Simple question - What paint can be used on resin?

Scarecrow

I need to paint a resin prop. All I need it a small jar of paint. Any suggestions? Where to buy in the USA?

Thanks. :thumbsup

Any paint can be used. And it can be found anywhere.

The best stuff is automotive urethane and it is expensive. You can find some at Napa auto parts stores.

Don't use any paints. Enamels or Urethanes (automotive grade paints) can cause fisheyes. When painting resins you want to stick with acrylics or anything waterbased.
You can get it at Walmarts, and Hobby store that sells model car kits, or even some craft stores.

Any hobby paint, any where you can find it.
Hobby thinner based enamels, water based acrylics such as all Testors or Model Masters paints are fine. Craft store paints are great too.
Just use a good primer like Krlyon or even Walmarts brand of primer which I use pretty much exclusivly with never a problem, underneith what ever you use.
I have painted 30+ resin kits over the years and never had a problem short of haveing uncured resin causing paint problems.

Lynn

Originally posted by combatser@Feb 5 2006, 10:02 AM
Don't use any paints.  Enamels or Urethanes (automotive grade paints) can cause fisheyes.  When painting resins you want to stick with acrylics or anything waterbased.
You can get it at Walmarts, and Hobby store that sells model car kits, or even some craft stores.
[snapback]1176453[/snapback]​
OK???
I guess the hundreds of resin models I build over the years using plastkoe and Dupicolor auto paints fisheyed...woops.

Really...Prime and paint...auto paints are great.... Water base paints work great over them also.
Dean

Yep, never had a problem with them either.

The fish eyes where more then likely caused by poor cleaning of mold release on the resin casting.
Lynn

Originally posted by Dymerski+Feb 5 2006, 02:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dymerski @ Feb 5 2006, 02:00 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-combatser
@Feb 5 2006, 10:02 AM
Don't use any paints.  Enamels or Urethanes (automotive grade paints) can cause fisheyes.  When painting resins you want to stick with acrylics or anything waterbased.
OK???
I guess the hundreds of resin models I build over the years using plastkoe and Dupicolor auto paints fisheyed...woops.

Really...Prime and paint...auto paints are great.... Water base paints work great over them also.
Dean
[snapback]1176653[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well there is one benefit to using Acrylics over the automotive Dean, and that's the lack of fumes.. Acrylics can be used indoors without having to worry about the fumes making others in the house sick....

Originally posted by Aegis159+Feb 6 2006, 09:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis159 @ Feb 6 2006, 09:48 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Dymerski@Feb 5 2006, 02:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-combatser
@Feb 5 2006, 10:02 AM

OK???

Dean
[snapback]1176653[/snapback]​

Well there is one benefit to using Acrylics over the automotive Dean, and that's the lack of fumes.. Acrylics can be used indoors without having to worry about the fumes making others in the house sick....
[snapback]1177518[/snapback]​
[/b]

I have a large homemade spray booth, but you are right waterbase is great... but not as durable

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back