Sillicone and Spandex

Hazmat

Has anyone tried getting a rubbery, more comic book look to spandex by spreading sillicone caulking (or any other kind of sillicone) over the spandex? I had the Idea after getting some caulking on my work pants and noticed once I got home that it had nice rubbery texture.

If I get the chance I'll try it out, in the mean time though I was wondering if anyone has tried this. Combined with puff painting it might be possible to get some pretty wicked effects.

I have tried it and it deffinatly gives a more rubbery feel but with caulk it will be heavily textured and bumpy and some other silicones just leak through the spandex and cause problems before it fully cures. I would say find a very watery silicone and with a brush just put a very thin layer all over the spandex and then let it dry. If you have the spandex on a hand or head form or manikin then you don't have to do such a thin layer but if it's just to get a rubbery feel the deffinatly a very thin layer of watery silicone everywhere. But make sure everything is covered but still a very thin layer. Hope this helps and good luck!

Ps. Nothing sticks to silicone except silicone and Iv never tried puffy paint but I doubt it will stick to silicone. For more 3D effects with the silicone I recommend 100% silicone caulk 1, not 2. It will say 1 or 2 (l, ll) on the tube. To get the desired color for the silicone without buying expensive silicone paints, buy white silicone caulk and mix to your liking with only OIL paints. Not acrylic. You don't need to mix much paint in either, a little actually goes a long way in this case and the more paint to silicone ratio the weaker the silicone caulk gets. So just a little paint will do. Once again, good luck! You can check out my silicone venom mask on my page and my "test" 100% silicone 1 caulk venom gloves!

Ps. Nothing sticks to silicone except silicone and Iv never tried puffy paint but I doubt it will stick to silicone. For more 3D effects with the silicone I recommend 100% silicone caulk 1, not 2. It will say 1 or 2 (l, ll) on the tube. To get the desired color for the silicone without buying expensive silicone paints, buy white silicone caulk and mix to your liking with only OIL paints. Not acrylic. You don't need to mix much paint in either, a little actually goes a long way in this case and the more paint to silicone ratio the weaker the silicone caulk gets. So just a little paint will do. Once again, good luck! You can check out my silicone venom mask on my page and my "test" 100% silicone 1 caulk venom gloves!

I'm confused- did you actually make your silicone mask? Based on Lunaman's comments, it sounds like it's a commercially made mask.

I think he is just talking about the gloves he made on his thread not the mask, but if he is saying that he made the mask too, then we have a problem

Correct, I made the gloves but the mask I did not make. I bought the mask from a place called cfx which is in partnership of the place I work called Reynolds advanced materials. The mask is amazing and the crew at cfx is teaching me how to make masks like the venom one I bought from them!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back