Sinned's Hatbox Ghost - 2015 Halloween Child Costume Contest Entry

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Sinned, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

My 8-year-old has decided he wants to be the Hatbox Ghost this year, so it's off to the races, trying to put a costume together in time. We're going for the modern rendition of the character, and recent add to the Haunted Mansion itself.

00-HatboxGhost-Source_zps4r5uihbj.jpg

For his face, I've started sculpting a mask, but not far enough along to be recognizable yet. I'll be posting that progress in the Sculpture forum, at some point. The goal here will be to cast two copies of it: one to be worn, and the other to place in the hatbox.

All the other pieces need to be either purchased, or fabricated as well:

• Gloves -- planning to buy some glow-in-the-dark bone gloves
    • Trench Coat -- hope to find one that can be used
    • Pants -- probably won't do anything special here... skinny, black pants
    • Cape -- will sew
    • Cane -- sculpted
    • Hat -- foam
    • Hatbox -- foam and PETG
    • Shoes -- foam

I'm doing a lot of this for the first time, so hopefully some folks can jump in with pointers along the way!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Re: Hatbox Ghost - Haunted Mansion - WIP

Progress will be a bit manic, as I'm trying to work on a lot of things in parallel.

First thing to start is the cane. It's a little hard to make out the shape of the thing from the available source images, so I guessed a bit. The original design looks like the cane is bent at the top, to form a handle, but the modern design looks more straight, with a knobby bit at the top, so I went with that.

Started with a dowel, cut to cane length, for an 8-year-old. I tapered the bottom a bit on the belt sander, but it probably wasn't all that necessary.

HatboxGhost-Cane-01_zpsv3xmndhg.jpg

This was covered with Free-Form Air, from Smooth-On. That stuff is really light, so makes it perfect for a kid (or anyone else, really) to carry around. It's a little hard to work with for sculpting anything but basic forms, and is really sticky. But smooths well, using just water. I just slapped a bunch on the cane, and squished it around until I was happy with the look, also trying to keep the lower portion thinner, and more plain, and then getting thicker and crazier towards the top.

After letting it cure for a day, it was sanded extensively with both 220 paper, and abrasive mesh wheels on the Dremel. That took a bit of patience, but turned out well. Hockey puck, for scale.

HatboxGhost-Cane-02_zps4jeay0cy.jpg

An eyelet was put in the top, so it could be hung to dry, after painting. First was several coats of black primer. (3M Bondo Hotrod Black Filler Primer)

HatboxGhost-Cane-03_zpsewpnumn0.jpg HatboxGhost-Cane-04_zpsalprlbeb.jpg

Next a base coat of dark brown. I chose to use some camouflage paint... for no particular reason, other than it was a dark brown. The rest of the paint will be done by hand, using acrylics.

HatboxGhost-Cane-05_zpstjnijhqm.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  3. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Looking around for a good top hat pattern was fairly unsuccessful, but I did find a great Flared Top Hat, by Chris Huebert. The pattern is sized for adults, so I printed it, then copied it at 90% on the copy machine.

To help with weight, I made the hat with 1/4" foam. The pattern calls for 8mm (7/16"), but my local supplier doesn't stock that thickness, and 1/2" looked like too much. Honestly, I think 1/4" is better anyway.

Pieces were traced on the foam, and then cut out with a scalpel.

HatboxGhost-Hat-01_zpsztrz1pxv.jpg HatboxGhost-Hat-02_zpsuonygc5v.jpg

I thought the scalpel would hold an edge longer than X-Acto, but that didn't turn out to be the case. Foam is murder on both. However, using the scalpel, I thought it was a little easier to keep a good vertical edge to my cuts.

Assembly of the hat was really simple, and I didn't take any progress pictures. Chris explains the process pretty well, in his YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBD3s2o1X7A

I used contact cement, rather than hot glue, because, well, I have a respirator, and it does a much better job. In my case, Duall #88. No easier to come by than Barge, but the can comes with an integrated brush, so I like it better.

Once everything had dried for a little while, I went over all the seams, and edges, with 220 sandpaper. This removed any cut marks, hard edges, and evened out spots where the edges didn't quite match up. I could have taken it a bit further, but just fixed the worst spots. The lower half of the hat will be wrapped in a cloth band, so I didn't focus on that much.

HatboxGhost-Hat-03_zpsthshursy.jpg HatboxGhost-Hat-04_zpsa3wcm4us.jpg

For the next step: Plasti Dip. I weighed my options for sealing the foam (Epsilon, Modge Podge, etc.), but decided Plasti Dip would be best for this part. I want it to stay flexible a bit.

Before laying down the Plasti Dip, I went over the entire hat with a heat gun, set on 950 or so, just to even out the texture, and knock down any fuzzy parts.

The hat took a full can of the Plasti Dip. The first two coats were put on very light, allowing 20 minutes dry time between. Then 3 or 4 additional coats, a good deal thicker, allowing 45 - 60 minutes between.

You can still see the seams, but I'm happy enough with it.

HatboxGhost-Hat-06_zpsjg8nhker.jpg

I'm planning on brushing on some acrylics to make it a little less boring, but besides that, the cloth band, and glow paint, this thing is done.

*** Note: I sized the hat based on the brim opening, which actually resulted in the hat being too small once assembled. So I'm likely going to have to make the hat again, a little bigger. The bottom part of the flare makes the hat hard to get all the way on. Keep that in mind, if you follow his plans as well. He does mention that the sizes fit a little small, but doesn't mention the flared bottom as being the problem.

Zwilliamo likes this.
  4. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Can't have a hat without a hat box, so that's up next. I'm completely making this up as I go, but a few key points:

It needs to be large enough to accommodate a copy of the mask, have a clear window in front, and also an area in the back to hold candy, as this will double as the Treat Bag. It'll also have some LED lights in it, to light up the mask, when desired, so I'm building in a battery compartment in the bottom.

The top and bottom will be made with 1/2" foam. I'll probably get some thinner fun foam (or whatever they call it at the craft store), to do the border on top, and bottom.

I'll use 1/4" to make the outside, as well as divide the inside of the box into a front and back. The back part will be for candy.

Planning on making the window in front out of .040 PETG.

The handle will probably also be foam.

Starting out, the top and bottom were cut. The top piece is 12" in diameter, and the bottom is 10". I'm not sure what the real measurements are, but these seemed to be about the maximum I could reasonably go, and still have a kid be able to carry it.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-01_zpsyua42doa.jpg

The bottom of the box is pretty thick, so I cut three of the bottom pieces, and they'll get glued together with Duall. But, before that, the battery compartment had to be cut. I re-purposed the middle, which was cut out of the round pattern, to make a pattern for the battery compartment. It's much larger than it needs to be, for no particular reason.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-06_zps41purutx.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-02_zpsdz9ktx3b.jpg

After gluing all three layers, I ran the edge against the belt sander, to even everything out. Yes, I launched it across my garage a few times. Have to be really careful, it catches easily!

The "cover" fits in pretty snug, but I'll be adding some magnets, to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-03_zpssjrpfodr.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-04_zpshkruqana.jpg

So, now the dilemma: how to make the sides! I'm still not sure how that's going to work. But here's how the top and bottom will kind of look. It looks a little weird here, the top isn't that much bigger than the bottom.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-05_zpsgcw4ztfy.jpg

5. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

A few questions, if anyone happens along, before I make more progress:

I'm just not sure how to make the sides of the hatbox, and get the foam to work properly, at the proper angle. And also incorporate the plastic window, appropriately curved as well. Any thoughts?

Also...Paint. I'm back and forth on how I want to handle all this. From the pictures, it looks like the character, himself, glows standard glow-in-the-dark green, and the rest more of a blue.

Thoughts on best glowing paint to use, for both different colors?

I've been reading up a lot on glow paints, and I've found some that looks like it works well, but everyone says it has to go on pretty thick, and I'm not sure that'll give the look I want then. Also, what's the best way to apply it to the clothing?

6. Grimwood

Grimwood Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! This is great work! I've always wanted to make a tophat, but my results have been much much less than epic. :) Keep up the great work!

7. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Thanks, Grimwood!

All credit to the pattern I used for the hat; it made things really easy. :) Best $6 I've spent in a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  8. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

A little more progress on the hatbox. Decided to make the lid portion a double layer as well, so that there could be inserts to cover the holes. More patterns!

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-07_zpsfsyke3xa.jpg

The the existing top piece was cut to have larger holes, and then a second top piece cut, with smaller holes. These will give decent access to the inside of the hatbox. The front section just needs to open enough to allow setting in the hatbox face mask, then the cover will just sit in place. I'll have to do something with the rear cover, to make it a little easier to remove, so it can be used for candy access.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-08_zpskopdoff5.jpg

I thought I'd keep the inserts in the top piece when I glued he two halves together, to help it keep its shape, but it was really hard to see how things were positioned, so I actually removed them, before putting the pieces together.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-09_zpswo4l7k88.jpg

Once they were set in place, the assembly took a ride on the belt sander. This does a really good job of evening out those edges. I didn't catch some of the deeper parts, but for the most part, the edges are about as good as I could ask. They're going to be covered with a trim piece anyway.

