side just behind the side vents the bloody thing was sitting so high in the water they didnt even get wet) this time as you can see I've gone back to the belly with them. To get this thing to dive it would have to be freeflooded with a WTC intalled so where do the jets go? I'd rather stick to my plan for a surface runner with the possibility of sea skimming.

11. Scouse Trooper

Scouse Trooper New Member

Absolutely fantastic work. I loved watching UFO as a kid and always wanted my own Shadow Mobile (not just the Dinky toy)!!!

12. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

13. Apollo

:eek GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!! :eek

Bro you are going to have to put a lead weight in her otherwise that thing is gonna fly right out of the water! :lol

Totally AWESOME!!!

14. Holluba

Holluba Active Member

I've three things to say about this:

1/ I have absolutely no idea what a Skydiver is, so I'm going to have to look it up.
    2/ Whatever this is, the model is stunningly good and the propulsion method is amazing!
    3/ Is that the boating lake on the Rye where you did your test? I watched your video and thought that the surroundings looked familiar. I could be wrong.

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see how this turns out when completed.

Holluba

15. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Apollo, Thats the plan lol. And Holluba Yep thats the Rye, lol. Its now drying off upstairs, I still have to seal up where the jets go thru. Didnt want to do that till I was sure it worked.

16. yuumi2891103

yuumi2891103 Sr Member

I love this TV show and the Sky diver !
    Your build is one of the best I've ever seen !!
    RC ? Oh my ......!!

17. jawsmodels

jawsmodels Well-Known Member

Wow thats looking good mate!
    Is that the thing I helped you guys fibreglass at Brads?
    That will look sooo good in the water.
    Hows the Pink Peticoate?
    lol!

18. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Hi omes72

Thanks, Erm This thing was fibreglassed in Edmonton, London. Its actually my Kit, Studio2Models. And whats with the Pink Peticoate lol?

19. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Update, its all smooth now, Conning tower can now be fixed on and removed via a screw, Boxed off the vents etc. Time to start adding all the Greeblies.

20. poormansjb

poormansjb Well-Known Member

Sure you're adjusting for it, but I would imagine that with the actual Diver attached it's going to be pretty nose heavy.

21. modelar7

modelar7 New Member

I just got my newest SciFi Modeler mag and it has a good article about diver.

Dan

22. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Yep, Dont forget the power cells I'll be using, And where in the sub they go. I can counter balance the sky 1 with them.

23. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Would that be the Cassini one? If so I've seen it. A beautiful piece of work, Based on the Smaller 30 inch filming model. As with most productions from those bygone days the different models had sometimes significant differences and such was the case with Sky 1 and Skydiver models. Mine is a bit of a mish mash, the Sky1 is based on the 2 foot stand alone one and the diver more in keeping with the 5 foot model, as seen in good detail in Psycobombs.

24. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Done a bit more today, the engine exhausts are under rubber and will replace those in the current kit as they are more screen acurate to the larger filming model. also started to add the vents.

25. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Well-Known Member

Stunning!

26. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony, Done the vents, Added a few bits on the back end, not far to go, yeh right lol.

27. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Something I had been putting off done today, the dredded rear top fins. They are very prone to being knocked about so I like to make them removable. heres the result.

28. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

I added some of the side venting today, still a bit more to do but going ok so far.

29. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

As it stands, I finished the vents, just need to tidy them up and sorted the gap where the conning tower meets the main hull. More tommorow.

30. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Done a bit more to Diver, Rear Hull detailing, Front Sky 1 Interface, Conning tower ports and insets also "The Place where peeps stand" and the intake grills underneath. As far as im concerned its nearly done I wont be adding any stand out details underneath for drag reasons and since this model will be dragged along to loads of ponds, lakes etc they would probably be knocked off.

31. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Got the mesh I needed and did this today all thats left is 4 vents each side on the back and finish on the conning tower. Then Sky 1.:love

32. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Just AMAZING work!!!!

33. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Divers pretty much done so Sky 1 to go, cockpit and rear plate and the smaller detail parts, heres how it is.

34. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Today I started on the backplate on Sky 1, I'm making an effort to mimic the detail found on the Stand alone 2 foot original prop.

35. JD1

JD1 Well-Known Member

Ah, you didn't mention that over on All Section Alpha Forum - Welcome - otherwise I wouldn't have posted that pic of the 20" Sky 1! :facepalm :lol

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but remember that most of that detail on the 2-footer's rear panel was added by Phil Rae after he acquired the model in the early 90's. Contemporary photos of the rear panel are like hen's teeth!

36. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Hi JD, yep I know that but time constraints being what they are I need to get this beast finished, so im going with what I've got and hope its good enough. And its a seperate removable panel so can be changed at a later date if I get the urge:lol. And any help is most appreciated:thumbsup

37. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

I did the front cannons today and the lower front intake.

38. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Cockpit and Pilot done.

39. BenCozine

BenCozine Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just finished re-watching the first season, so cool to see a build of this.

40. MwNN

MwNN Member

Awesome work!
    I always loved SkyDiver!

41. Pat Regan

Pat Regan Member

Nice work, man. :thumbsup

42. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, All I need to do is paint the sod now lol.

43. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Today I put paint to the Diver

44. MrHateAol

MrHateAol New Member

Only a few months late to the party, but WOW!!! I absolutely have loved this submarine since the mid-1970s when US television accidentally started airing UFO. Including the Eagle, this is by far the best model Gerry Anderson's people have ever created. It's so frakking simple and elegant, and looks completely functional. Top notch work, man!

45. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Well I did start the paint job on the 5 footer but as I am now doing a 6 foot one I must admit to totally losing interest in finishing it off, This is as it is now.

Attached Files:

46. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Got bored so thought Ahh sod it and started painting. Black on, next silver.

Attached Files:

47. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Silver on, Gunmetal on....little bit more to do on that then the pinstriping goes on.

Attached Files:

48. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Started on the pinstriping, still lots more to do. When I say pinstriping I mean I mask and spray each line. Sad I know but better than tape.

Attached Files:

49. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Had to stop for the day. Airbrush well gunked up and will need an overnight soak, White tips and radome done, gunmetal tail, Nose and lower intake and the conning tower hatch red on. More on Friday.

Attached Files:

50. RCnut

RCnut Well-Known Member

Most of the red done, Still the white stripes to do tho, Had enough for today.

Attached Files: