Skins best way to do zippers ect

4505marcel

Im now sourcing my second pred as I want to have my ideal pred as the last one was brought finished.

Im going for a 2 piece scin, I want it zippered up the back of the torso. But whats the best way to do it, is it advisable to glue or latex the zipper in and then run a sewing machine up each side to secure.

I wanted a 2 piece so I can adjust the legs and torso to fit me better for body length, is it best to size it and glue the legs and torso togther or keep it as seperate pieces? How easy is it to get in and out the suit if they are glued together?

Thanks for your help

Marcel

i must admit i had a few problems with sewing my alien costume

problem was the sewing machine was not gripping the latex it was just sticking to the latex and got stuck

i ended up just sewing it by hand which was a nightmare

sew it first then you can do a layer of latex over the back of the zipper. if you glue first then try to sew you might have a problem with the needle sticking to the adhesive and clogging it up. but then again with an industrial machine that might not be a problem.

Just to back up whats been said.

I used CONTACT adhesive to hold the zipper in place, then used some very very strong thred i have and sewed it, i did it by hand and it took me 2 days hehe, (obviously your mates machine will be a godsend) then i latexed over the inside just for some extra security.

Cool thanks guys. Any thoughts on the second question, is it best to leave it as 2 pieces or glue the bottoms to the top to size it as Ive seen a few do it? At the minute my current suit has arms which are seperate from the torso and the torso does up at the side. How hard is it to get into a torso that has sleeves attached and put on with rear zipper?

Cool thanks guys. Any thoughts on the second question, is it best to leave it as 2 pieces or glue the bottoms to the top to size it as Ive seen a few do it? At the minute my current suit has arms which are seperate from the torso and the torso does up at the side. How hard is it to get into a torso that has sleeves attached and put on with rear zipper?

Hey marcle. mine works like that its a two piece with a zip up the back, being female, toilet purposes haha. anyway your question, i find mine extremely hard to get into, but i think thats just cos its so tight fitting, ive had to re install 3 zips onto it as they kept breaking at the end of events when the skin itself was clinging to my real skin from sweat. you'll need two people to help tho obviously, the arms are hard to pull off once you've worn it a while and someone to do the zip

if it helps too the bottom of the top and the top of the trousers have press studs sewn in to keep it together.

I was thinking about gluing the top to the bottom like Ive seen in build threads but im defo going to keep it seperate like my current suit. The rear zip is new to me as mine attaches at the side at the mo, but the arms are also seperate, which I dont really like as they come apart sometimes.
Ive paid for all the bits now for a new pred all but the bio (caseys ancient version) and cannon possibly wolf version) Cant wait to get it all

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back