And yes, the sander played Frisbee, several times, with this one as well. Arrrg!

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-10_zpsvrpwmtrq.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-11_zpspohbgwp8.jpg

One thing I started worrying about last night is, how to travel with this thing?
    We're taking it to Disney in October, and it definitely won't fit in our suitcase.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  9. Grimwood

Grimwood Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ship it ahead of you? You can deliver it to whatever hotel you're staying at. Call them and ask if they offer a hold service.

Looking great!

Sinned likes this.
  10. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

I think that's currently my plan. :)

11. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Re: Hatbox Ghost Costume - Haunted Mansion - WIP

Jumped back over to the cane last night, to make it pop a bit.

The starting point was from the Camouflage Brown base, since I didn't post a picture of that before.

HatboxGhost-Cane-06_zps2ierqyis.jpg

Red/Blue/Yellow were mixed to get a lighter, earthy brown, which was a little more than dry-brushed on. More of a moist-brush, to cover most of the darker color, except in the deepest recesses.

HatboxGhost-Cane-07_zpsebezg0xf.jpg

I mixed up quite a bit of the first color, in order to use it through the whole process. So, using the first color, some yellow was added, to lighten it up just a bit. Again, slightly more of a wet-brush, than dry-brush, went over most of it again.

HatboxGhost-Cane-08_zpsu9jmq6rj.jpg

Using the same paint, white was mixed in, to lighten it considerably. This time, going over lightly, with a dryer brush.

HatboxGhost-Cane-09_zpssezxi8rg.jpg

Finally, one more time, same paint, add more white, and go over the highest points. Flash makes it look much brighter than it really is, so a picture with, and without:

HatboxGhost-Cane-10_zpszvtbpw0o.jpg HatboxGhost-Cane-11_zpsgo2y3f0a.jpg

I do think I took it slightly too far, but that's okay, because I'll go back tonight, and knock it back down some with washes.

Doing it again, I think I would have gone a more blue/brown, to wind up with a blue/gray, more sun-bleached look. As it is here, I think I effectively recreated a Real Fake Wood look. haha

After washes are done, I'm contemplating different methods of adding glow-in-the-dark effect to it. I'm not happy with most of the paints, so I think I might try mixing Glow-Worm in some Smooth-Cast 325, and brushing it over the high points. Then coming back and spraying the whole thing with Flat Clear, to eliminate the "resin shine".

Thoughts on that approach?

12. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Back with a glow-in-the-dark substance test. I tried 5 different products, and there are definitely some things to think about here.

Left to right: SolarColorDust (violet), Glow Worm (blue-green), Glow Inc. (pure blue), Glow Inc. (ultra green), Rust-Oleum

HatboxGhost-Supplies-04_zpsddp6f8qd.jpg

SolarColorDust
    Mixed 1:1:1 with smooth-cast 325
    This is a violet color, so a bit dim to begin with, but it's a non-starter... it just doesn't work.

Glow Worm
    Mixed 1:1:1 with smooth-cast 325
    I wish it wasn't so white with the application, but it works incredibly well

Glow Inc. (blue)
    This is a pre-mixed paint
    It dries relatively clear, but doesn't glow very well
    The right side of this stripe has 2 coats

Glow Inc. (green)
    It dries relatively clear, and gives Glow Worm a run for its money

Rust-Oleum
    It dries relatively clear, and glows a bit

Of course, all useless without the glow test results. None of them really showed up with less than a 1 second exposure.

4 second exposure
    HatboxGhost-Supplies-05_zpsaxf0isww.jpg

10 second exposure
    HatboxGhost-Supplies-06_zpsesxtoft6.jpg

Glow Worm clearly wins for glow. But it isn't as "blue" as I'd hoped. It is also quite visible, when the resin cures. This might be alleviated by lowering the mix ratio, maybe 1:1:.5

I need both blue, and green. And the Glow Inc. "green" certainly works for green.

Really wish the Glow Inc. "blue" worked better, because it really does have a good blue tint to it. Just not very bright, which I understand comes with that color, but still a bit disappointing.
    I might try adding a few more coats, to see if it helps.

Zwilliamo likes this.
  13. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Back to the hatbox.

Thinking more on how the side of the box will attach, and wrap around, it became clear I needed one more set of patterns for the top and bottom parts. These need to be 1/4" smaller (radius) than the regular top and bottom pieces. This will allow the side piece to sit somewhat even to the top and bottom.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-12_zpsv5dldrt1.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-13_zpshi6vg4y6.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-18_zpsv0rd5efo.jpg

Next, adding in a couple of magnets for the bottom compartment cover (somebody cue ICP). Holes were "cut" into the pieces using a Dremel, with grinding stone bit. I didn't take a picture of the one I used, but it had a bit of a recess in the top, which caused the middle of the hole to not grind down. Looking around a bit more, I found another one, which didn't have the recess. It still didn't get everything, but did a better job. I finally scraped out some of the final excess, with an x-acto knife. Magnets were secured in place with some 5 minute epoxy. They work great!

