Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by SKS Props, Sep 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Hey everyone SKS Props here yet again with another build! I haven't posted in a while because I have been filling orders for others and working nonstop on a secret costume for Dragon Con!! I am pleased to show off my first teaser image of Skeletron from the cult movie Turbo Kid. Those that are not familiar with this movie just try and imagine Mad Max but with BMX bikes and over the top gore...my kind of movie!! I had been looking forward to it since last February. Anyways here is Skeletron he is one of the top bad guys with a killer metal mask and a buzz saw throwing weapon. I am just posting the mask right now and I promise that when I get back from Dragon Con I will post all of the steps it took to create this and the entire costume. Anyone going to Dragon Con please be on the lookout for me and say hi!!!!

Here is an image from the movie

[​IMG]

Here is my mask - minus the hair I am still working on the wig

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Thodin and BlackKaos like this.
  2. 11B30B4

11B30B4 Well-Known Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid for Dragon Con SKS Props

Like it, No! I love it... Look forward to seeing the pics and hopefully running into you at DC

SKS Props likes this.
  3. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid for Dragon Con SKS Props

Finished up the final details on the Turbo Kid Skeletron cosplay saw launcher. I literally built this in one day with objects I had around the house. I know it's not 100% but again not bad for a one day build. And yes the blade spins! I promise that when I get back from DragonCon I will start the build log on these.

[​IMG]

4. Reakt80

Reakt80 New Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid for Dragon Con SKS Props - Updated 9/2/2

Looks fantastic! I will be dressed as skeletron this weekend as well, I'd love to meet up and get a double skeletron photo if you're interested. I wonder if anyone will be dressed as apple or the kid...

SKS Props likes this.
  5. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid for Dragon Con SKS Props - Updated 9/2/2

Skeletron is ready for DragonCon!!! There are a couple of things I will adjust and improve later on but overall I am pretty happy with the results.

[​IMG]

Thodin and jarvis like this.
  6. NickyD

NickyD New Member

Awesome as always! Love the rust detail on the mask.

SKS Props likes this.
  7. Reakt80

Reakt80 New Member

Where did you find the thigh guards? I was able to find most all of the pads, but the references I used when building didn't show the thigh armor very well.

8. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

I only noticed them when I watched the movie at the very end when he is walking toward apple. I made mine out of eva foam the night I took the pic :)

9. Cell34

Cell34 New Member

This is amazing. Excellent work. Just curious but did you make/find a bike as well? That seems like it would be a lot of fun.

SKS Props likes this.
  10. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Not yet but I will be on the lookout for a cheap on that I can paint up for some additional photoshoots :)

11. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Some shots of my Turbo Kid Skeletron costume from DragonCon. I am compiling pics and should start the build walkthrough on the mask and saw weapon next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thodin and DaddyfromNaboo like this.
  12. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/10/2015

You do good work.

Thanks for reminding me I need to see this movie!

SKS Props likes this.
  13. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/10/2015

I know I'm kind of going backwards on this build showing off finished photos first. But with the extremely tight deadline for DragonCon I just did not have the time to build and document. Luckily I still took a bunch of pic and and am now able to go back and show the build process.
    Like all of my other projects I gathered as much Turbo Kid reference material for the Skeletron mask as possible. Which was not easy since the movie came out on On Demand 3.5 weeks after I started the project. I use my head form from CFX to get my base shape and started to apply Monster Clay. Since reference photos were limited I did something I try to tell people not to do. I had more photos showing his left side so I pretty much finished it and then had to mirror the right (not an easy task). The other tricky part of this mask was making sure the teeth were correct. I measured it out and made a cardboard template so that they would be uniform.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thodin likes this.
  14. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/14/2015

impressive work, looks great! loved the movie, planning on starting a Turbo Kid and Apple cosplay for me and my girlfriend very soon!

