Sith Acolyte Mask *completed*

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by moose, Feb 13, 2012.

1. moose

moose Active Member

Hi all! This is my first thread and as such my first build up (show me a little mercy, eh?) Last Halloween I decided to do one of these guys from the SWTOR trailers
    [​IMG]

So I did. Kinda. I don't have any full pics of me in costume, but I didn't do an incredible job anyway. Made it out of foam, rushed it...it looked alright for what it was, but I'm gonna end up doing it over. Anyhow, I recently started work on the mask, because I didn't have time to do the mask for the Halloween party I was attending. More specifically, this mask
    [​IMG]

Or a variant thereof, using my own artistic interpretation. So this is how it went...btw, HUGE shout out to StewYZF750, who was my initial inspiration for this mask in the first place.

I started off by making the face of the mask out of heavy paper
    [​IMG]

Then I needed to make the dome or bell of the mask, but I had no template of any sort, so I made one :lol
    [​IMG]

Haha, that thing hurt when it got cut off of my head...anyway, I used that to make this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I glued those together, then proceeded to paper mache the whole thing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And when it dried, it looked like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Consequently, I'm currently wearing the same shirt as I was in those two photos...

Next came resin and bondo. I didn't take any pics of that process as my hands were constantly messy and didn't want to get my camera dirty. JK, I totally forgot to take pictures. But I'm sure the vast majority of you know exactly what paper with resin looks like, and the same can be said for the bondo. Now, the bondo process didn't turn go perfectly. I had some warping occur and the lower bit of the mouth/chin section is off, but I can deal with that. After bondo was complete, I primered. I did not bondo it again after the primer, as I ended up doing a pretty good job of filling the holes and low spots without it, and I'm not the perfectionist that some of you are lol. Not to mention I knew that many of the imperfections in the mask would be covered by the detail anyway. Which leads me to where I am now. I just finished detailing the mask, so it now looks like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lettering under the left eye (sorry for sideways pic) says MOOSE in the Sith Prophecy font :) (again, StewYZF750 is to blame for this inspiration)

So what I ask of you all now is for suggestions as to what I should do with these blank sections on the top of the head on either side (note those blank spots on the cheeks, those will be dealt with)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should I add something there? Should they be left blank? What do you all think?

Also, what do you think of the project so far? I'm pretty impressed with myself considering it was my first time doing a paper/resin/bondo project. Is it perfect? No. Do I love it so far? Absolutely! Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks for lookin'!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. moose

moose Active Member

Re: Sith Acolyte Mask wip, suggestions

Sorry for double post, but as per my buddy's request I'm putting up what pictures I have of the rest of the costume.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

robe with shoulder pads
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

armor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wearing some of it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

glued to a black rashguard. Must find a better way to attach the pieces...they fell off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the only pic I have from the party. The I'm holding the gauntlets, took off the gloves, and the girl in the corner behind my left shoulder is wearing the robe.
    [​IMG]

Hope you all enjoy. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: please don't judge me for my dirty mirror.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. moose

moose Active Member

No thoughts or suggestions?

4. Deakin Droon

Deakin Droon New Member

That mask is looking pretty sick I'd love to see the finished product!

5. moose

moose Active Member

Many thanks!

It's in the painting stage now, so it won't be long! Got the first coat of matte aluminum on and waiting to dry.

6. StewYZF750

StewYZF750 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shout out, I love to see that you're using the same method I used for the details that I did on mine.

I think the mask looks great right now and for the blank areas it might be worth checking out mywickedarmor's website as he also made a version of that pattern on his mask. I also have a nice image on my PC at home which might help you, I'll have a look when I get home.

7. moose

moose Active Member

Truly your method was pretty much ingenious to me...not to mention infinitely easier than gouging out parts of the bondo. I've actually essentially completed the mask at this point! Paint is done, just need to add some elastic straps and some black mesh for the eyes. I opted not to put anything in those blank areas, as they will be covered by the hood anyway. Call me lazy :p But I actually have seen his website, I think before I ever saw your mask build-up.

Thanks for the kind words!

8. moose

moose Active Member

Welp, it's pretty much done :) all that's left is to black out the eyes and throw on some elastic bands to hold it on my head. Here she blows!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I coated the whole thing in plastidip pre-color, so I simply taped off the cheeks before painting. The base coat is matte aluminum, and I dusted that with a dark metallic spray so that the paint wasn't so bright. It still shines, but not quite like aluminum anymore. The mouth, eyes, red center lines, and black lines were all done with a brush (from which I learned that I could never be the guy that hand-paints pinstripes on automobile paint jobs.)

I'm happy with it! I hope to post more as time goes on, likely the next thing will be a revised armor set. For all who looked and commented, thanks!

9. craden

craden Member

very cool dude! StewYZF750 helped me out when i made my jedu armour from swtor :)

10. JnAStudios

JnAStudios New Member

I love the progress pics of this! Well done, dude!

11. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lookin cool!!!

Chris

12. moose

moose Active Member

Many thanks to you both!!

Make that you three lol

13. Gabranth514

Gabranth514 New Member

What paper mashe recipe did you use?

14. moose

moose Active Member

there really wasn't one particular recipe i used lol. i just squeezed some elmer's school glue into a bowl, then added some water till it got to whatever consistency i needed. simple as that.

15. Moosedan

Moosedan New Member

Looks great! Nice job!

16. moose

moose Active Member

thank you thank you, my fellow moose!

17. Malak

Malak New Member

Hi i wanted to tell you can you make me a sith acolyte costume and how much will you charge me for it please say yes if not can you at lease tell me all the stuff you used to make yours but if you are willing to make me one text me at miguel123rodriguez@me.com or call me at (626)339-2307 and thank you.:)

18. coondog45

coondog45 Member

Looks really good. Keep up the good work.

19. DarthVespula

DarthVespula Member

Hi Moose, I am looking into making an acolyte mask and your steps are very helpful, can you go over what you used for the bondo process, you pretty much skipped over it. Thanks!

20. LowlifeXssassin

LowlifeXssassin New Member

Nice! The detail is amazing. Are you planning on adding any more pieces to the outfit?