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-14_zpsqdhgdpkj.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-15_zpsra2dikmy.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-16_zpsn3rznkdw.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-17_zpsrtjz59m5.jpg

NOW FOR SOME SERIOUS CRAZY...

...getting the correct piece made for the side.

At first I thought I could take the circumference of the top, and the circumference of the bottom, draw a trapezoid, and cut it out. Nope. That won't produce the correct shape. It actually has to be a section of a large circle. So a cone shape, unrolled. A little more difficult than I thought. But I found a good source that explained the math. I won't recreate it here, but if interested: http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.05/nick1.html

Using the information there, I worked through the math to figure out the measurements, based on my numbers.
    Top diameter: 12"
    Bottom diameter: 10"
    Desired height of the side piece (measured on angle): 9.5"

Given all that, I found I needed:
    2 concentric circles, one with a 57" radius, and one with a 47.5" radius
    And then of that, I only needed a small section of it

So, I laid out about as much paper as I thought I'd need, and fetched a giant compass. I drew as much of the circles as my paper would allow, and then cut out a large portion of it. This was wrapped around the top and bottom of the hatbox, to get an approximate length needed. This was transferred to 1/4" foam, and cut out.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-19_zpssiepbmnu.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-20_zpsjczqtf7r.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-21_zps0m0jvvdw.jpg

Shew! And it actually fit just about right.

14. ChickenHaunt

ChickenHaunt Well-Known Member

Cool build. Looking forward to the final product.

15. SchubroProductions

SchubroProductions Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loving this build. I think the Glow Worm gives a great blue tint and is similar to both the ride and the artwork I've seen.

16. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Ack, sorry, missed some replies. Thanks guys! Coming along slow, but sure. Should have some more updates later this week. I'm definitely going with the Glow Worm at this point. I used it for another project (Evil Queen Poison Apple), and it's perfect.

Current update, I finally finished the sculpture for the mask, and head in the hatbox itself. One will be cast with Glow Worm Green, and the other with either Glow Worm Blue, or some UV reactive stuff. Depends on if I will have time to put electronics in the hatbox. My thought is, I can put in UV LEDs, and then press a button, to make him show up.

For the sculpture work: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=247390&p=3771189&viewfull=1#post3771189

17. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Hatbox Ghost face mold, and trial castings done. 5 different versions have been cast up, each with a different glow additive, all using Smooth-Cast 65D.

First batch is what I'll be choosing from, as they're going to work the best.

Left to right: Cryptolyte UV Glow Additive, Glow Worm - Blue, Glow Worm - Green

First picture - normal light
    Second picture - UV light
    Third picture - no light, 4 second exposure

I really like how the Cryptolyte looks. It's a great shade of white in normal light, and then glows a cool blue, under UV light. However it doesn't glow at all on it's own. This actually works well for the face which goes in the hatbox. It can have some UV lights pointed at it, and then a switch can be turned on to make it appear/disappear. Could use the same for the mask as well, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to have a bunch of UV lights pointed at your face(?). edit- just read up on it a bit, definitely not something that should be pointed at your eyes often.

For the Glow Worm versions, I think I like the blue the best. Kind of a bummer, since I bought way more of the green powder, than blue.

HatboxGhost-sculpt-40_zpswpip2y5z.jpg HatboxGhost-sculpt-41_zpsawbdcbsb.jpg HatboxGhost-sculpt-42_zpseegbmgtx.jpg

Second batch were a neat test, but I don't think I'll use either of them for the costume. These are again 65D, but this time using Ignite Fluorescent Color Pigments.

Left: Blue
    Right: Green

First picture - normal light
    Second picture - UV light

These don't glow on their own, so no picture without light; it'd just be black. :)

Pretty neat effect under UV light, but their color is way to strong under normal light.

HatboxGhost-sculpt-43_zps9hayqbjp.jpg HatboxGhost-sculpt-44_zpspwkt9jpl.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Zwilliamo likes this.
  18. ChickenHaunt

Some really good info in all these UV tests you've been doing! Really looking forward to seeing how this costume turns out!

Sinned likes this.
  19. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Back to the cane, and time to put the glow paint tests to work.

First, here's the final base paint of the cane. It barely fit in my lightbox, so the angle isn't ideal, but gives an idea.

