Skin Illustrator Grunge Palette

Matthew Gresham

I've been experimenting with the grunge palette for several cosplays where I want to make myself look not really filthy like I've been in a coal mine or anything but I want that nice grungy, lived-in look and I'm having trouble getting an application method down that looks good. Now my method is a stipple sponge dipped in the alcohol, but squeezed out so there's barely any on the sponge and it doesn't run or drip, then dip in the makeup and dap and scrape it on my face to get dirt marks and stuff. Any tips?

Have a look at another product from PPI called Fleet Street Dirtworks Grime Dirt Sprays. These come in similar colors but are sprays that can be worked into the skin and than have the access removed with a baby wipe. Repeating the process gives a dirty, worn-in look. The grunge palette is amazing but try spattering the colors with a cut down chip brush or tooth brush. Keep the colors diluted by activate them in the individual cells, take some color and transfer it to the lid and then dilute it even further. I like them for making dirty sweat that runs down from the hairline. I let very diluted Skin Illustrator (Dark Brün is a favorite) dribble down in lines and then remove some with a Q-tip for a realistic look.

By the way, the Fleet Street Dirtwork powders (and application gel) also work great for more subtle dirtying up.

Personally when doing TV/Movie work I use the Dirtworks Sprays and Powders more than the palette.

Good luck, Lawrence Kelatow

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back