Silhouette or Cricut?

jwinger999

I've been doing a lot of paper modeling, since architecture school, but as I get older, I find that my hands can only take so many hours of cutting with an xacto blade and straight edge. I've decided to invest in a cutting machine, and I just want to see what people recommend. I have CAD, so I can generate unlimited dxf files, as well as pepakura. Any suggestions would be awesome. I'm currently leaning toward a Silhouette Cameo. If I had unlimited funds, I'd get a glowforge or other laser cutter, but All of the ones I've seen seem to be several grand.

After researching these two for months, I just now got the Silhouette. It is amazing so far. I have only made one cut, but seeing the amount of time it can save me first hand is worth it. Additionally, everyone I talked to in the community has swore that it is far better than the Cricut because of software compatibility issues and other things. (Hopefully someone here has experience with the Cricut and can chime in)

I will try to come back here and update you on my experience with it.

Silhouette.. hands down.

The Cricut (from what I recall) requires you to buy additional cartridges when you want to cut custom shapes or fonts..etc

Silhouette does NOT require you to do this.

If you have the font on your computer.. it'll work just fine.

It also allows you to import images and 'trace' them for use as cut outs...

I think there are also upgrades to the software suite.. to allow for direct import of .svg files..

as well as direct import.usage of Illustrator and photoshop file... (however I am not clear how goo that works?)

I have used mine for paper cutting, stickers.. and mostly for create solder stencils/masks for my electronics (pcb's)

I have read people use them for pep and even things like cutting cake fondant?

I have a Silhouette QuicKuts I picked up used for $60. I love it and it works great for cutting vinyl, masking tape, paper, and even thin styrene. I have only two complaints. It seems to be unable to cut very small (5mm or less) circles perfectly round, they are always small ovals. And cutting text with lots of right angles is problematic, I think it has problems turning corners. One could probably design the graphics to work around these issues. Anyway, overall it's great and I'd recommend it even for the going price of around $100. I can't compare to newer models though.

I should mention that the software can be a pain. It works fine for drawing, unless you're used to Illustrator. ;) You can import DXF and a few other formats, but it doesn't keep the scale, so you have to work around that. For I think $40 you can buy a plugin for Illustrator which I'll probably end up getting.

Silhouette Cameo - without question. I have one and it takes dxf files without any problems. It does however sometimes scale them a little weird. I get around that by putting a small lime in my file at a known dimension and then scale the file until the line is the right length.

I use it for masks, detail parts, decals, etc.

If you already know CAD, you'll be cutting stuff within 5 min of putting the box.

Hey, I like lime! Especially in my tea...

Yeah, what Tazman said. Plus, unlike some sites, you can apparently edit your post *forever* which is nice. The Silhouette sounds like the way to go.

Regards, Robert

jwinger999 which one did you choose? would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter and I sure could use some help. Where did you get started? Because there are a number to choose from. At the moment I don't want to shell out a lot of money so I was looking at desktop vinyl cutters. I've got tired of all the hype reviews that were on the net. And finally managed to find one that seems legit. On this page I've found a review that was critical. It actually showed the flaws of each machines. What do you think which one would be better.

Any help is appreciated

Only you can say what one is better.

Since you are the only one that knows what you will be using it for.

If that 'review' breaks down everything for you.. then it should have made the choice extremely easy... no?

I personally have a Silhouette Cameo (but an older one)...

Has done everything I have every needed.

Back in the day the Cricuts were junk and NEVER an option for anyone who wanted freedom and creativity.. as the Cricuts ONLY worked with pre-configured/purchased 'cartridges' for new fonts or new clipart. (I dont believe they work like that any more?)

I know this is super late, but I had the same question. Finally I just bought a Cricut. This was a bad decision, and I ended up returning it. Here's why: The Cricut is primarily made for scrapbooking and would be great if that's all you want to do. They seem to expect you to download their patterns, and that's all. It's not compatible with any third party software that I tried. You pretty much have to use their proprietary software, or mess with time-consuming and questionable work-arounds. I want to make vector art (Fusion 360 would be ideal) and click "cut". This NOT the cutter for making painting stencils or custom items. As for what is, I still don't know.

I know this is super late, but I had the same question. Finally I just bought a Cricut. This was a bad decision, and I ended up returning it. Here's why: The Cricut is primarily made for scrapbooking and would be great if that's all you want to do. They seem to expect you to download their patterns, and that's all. It's not compatible with any third party software that I tried. You pretty much have to use their proprietary software, or mess with time-consuming and questionable work-arounds. I want to make vector art (Fusion 360 would be ideal) and click "cut". This NOT the cutter for making painting stencils or custom items. As for what is, I still don't know.
There is a learning curve, but everything I've cut with my Cricut has been custom designed. I use NONE of their predesigned stuff and never will. The YouTubers cutting those predesigned kittens and hearts make it look easy; there are a few more steps for say cutting vinyl decals for prop replicas, but it's worth it and doable. I have not had to buy extra software, but was initially frustrated because Cricut's focus seems to be on selling you access to their predesigned images. YouTube videos will show you the way. Ask Adam Savage why he has one.

I have a Silhouette Portrait and I'm fine with it. I don't really like the software, but it get's it's job done.
But I am a little bit biased, cause I used to work with "real" vinyl cutters from Mimaki and they used Illustrator Plug-Ins wich made it super comfortable.
As mentioned before the Silhouette Software can import dxf files but it scales them in some way. (I haven't bothered figuring out if this is random or on what it is based on ...)
All in all it get's the job done and makes life much easier.

Second on the Silhouette Portrait. I was half the price of the Cameo but only goes up to 8" wide - but that was perfectly fine for my needs.

Having to pay extra for the supplied software to import SVG is a real dick move though. it can be easily circumvented by converting to DXF, but that just makes the decision to make it a paid option even worse!

Are there 'drivers' for the Silhouette that can make it more of a 'print driver' instead?

I thought I had found/installed them before.. (shows up in my printer options) however I never used it as a direct print option. (I use some other software that takes my GERBER files and send them directly to my CAMEO so I can make solder masks/stencils for assembling PCB's)

My primary use is solder stencils too - what do you use to cut gerbers directly? I've just been exporting the paste layer to DXF..

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! LOL

I too went the .DXF route initially. But could never get really square/symmetrical cuts..

I made some posts on it on a few sites..

but here is an old one as well:

basically someone at dangerous prototypes postsed a little app (and an additional gui/front end for it) to lets you sedn GERBER files directly to the cutter itself.. (no software in between)

I have I dont think you'll bve doing any 0402 stuff... but I have done SMD chips and and down to 0603 components without issue

Not sure what circuit/board design software you use (I use EAGLE).. but I suggest you do some pad swelling (shrinking) before sending.. it makes it easier to avoid any solder bridges on tight components..

After I get all the paste applied and components set... I use my $17 toaster oven from Wal-mart to re-flow (bake) them.. They ruen out great.. top notch!

Example on LEFT:

Some TASM kits I did here on RPF:

etc..etc

Last edited:
Ah yes I vaguely remember that site but couldn't be bothered to install all the python stuff :) DXF is working for me at the mo, I will revisit as & when I have problems...

I bought a Cameo, which I really like. I prefer it to the Cricut for the reasons stated above.

BTW, you can sidestep the DXF sizing issues mentioned here by simply saving the vector art as a PDF. The latest version of their upgraded software can import PDF's. (You have to pay for the software upgrade, though, unless you buy it from a vendor that offers the upgrade for free)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back