HatboxGhost-Cane-05_zpsfzdha9gt.jpg

Better picture of the detail

HatboxGhost-Cane-07_zpsfs1vevla.jpg

Last night, it was time for final the final effect, which lended itself to painting by black light. Fun!

For the paint, I rolled my own, using a bunch of different stuff:

1 fl oz. Liquitex gloss medium/varnish
    1/2 fl oz. GlowWorm blue powder
    1/4 fl oz. Liquitex airbrush medium (to thin a bit)
    2 drops of Cryptolyte UV glow.

HatboxGhost-Cane-06_zpsioxt8u0q.jpg

The result of this step left the cane with a pretty rough texture, due to the glow powder. If you sand it, it'll ruin the glow effect, so just giving it several coats of clear instead, to help knock that back a little bit.

I also ended up brushing on a bit much in a few spots, so will give everything a final brown wash, when all done.

20. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Sinned's Hatbox Ghost - 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Beautiful work. Good luck!

Sinned likes this.
  21. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Back to work on the hat tonight. Also wrapped up sewing, but more on that later.

I did have to go back and make another hat, since the first wound up just slightly too small. This time I took the original plans, and only reduced them to 95% rather than 90, and then the largest size fit perfect. Same process as before, just now a different hat. Although, this time I (carefully) sanded the whole thing with my variable-speed random orbit sander, on the slowest setting. Worked really good for evening out edges between pieces. But murder on my wrist, and arm. Haha!

Using some leftover material from one of his capes , I threw together a hatband (yes, plural, I made two capes... again, more on that later). It's 2" wide, and just held in place with a loop I made from the same material.

HatboxGhost-Hat-07_zpsqxm9kzg9.jpg

So this is fine and all, but it looks a bit too new, and not very Hatbox Ghosty. To solve that, headed outside with some light grey primer I had laying around.

HatboxGhost-Hat-08_zpsxr2ck2mn.jpg

This was lightly misted on from about 16" away, just to age it up a bit. Some of it stuck, and some of it just wound up as dust on the surface; I wiped most of that off. Going for older, but not completely dusty, and neglected.

Once that was done, I went over the whole thing with a mixture of Createx Matte airbrush medium, thinned considerably, plus 1 drop of Cryptolyte UV glow additive. Just to give it a little bit of a boost in blue color, should he wander under a black light. This worked okay on the hat itself, but kind of just stuck to some fuzzy fibers on the fabric, which is a little annoying. Luckily, the overall effect was okay.

Normal light / Black-light

HatboxGhost-Hat-09_zpsuuzup5hz.jpg HatboxGhost-Hat-10_zpsxhgle3f3.jpg

The black-light makes everything look blue, so it's kind of hard to tell, but the Cryptolyte does have a subtle effect on the overall look.

Zwilliamo likes this.
  22. cashmere14

cashmere14 New Member

This is a great to follow, Im in Seattle too and if you have any extra items for sale after please let me know.

Can't wait to see the finished product

Sinned likes this.
  23. Zwilliamo

Zwilliamo Member

I am a huge fan of the hatbox ghost and can't wait to see the full costume! Too bad the effects from the ride can't be implemented into the costume, haha.
    Keep up the great work, it's a real pleasure following this thread. Hopefully we get good weather here in Washington for Halloween so the costume can get shown off!

Sinned likes this.
  24. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Yeah, I was beyond thrilled when the little dude said, "so, Dad, I want to be the Hatbox Ghost this year, can we do that?." :D

Definitely hoping for good weather in WA this year as well. We're actually headed to do early Halloween in Disneyland next week, going to be plenty warm there. Hope I get everything done!

@cashmere14 I may end up doing a few extra masks, if there's interest.

@Zwilliamo we actually did talk about some ways to integrate the actual ride effect, but didn't go down that road long. I can't do computer animation, otherwise it may have been a go. Could have put an iPad in the hatbox, and then figured out something to do the same for his face. I'm hoping to go the poor man's route though, using some UV light trickery.

Zwilliamo likes this.
  25. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Back to more glow in the dark stuff tonight; making his skeleton suit.

At first, I was going to just get some black stretch pants, and black shirt, but the closer I looked at some of the reference photos, the Hatbox Ghost actually has visible bones, so I had to adjust the plan a bit.

I couldn't find a decent looking skeleton body suit, which also glowed in the dark. Well, there was one, but it was too large. There are several other options out there, but most of them have cheesy-looking 3D bones, or just "general bone shape" glowing bits, so I settled on the best non-glow in the dark one, which actually has decent bone definition, and form.