SKS Props likes this.
  15. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/14/2015

Once the Turbo Kid Skeletron mask is smoothed out and scaled to fit I start adding the details. For the metal plates I roll out some Monster Clay in a uniform thickness and trim it with a knife. The sides are rounded to give it more of an organic feel. To make all of the pits and dimples in the metal I spend quite some time stippling the mask with various pens, dowels, and wire brushes. It took forever but I got the texture I wanted. After the pits are complete I use a heat gun and very carefully melt the clay just a little bit. Being mindful to not overdo it and melt off part of his face. The "rivets" are made by sinking copper BBs into the clay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

James1214 and SofaKing01 like this.
  16. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/15/2015

Turbo Kid Skeletron Mask - Time for the part I like the least....Molding Time! Using Smooth-on Rebound 25 I make the silicone mold and then use pasti paste to make the mother mold. Now on to the fun stuff. The mask is slush cast using Smooth Cast 65D. For the paint process I use automotive self etching primer for the first coat. Then I use Rustoleum rattle can Antique nickel and apply a black wash with Liquitex Mars Black heavy body acrylics. The "rust" effect is painted on using a mix of iridescent rich copper and Raw sienna. Mask is highlighted using a dry brush technique with Liquitex iridescent right and bright silver and a final pass on the rivers and high points with silver rub and buff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

williamsboy, kialna and Strode like this.
  17. wondersquid

wondersquid Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/16/2015

Very impressive sir. Pity so many don't know about this awesome movie.

SKS Props likes this.
  18. 11B30B4

11B30B4 Well-Known Member

SKS Props, we spoke at Dragon Con. Your build rocks and the costume was great to see in person.

SKS Props likes this.
  19. Octo props

Octo props New Member

That looks amazing I am so going to watch the movie now. I have one question how do you smooth out your monster clay I am have a bit of difficulty.

SKS Props likes this.
  20. gothic

gothic Sr Member

looks great, love the level of detail and age/weathering

SKS Props likes this.
  21. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

I use my hands a lot only near the end do I use a kidney tool and a heat gun to slightly melt the area to get a smooth look.

22. aeonpulse

great shots, thanks so much for sharing your build process!

SKS Props likes this.
  23. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Turbo Kid Cosplay Skeletron Saw Weapon - I built Skeletron's saw weapon in one day with random pieces I had around the shop. Most of the weapons construction is EVA and craft foam except for the handle which is cut out of thick styrene. I mocked up the weapon using cardboard first to give me a general look at the scale and size. Once complete I transferred that to the foam and glued everything together using Barge cement. The saw blade (which is also foam) was attached to a small fan that I hid in the arm piece so that the blade would be able to spin. The whole piece was coated with Pasti Dip before the painting process started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne Bakken and Strode like this.
  24. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/18/2015

Once the primer had dried I used Krylon Antique Nickel and Bright Silver to give the prop a shiny base coat of color. Then using blue painters tape I laid out the caution stripes and sprayed them with Krylon Caution Yellow.
    With the base coats dry I apply a wash of Liquitex Mars Black over the entire prop and wipe off the excess. This will keep the paint in the recesses and make all of those little details stand out more. I use a hair dryer to speed up the process and once dry a thin wash of Raw Sienna is added in spots that mimic the movie. This dulls down the yellow so I go back and touch it up with Liquitex Cadmium Yellow. Liquitex Rich and Bright Silver are dry brushed over highlight metal areas and a final pass of Raw Sienna is dabbed into recesses that need more rust / dirt buildup.
    Blood is added to the saw blade by overloading a mop brush with a mix of Mars Black and Cadmium Red and flinging the paint onto the blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

smoothrat likes this.
  25. smoothrat

smoothrat Well-Known Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/21/2015

So cool!

How did you make the pitted metal effect on the foam for the saw weapon?

SKS Props likes this.
  26. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Sprayed some of that hammered metal rattle can on top for a little added effect

smoothrat likes this.
  27. aeonpulse

man, you make it look too easy. :thumbsup

SKS Props likes this.
  28. Cell34

Cell34 New Member

Quick question, when you say you, "apply a black wash with Liquitex Mars Black". What ratio's are you using? Like 45% water 45% matte medium 10% paint or?

Never painted with a wash before, afraid I will mess that part up.

29. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Usually about a 25-30 % paint the rest is water. You want it watery enough to get into all of the the little details but then you wipe off the excess so you don't want to much pigment to cover up your base color.

30. aeonpulse

saw that the Turbokid rewards page is now offering a few of your masks! so awesome, congrats! i'd love to snag one, unfortunately i've already spent too much money this season on my own Immortan Joe costume. >_<

SKS Props likes this.
  31. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Awesome news I have partnered with Turbo Kid to offer officially licensed Skeletron masks!! If you would like your very own head on over to their Indiegogo page here https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...new/#/contribute?perk_amt=270&perk_id=3172408

I am getting these blanks ready for paint and shipping them out very soon.

