Silicone Quills.

Usurper

Quills are a pain in the arse, i have never been happy with either the latex, or bake n bend types available. So i reached out to several companies about getting some SILICONE quills made.

1 company out of 6 were able to help, and today sent me 3 samples, i have to say these are perfect IMO, i have discussed a price point with them, and for my silicone mask i think i am looking about £20-£25 for 50 quills. which is acceptable in my opinion anyway.

so i just thought i would show these here rather than bump my thread, i have asked about the material itself being for sale, and they are going to get back to me on that.

anyway , here is a pic and a slow mo video showing the flexibility of them.

DSCF0125.jpg

Those quills look so right.......but that video looks sooo wrong lol......the bow chicka wowow music would make it worse lol

in uk go to a shop called wilkinsons and search for a pastry brush. Its made of silicon and its long. You get about 50 quills from each brush and are very bendy. All for the large sum of £1.

get it and well worth it

in uk go to a shop called wilkinsons and search for a pastry brush. Its made of silicon and its long. You get about 50 quills from each brush and are very bendy. All for the large sum of £1.

get it and well worth it
Dude.....I know you mean well....but these quills are NOT for a budget build.....pastry brush quills are fine, but they are not an entirely acurate shape.
To be advising long time members that are not asking for advise can also come across a little patronising, so it might be an idea to keep comments like that for budget build threads or threads from people that are actually asking for advise like that.

they look awesome Lee ..what I like is that while they have great flex, they have much more rigidity then most small pieces of silicone would normally have ..I'd say a perfect addition to your suit

Those are great. Can they make an in different durometers? (spellcheck)

If one was to want them slighty stiffer and not so stringy?

I love how you can stretch those bastards way out and they dont rip! The more I see about this silicone stuff the more I think about taking the million dollar plunge!

Gene, they are pretty much perfect as they are, trust me they do not sag when at a angle,and as these are too long when cut down they will no wiggle quite as much.
having said that i think the silicone they use dictates the stiffness, he promised to get back to me tomorrow before midday after our phone call today. so i shoule have alittle more info then i guess.

Surprise today , they sent me a sample of the silicone compound to try myself with instructions.

I managed to make approx 30 quills out of it, the type of silicone they have is apparently getting finished soon, so tomorrow i am going to phone them and see how much they have and if i can buy it.

These look great, being silicone, how would they be attached to a skin or mask? I didn't think anything stuck to silicone.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back