But, of course, this means I have to roll the glow myself. Soooo glad I did all those glow tests early! It's a bit more work, but actually works out much better than the ones which already glow. I get the benefit of better shapes, as well as full control of the glow effect. i.e. instead of a "too perfect" solid green glow, I can get a more random, and varied glow.

This time:

3/4 fl. oz. Createx Transparent Medium
    1/4 fl. oz. Glow Worm Green powder

HatboxGhost-Clothes-04_zpsskupmfmz.jpg

Mixing Glow Worm with acrylic paint really works exceedingly well. And a nice thing about the Createx is, it requires heat to fully cure, so this way, it stays really flexible on fabric. I'm hoping it'll survive wearing on a spandex garment this way. Luckily, it's still slightly big on him, so shouldn't stretch much.

HatboxGhost-Clothes-05_zpspwlvili4.jpg

Really didn't get too fancy with trying to control the paint, it just naturally created brighter and darker spots, based on how the powder moved around in the paint suspension. So they aren't truly shaded, but I ended up getting a hint of it, for free. I mainly just made sure there weren't any obvious streaks in a single direction, and otherwise let it go however it went. It actually created a pretty good bone texture, all on its own.

The process was greatly aided by using a hand-held black-light flashlight. Using that, even with other lights on in the room, you can see exactly where the color is going. (however, this turned out to be fairly difficult to get a good picture of!)

HatboxGhost-Clothes-06_zpsurbyisc9.jpg HatboxGhost-Clothes-07_zpsfnytcntz.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  26. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Finally getting to a bit on the main pieces of clothing. The original plan was to make a cape, but buy a trench coat. After some looking (actually, not all that much), I decided that wasn't the way to go, and needed to make one of those too.

I've been time-crunched all along, and realized early I'd taken on a bit much. So, I enlisted a friend to work on the coat for me, while I'd still take care of the cape. That was a little interesting, because she lives several hundred miles away, in Canada. So we did a lot of "sure hope this fits!" Anyway, this turned out to be a great decision, because I ended up deciding to make 2 versions of each piece. Mentioned earlier, I realized that the Hatbox Ghost has visible, glowing bones, so to show that off, I needed translucent clothing. But, it also gets fairly cold in Seattle, so wanted to have a warmer option, just in case.

So we made 2 capes, and 2 trench coats: one with black chiffon, and another with a heavier, black, cotton fabric.

For the cape, I used two different patterns. One of them was designed not to have a liner, so worked great for the chiffon, but wanted something lined, for the regular fabric version. So I found another pattern, intended as a vampire(?) cape, but left off the embellishments, and also the bat-wing-looking bits at the bottom. For both patterns, I also modified the collar, to make it higher. I think I still ended up not going big enough, but it'll do.

The first pattern is pretty old, and I found it on Etsy, I think. The second pattern is fairly new, but found it on sale, at the fabric store, for like $2.99.

HatboxGhost-Clothes-01_zpshwsxctw3.jpg HatboxGhost-Clothes-02_zps3vv45qcd.jpg

For the trench coat, my friend found a pattern which looks really close to the Hatbox Ghost version, but is intended for what looks to be a George Washington costume. Haha!
    She altered it a bit to use fewer, and larger buttons, as well as moving the pockets. She used the same pattern to make both versions. Honestly, I have no idea how she sewed that with the chiffon, but damned if she didn't do an awesome job, and in less time than it took me to even cut out all my cape material!

HatboxGhost-Clothes-03_zpsbllefplj.jpg

Pictures of finished pieces forthcoming, just tidying up a few things.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  27. TeresaMRoberts

TeresaMRoberts Well-Known Member

I'm LOVING this costume! I'm entering my son and daughter in the contest to. We'll be in Disney world next week, and doing Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I'm waiting to get good pictures of them in their costumes (and of me in mine) before I enter the contest. Mine are Belle and Prince Adam Electrical Light Parade Inspired costumes :) Good Luck!! Can't wait to see if finished!

Sinned likes this.
  28. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Oh, cool! Anxious to see what those look like. I'm really digging the "light up" costumes this year. :)

We were at DW for the Not So Scary Party party a few years ago, and it was awesome! We'll be in DisneyLAND next week for the party (same thing, but the DW parade is WAY better). I'll wave at you from the sister park, across the country. :D

TeresaMRoberts likes this.
  29. Zwilliamo

Zwilliamo Member

I managed to finally get time to go down to Disneyland for the Halloween event this year, it was pretty awesome! I didn't have much time to make a Disney themed costume, maybe next year I'll try for something more than generic pirate. The Halloween party there should be a great debut for this costume!

Sinned likes this.
  30. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Jumping back to the resin casts, wrapped those up last night. At least, for the initial go. I'm going to change a few things up for Halloween proper, but I'm out of time for wearing at Disney. Still have to assemble and paint the hatbox!

