Silicone mask

Nectar77

I am new to mask making and would like to make a silicone mask. What kind of silicone should I use. Also what should I use for the mold? Thank you.

Ecoflex 0030 (Smooth On) is a standard for this.
For the mold there are different materials:
Stone plaster, heavy but cheap an easy to use, no fumes. To start with it could be the one to play around with.
Fiberglass+epoxy resin, the one I use. Will need some postcuring, but less than polyester resin..
Polyester+fiberglass. Styrene in polyester resin inhibits platinum silicone cure. But with a correct postcuring it can be used. I´ve used polyester for Dragon Skin and similar. Ecoflex is slower setting which makes it more sensible to inhibition. Probably better not using polyeste just in case.
Urethane resins (Might also need some postcuring)
Acrylic resin+fiberglass (or other reinforcement).

If you are new to mask making in general (don´t know if you´re also new to sculpting and modling/casting) I would suggest to start with a latex mask better.
Silicone masks imply more advanced molding and casting skills (mold with a core, laminating, degassing (if possible), injection etc. and sculpting of course)). It´s an expensive material and process. Starting with this can be frustrating and expensive, latex will be easier and cheaper to start with.
If you have these skills, forget what I said and go for it!

I love the silicon masks and figures, but here in my city don't exist any place to learn to do or stores to buy the materials, the more similar material that I can obtain are Mold max 30 or silicon for windows :lol:

Mold Max is a Smooth On product. Maybe you can get other smooth on products through the guys that supply Mold Max where you are.

yes, is smooth On supplier, but don't have all the products.
There is a Mexican supplier that sells a silicone rubber called P48, but it is less resistant than the Moldmax and over time it becomes very soft.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back