[​IMG]

Finished product

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  32. Cell34

Cell34 New Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 10/5/2015

Bought one. Will it come with the leather/pleather straps making it wearable or is that something that will have to be attached after the fact by the buyer?

SKS Props likes this.
  33. Will Vale

Will Vale Member

That's a fantastic costume, thanks for the step-by-step pictures. I'm still eagerly awaiting the movie's release over here. It might've been at the NZIFF but if so I missed it :(

Will

SKS Props likes this.
  34. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

I will strap and pad it :)

35. Reaper593

Reaper593 New Member

Lovely work, It looks absolutely perfect. I plan on making a Turbo Kid Cosplay soon myself.

Also, Where did you get the black and white sweater? Ive been looking all over for it.

SKS Props likes this.
  36. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

I found it on poshmark a site that girls buy used clothes. And yes that was one of the weirdest sites I have ever signed up for :)

Reaper593 likes this.
  37. Cell34

Cell34 New Member

Side note: I tried finding it on Poshmark after SKS suggested it and wasn't able to find anything close to it. The Sweater he used was made by Forever 21 I believe, the original was this one by H&M: http://www.hm.com/us/product/22414?article=22414-B#article=22414-B

But both are like trying to find a unicorn in a haystack. You will be able to find like a million white versions of it, and blue versions, but the black and white one not so much. Which is infuriating. Only thing I was able to find remotely close was this black knit sweater with the stripes:

https://wanelo.com/p/32169813/varsity-knit-sweater

And I plan on attempting to apply some large iron on numbers to it. Definitely a pain trying to find that stupid thing though.

SKS Props likes this.
  38. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

You are correct the film version used one by H&M. forever 21 made one close which is what I have but as mentioned above the black version is very hard to come by. I also have run across 10+ blue ones and 15+ white ones but only seen 1 black ( and I have been looking for over 2 months). Another route is on amazon if you type in 85 (not 58) Black Jumper there is a black sweater from the UK that is pretty close http://www.amazon.co.uk/WOMENS-AMERICAN-FOOTBALL-VARSITY-COLLEGE/dp/B00G3IWH36

39. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Here are some of the officially licensed Skeletron masks I made for Turbo Kid to help raise funds for the movie. More will be available in my etsy shop starting in November.

[​IMG]

40. BurgundyV

BurgundyV New Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 10/9/2015

So cool to see your mask as a reward on the TK IndieGoGo. Even better having been able to snag one! I just got mine today and it's incredible. I was shocked to see it arrive so soon.

SKS Props likes this.
  41. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 10/9/2015

Thank you very much!!! Yeah I have been working my * off to get all of the Halloween orders out then Turbo Kid was like well can we have 5 made up for Indiegogo, oh and out by Halloween. What am I going to say to that :) So..........Not much sleep but I am making everyone happy!!!

42. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

gothic likes this.
  43. gothic

gothic Sr Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 10/17/2015

was watching this years dragoncon on YouTube was it your suit I saw in the video ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb3-KJn1EGs 0.44 in

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    SKS Props likes this.
  44. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Yes it is!! I only wore it on Friday so I was really happy that I ran into the Beat Down Boogie guys and got it on film :)

gothic likes this.
  45. gothic

gothic Sr Member

so cool, I was watching the video and thought hello I know that suit because its so unique. was decent screen time as well not a passing shot

46. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Yeah it helps that I have been friends with Micah Moore for quite a while. He is the guy behind the awesome Beat Down Boogie videos and running the camera :)

47. gothic

gothic Sr Member

as my friend likes saying "its all good" :cool

48. SKS Props

SKS Props Sr Member

Some additional shots of my Turbo Kid Skeletron mask / costume from Dragon Con 2015. Pics by UMO PHoto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thodin likes this.
  49. DWVinny

DWVinny Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 11/2/2015

Well done Sir! Well done!

SKS Props likes this.
  50. Andreescobar

Andreescobar New Member

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 11/2/2015

too cool, the texture detailing on the mask is awesome!

SKS Props likes this.