One cast is going to be worn as a mask (though, doubtful he can wear it much around Disneyland), and the other will just sit in the hatbox, for eye candy.

I did the paint first, but will describe that in a second.

The Hatbox Ghost has some hair, which is different across the reference photos I have. In some of the older pictures, it looks like hair stuffed under, or attached to, the hat. In some of the others, and certainly in the newer ones, it looks more like it's along the sides of his head. So I compromised, and glued hair somewhat towards the top of his head, and had it lay down on either side. Ended up going a little too long with it, but that's okay.

Didn't buy hair specifically for this, but had a wig laying around, which I used for my Immortan Joe costume last Halloween (yes, I was a year ahead on that one, and nobody knew who I was. Oops! :)). It's actually a very cheap Gandalf wig, obtained via Amazon last year.

HatboxGhost-sculpt-49_zpsqv3vrnn1.jpg

Since the wig is pretty long, I figured I could get 2 wefts of hair, from a single gather, so tied some thread in two spots, and cut away. This turned out to not work so well. The first cut, which included the original wig ends was fine, but then cutting the other side next to the wig netting didn't look so great. It looked too unnatural, having so many hairs being the same length. So after this first trial, I did all the others by gathering up a bit, tying it off with thread once, and then just keeping the piece with the natural ends.

HatboxGhost-sculpt-50_zpsperigbdc.jpg

The thread was just a helper to keep the hair from going everywhere right after cutting. So to really hold it in place better, the cut end was covered with hot glue. Also ran it down, and around the thread. This does a pretty good job of holding all the hair in place. Some of it still pulls out, but way better than just leaving the thread alone.

HatboxGhost-sculpt-51_zpsxbfomhv9.jpg

Finally, these were glued to both of the casts, somewhat pig-tail style. Reminds me of Red, from Fraggle Rock, from this view.

Also, if you look close at this picture, you'll see 3 saw-tooth picture hangers. These are there for attaching straps to the mask. Just a little trick I use for all my masks; it works wonderfully.

HatboxGhost-sculpt-52_zpsmgrnevbl.jpg

Once these were set in place, I went back with a mixture of Createx Transparent Base, mixed with Glow Worm, and streaked it through the hair. Probably should have worn a glove when I did it, but where's the fun in that? It was pretty cool watching all this swirl down the drain, when I washed my hands off.

HatboxGhost-sculpt-53_zpsuopingdz.jpg

For the paint... My airbrush is driving me absolutely insane, but after a bunch of * with it, I was at least able to get something passable on these. Did some simple shading, with a dark grey, then hand brushed around the eyes, lips, and teeth with pure black. The one tooth is Golden brand, gold paint. Finally, the eyeballs are an iris with Golden shading grey, and then a pure black pupil. Actually excited how the eyes turned out. Although they're not perfectly circular, they almost have a real look to them.

The mask version has the eyes, and nose cut out, as well as an area in the mouth.

Ideally, these would both be the same color, but since they're likely not the true Halloween versions, I'm not going to worry about that right now. So, one mask is blue, the other green. I like the blue better.

Hatbox version:

HatboxGhost-sculpt-45_zpslbwsjegs.png HatboxGhost-sculpt-46_zpsdlbb89wu.png

Mask version:

HatboxGhost-sculpt-47_zpswevmgmdz.png HatboxGhost-sculpt-48_zps6gnppjba.png

They ended up looking a little too much skull-like, but I'm still happy with them.

Zwilliamo likes this.
  31. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Okay, time to wrap this up! Lots happened since the last post. I had to get everything finished before we headed to Disneyland, so didn't get any further updates here. I ignored stuff for a week or so after getting back, just because I needed a break. Here are some final build pictures.

I didn't take a picture of the capes, but they look like a cape. Rounding out the clothing, I decided not to make shoe covers, to make more "hatbox-looking" shoes. It just wasn't worth the time. Going full completionist, I probably should, but pretty sure the only person who'd notice, is me. Who looks at kids' shoes, unless they're the crazy, blinky type? :)

First picture is the cold weather option, with thicker overcoat. This ended up being entirely unnecessary, even here in Seattle; the costume, as a whole, was pretty warm.
    Second two pictures are the chiffon version. It is a pretty delicate piece of clothing, had to repair it a few times already, but it's perfect.

HatboxGhost-Clothes-11_zpsul64h5ok.jpg HatboxGhost-Clothes-09_zpspcd5gcmf.jpg HatboxGhost-Clothes-10_zpsstfsijre.jpg

And, finishing the hatbox.

The side piece I cut was intentionally too long, as I wasn't sure how much I'd need. I temporarily pinned it in place on the top and bottom box pieces, to determine how much I wanted to use. Then, in true over-engineering fashion, found the angle I needed, and cut to length (knew this giant bevel gauge would come in handy some day).

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-21a_zpsxztzpcqk.jpg

Next up, the box needed a handle, so it was off to the 3D printer. It's not as fancy as the one on the real hatbox, but serves the purpose well. I printed two, just in case.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-22_zpsgxfiypio.jpg

Not thinking ahead, I didn't design bolt holes into the object itself, so had to drill them after. And, honestly, this works better anyway, since it would have complicated printing, and I actually didn't know what size screws I was going to use.

Once I had my hardware, I did some measuring, and then figured out the best placement on the handle. Put some green tape on there, for easier measuring, and marking. The corners of the handle are all curved, so the tape gave a good hard edge to measure against.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-23_zpsr2g8fn5c.jpg

The holes were transferred to the top of the hatbox, and those drilled as well.

*********** Brief Sidebar ************

Several of my decisions, from this point, had to do with ease of travel, and also storage down the road, as well as some design changes to make things overall more practical. A few key points:

• Everything needs to be easily disassembled
    • No longer splitting the inside in half, to store candy in the back-- there ended up not being much space, plus the hatbox head needed to be centered, to make this thing easier to carry (weight balancing)
    • Not adding a PETG window...just not necessary
    • Not adding outside trim (this was a "not enough time" decision, but really, few folks will notice the omission
    • Not using UV lighting, as the regular glow-in-the-dark skull gives a good effect, and just one less thing to go wrong :)

*********** Brief Sidebar ************

The handle was attached with machine screws, washers, and wingnuts.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-25_zpsth9jzby7.jpg HatboxGhost-Hatbox-24_zps8sjiwzcv.jpg

Something similar was done on the bottom, to secure a bracket assembly, to hold the hadbox head. More on that in a minute.

At this point, everything was disassembled, so the foam could be coated. I initially thought I'd use an epoxy coating, but not liking how it worked on a different project, I went the same direction as the hat, and used plastidip.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-26_zpsbsgcycmg.jpg

I really liked how using straight pins worked for temporarily holding the side piece in place, so decided to use that as my actual attachment mechanism, rather than glue. This allows the thing to be fully taken apart again, and also, kind of added to the look. Didn't take pictures of them, but just inserted a 1.5 inch standard, straight pin, every couple of inches, all the way around. I think this made things easier to assemble, vs. using contact cement anyway.

After fully assembled, I dusted the whole thing with gray primer, like the hat, to dull it down a little. Also, some of the glow paint was used on the outside.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-29_zpspy6ismu5.jpg

Inside the hatbox, an acrylic base, with some pvc end caps was secured in place. Again, with machine screws, washers, and wingnuts. The washers and wingnuts are hidden in what was supposed to be the battery compartment.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-28_zpsuorloovf.jpg

The hatbox head was secured on a PVC assembly, using zip ties, run through the picture hangers, glued to the inside of the mask.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-27_zpsif8neor0.jpg

And this was then placed in the base, to complete the hatbox.

HatboxGhost-Hatbox-30_zps1afmlift.jpg

And that completes the costume build!

32. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Turns out it's surprisingly difficult to get good glow-in-the-dark costume pictures! But, here are a bunch, of the end result.

Outside the gates, at Disneyland:

HatboxGhost-Final-03_zpswphvqled.jpg

In front of The Haunted Mansion itself:

HatboxGhost-Final-01_zpsgxyo1sss.jpg HatboxGhost-Final-02_zpsn9j0nx2r.jpg

And the final requisite photos... unfortunately, I didn't lower my backdrop close enough to the ground, but oh well :) :

HatboxGhost-Final-04_zpsspkdvrry.jpg HatboxGhost-Final-05_zpsyxpcrn9p.jpg

HatboxGhost-Final-06_zpsq40e1njy.jpg HatboxGhost-Final-07_zpsz9d1ajhy.jpg

Finally, just for fun, video!

[video]https://vimeo.com/user420187/thehatboxghost[/video]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    DRG and Zwilliamo like this.
  33. Zwilliamo

Zwilliamo Member

It turned out great! Hopefully the lines weren't too bad while at Disneyland.

Sinned likes this.
  34. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was definitely quite pleased with the result, and we had a lot of fun with it.

The lines at Disney were atrocious, but still better than being at work. :D

Zwilliamo likes this.
  35. ChickenHaunt

Turned out great!

36. sundevilfanaz

sundevilfanaz Jr Member

A truly amazing costume and accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk